Buying new computer, spec question

mae_creativity

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Well, Apple has a high failure rate. I know because I have used their products in the past and I am not that satisifed, except from the iPad mini which lasted me for 3 years and it’s still working but I cracked the screen.

Well, Apple has a high failure rate. I know because I have used their products in the past and I am not that satisifed, except from the iPad mini which lasted me for 3 years and it’s still working but I cracked the screen.

I wish I could agree with you but Apple are so good that a friend of mine snapped me when I started to say its all luxury and since then I reaserched and found out myself about the story behind that I will be careful around him next time. My friend is a professional model in Los Angeles doing his software engineering from Standford university, earning around 10 lakhs in a month almost been everywhere in the world and is only 19 yrs old. No, I don’t mess up with him. Whatever he says is right 😛

Hmm. I was basing this whole decision on the SSD. I was told that it IS A MUST.

So what you are saying is news to me. 🙂

Ugh I don’t know how long it will take for my brain to understand.

What I think I do understand is the 4/8 GB RAM - that is memory and the less the comp has, the cheaper the costs. And it’s fine because you can easily buy and add more memory later.

What I’m confused about is what are all the parts that contribute to the processor speed. You say that’s the most important.

Is this correct? Intel Core: the higher (5, 7) the faster / gen: the newer the faster

Processor speed: what is the minimum I need?

What about processor model? For the HP above, I can see that the model is 7th gen and the Asus is 4th. The other numbers and letters I don’t know what they mean. But I’m assuming a model could be the best 7th gen, while the other numbers and letters mean the laptop is not better than a different machine with 5th or 6th gen.

And I wonder why you say getting 8GB RAM instead of 4 would be better–in the case that I have to get i3 instead of i5?

By the way–your new laptop that costed you $560, is less $ than the Asus I wrote about. 😒 lol.

Thanks love.

What I think I do understand is the 4/8 GB RAM - that is memory and the less the comp has, the cheaper the costs. And it’s fine because you can easily buy and add more memory later.

You got it 👍

Is this correct? Intel Core: the higher (5, 7) the faster / gen: the newer the faster

Processor speed: what is the minimum I need?

The reason me and design freak are NOT talking processor speed, because it doesn’t matter, when talking in terms of i3 vs i5. Because an i5 is obviously more POWERFUL than i3.

However, an i5 5th or 6th gen, MIGHT be same speed as an i3 7th gen.

Again trying to keep layman’s terms since you need to focus on only a few primary things instead of the entire configuration of the laptop.

What about processor model? For the HP above, I can see that the model is 7th gen and the Asus is 4th. The other numbers and letters I don’t know what they mean. But I’m assuming a model could be the best 7th gen, while the other numbers and letters mean the laptop is not better than a different machine with 5th or 6th gen.

Right, don’t need to focus on the model numbers, what matters for you is the generation. Now you know 7th gen is latest, everything else is old.

And I wonder why you say getting 8GB RAM instead of 4 would be better–in the case that I have to get i3 instead of i5?

Because when running a program, these two items: processor and ram are the KEY components. So if you are going to sacrifice the quality of one, I am telling you to boost the quality of the other to compensate. Hope that made sense.

I know, the cheapest electronics in the world is REALLY only found in the US.

Tell you what, if you wish, you can pm me here with configs of laptops within your budget, and I can suggest whether they yay 👍 or nay :thumbsdown:

Ok How about this one?

http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=37868&buy=

Intel® Core i5-7200U Processor, 3M Cache, 2.5 GHz up to 3.1 GHz
Memory
4GB (1 x 4096MB) DDR4 2133MHz (On Board)
HD
500GB (SATA) 5400rpm
Display
15.6’ (16:9) LED backlit HD (1366x768) 60Hz Glare Panel with 45% NTSC
GPU
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 520
Optical Device
8 x Super Multi Dual Layer
Webcam
VGA Web Camera
Sound
Built-in Speakers And Microphone
ASUS SonicMaster Technology
ICEpower support
Network Card
10/100 Base T
Wireless
Yes, Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth
Yes, Built-in Bluetooth? V4.0
External Ports
1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
1 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x USB-C Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
Card Reader
3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)
OS
Windows 10 Home 64Bit (Hebrew, English, Russian, Spanish, Portugal, Greek)
Weight
2 kg with Battery
Dimensions
381.4 x 251.5 x 27.6 ~27.6 mm (WxDxH)
Battery
3 Cells 36 Whrs
Power Supply
45W AC Adapter

Ok How about this one?

http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=37868&buy=

Intel® Core i5-7200U Processor, 3M Cache, 2.5 GHz up to 3.1 GHz

Memory

HD

500GB (SATA) 5400rpm

Display

15.6’ (16:9) LED backlit HD (1366x768) 60Hz Glare Panel with 45% NTSC

GPU

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 520

Optical Device

8 x Super Multi Dual Layer

Webcam

VGA Web Camera

Sound

Built-in Speakers And Microphone

ASUS SonicMaster Technology

ICEpower support

Network Card

10/100 Base T

Wireless

Yes, Integrated 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth

Yes, Built-in Bluetooth? V4.0

External Ports

1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack

1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor

1 x USB 3.0 port(s)

1 x USB 2.0 port(s)

1 x USB-C Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)

1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert

1 x HDMI

Card Reader

3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)

OS

Windows 10 Home 64Bit (Hebrew, English, Russian, Spanish, Portugal, Greek)

Weight

2 kg with Battery

Dimensions

381.4 x 251.5 x 27.6 ~27.6 mm (WxDxH)

Battery

3 Cells 36 Whrs

Power Supply

45W AC Adapter

Core i3/i5/i7 models that have an “U” in the model number are basically a terribly cut down version of the flagship models, I wouldn’t get one with that. It’s also missing an SSD, which is a must in 2017, especially on Windows 10. Plus the screen resolution is really low. The RAM is pretty fast, but 4GB is barely enough to handle a few browser tabs with Chrome for example.

