Friendly or Professional?

ghemachandar1

In my case it depends on the buyer, how they write, what their attitude appears to be, their use of emoticons or lack thereof, the way they greet me or don’t greet me, their nickname (whether it’s funny, cryptic, real name, etc.)

Using all the above factors, I use either a professional or a friendly tone (or a mix of both) based on how I feel the buyer indirectly expects of me.

I know, I may be giving this too much thought for each of my clients, but it works miracles when you detect or sense the preferred expected tone of the buyer - it’s one of those little things that can turn a good experience into a great one, or make a buyer become a regular or a big tipper 😉

P.S. whenever I can’t sense anything from the buyer’s side in regards to this, I use a professional tone as a fallback solution

you detect or sense the preferred expected tone of the buyer

You are a mind reader. That takes a special skill 🙂

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant be friendly but professional.

Professional should come first. Of course I use first names. Do not ask for tips.

This is horrifying if anyone actually does this.

Do not ask for tips.

This is horrifying if anyone actually does this.

❤️ x 1000!

I’ve had handful of sellers do this. I actually did tip some of them because I was going to anyways.

I never bought from then again.

It’s a weird feeling. If I don’t tip, then I feel like a tight wad. If I do tip then it validates them writing that statement.

When possible I do use their name

Guess what? I go to great lengths to find a buyer’s name when they don’t give it. My buyers give me their websites, so a simple “whois” search gives me their public records, hence their name. (even a Google search for their nickname reveals interesting stuff #i_stalker). And when I call them by name, they get friendly. It’s weird, but it always worked 😃

P.S. tip: when I have a buyer who is also a seller, I also look at their testimonials and I see how their own buyers mentioned their name 😃

Woofy,

You’re creeping me out.

Guest render_worx

Guess what? I go to great lengths to find a buyer’s name when they don’t give it. My buyers give me their websites, so a simple “whois” search gives me their public records, hence their name. (even a Google search for their nickname reveals interesting stuff #i_stalker). And when I call them by name, they get friendly. It’s weird, but it always worked 😃

P.S. tip: when I have a buyer who is also a seller, I also look at their testimonials and I see how their own buyers mentioned their name 😃

I get ya, I usually go around trash bins in my neighborhood in search of torn bills, to get to