If you are going to do content creational, I’d suggest you purchase a Mac, even an older, used model, such as a 2014-2015 MacBook Pro will perform perfectly. I just recently purchased the top of the line 2017 MacBook Pro 15" model, as I’m doing heavy tasks. I can really, really recommend it, Apple is really strong in that kind of stuff, which is why the majority of the content creators use Mac. The only thing that sucks about it is the $4500 price tag of course. But then you have a laptop that will perform incredibly in the following 5 years and be usable after 6-8 years still.

I had a $400 12 inch ACER for four years without one problem and it had an underpowered little processor too. When it finally malfunctioned I wished I had bought a few for backups.

Right now I have a 13 inch Alienware that is incredible but wasn’t cheap. I prefer small laptops. I have a 17 inch Alienware that is too bulky for me.

it’s depends on what you will be using laptop for, laptop isn’t a pc which is in laptop you only get a packages and couldn’t changes some of hardware parts except RAM and memory ( if available to upgrade the RAM and Memory ), ram’s different with memory ( HDD or SSD ).

• core i5 minimum for nowadays.
• if you want to use your laptop in a low activity, use 4GB minimum of RAM and
SSD will might help and light.
• if you want to use your laptop in a medium or high activity, use 8GB / 16GB / more than
16GB of RAM.

note : don’t forget about vga.

Hope this helps. 😸 and oh don’t forget about the battery life.

My dream laptop is 2 - 4 Ghz with RAM more than 16GB of RAM with 1TB SSD 😊

I had a $400 12 inch ACER for four years without one problem and it had an underpowered little processor too. When it finally malfunctioned I wished I had bought a few for backups.

Right now I have a 13 inch Alienware that is incredible but wasn’t cheap. I prefer small laptops. I have a 17 inch Alienware that is too bulky for me.

it’s good for gaming 😸

Hello Mae, careful there, while generally you can upgrade RAM by buying additional RAM sticks and adding to it/swapping the current one against a stick with more GB (too), your specs say

the casually bracketed On Board meaning soldered on and not upgradeable!

I wouldn´t buy a laptop I intend to use a few years if I couldn´t swap/upgrade the RAM, my current one had 8 GB when I got it, and I upgraded to 16 after I´ve had it for a while, and it was a very noticeable difference.

Thanks @lineupads, @misscrystal, @psychicbunny, @avextor, @miiila

I agree and now have figured out what specs I need, but I need two things:

1. To buy a laptop + a ton of equipment for videography
    and
  2. To travel in Europe for a few weeks soon because I just have to for my sanity (I live in a pressure cooker country + I have the need to travel in my DNA).

So, I’ve accepted that the laptop I get is gonna be nowhere close to having the best specs.

It’s either the best specs or no travel 😉

Europeans will have to accept me with my slow processor and few GB 😊

How come there’s no emoji of a sloth? My new laptop will be super slow but cute.
sloth.JPG.62d5b136c5a7e7139ac5c037c59a9ba7.JPG

and

2. To travel in Europe for a few weeks soon because I just have to for my sanity (I live in a pressure cooker country + I have the need to travel in my DNA).

So, I’ve accepted that the laptop I get is gonna be nowhere close to having the best specs.

How come there’s no emoji of a sloth? My new laptop will be super slow but cute.

d3b5061491cf942839e4ea33324e4e672a6bbe72.JPG

How come there’s no emoji of a sloth?

favicon.5a0c77a8815cfcc67c710199054a55c6.icoBuzzFeed
theres-a-sloth-emoji-thats-been-hiding-under-our--2-28285-1438360057-5_dblbig.jpg

There's A Sloth Emoji That's Been Hiding Under Our Noses This Entire Time

VERY IMPORTANT SLOTH NEWS.

and

😸

and

d3b5061491cf942839e4ea33324e4e672a6bbe72.JPG

For traveling you might want to check out the MacBook (not the Pro nor the Air, as even though the Air is getting updates it’s outdated as hell)

Apple
og_image.png?201712140558

MacBook

The incredibly thin and light MacBook features new seventh-generation processors, faster SSD storage, and up to 10 hours of battery life.

It’s super light and has an incredible battery life (10-12 hours of web browsing or video playback) and it’s just a great laptop overall. Not the strongest on specifications wise, but as long as you don’t want to edit 8K footage on it, it should hold up pretty well. I’m most likely going to purchase it and use as a secondary laptop for traveling and coffee shop meetings.

@miiila hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha 🙂

How did you even know about that?

❤️ May

It miiight be that I happened to google sloth baby videos as I wanted to show a specific one I´d seen some time to someone and saw this link somehow. 😎

For traveling you might want to check out the MacBook (not the Pro nor the Air, as even though the Air is getting updates it’s outdated as hell)

Apple
og_image.png?201712140558

MacBook

The incredibly thin and light MacBook features new seventh-generation processors, faster SSD storage, and up to 10 hours of battery life.

It’s super light and has an incredible battery life (10-12 hours of web browsing or video playback) and it’s just a great laptop overall. Not the strongest on specifications wise, but as long as you don’t want to edit 8K footage on it, it should hold up pretty well. I’m most likely going to purchase it and use as a secondary laptop for traveling and coffee shop meetings.

@lineupads everything you’ve said is great advice for choosing a great laptop. But they are also the kinds of laptops that are waaaaaaaaay over my budget.

Archived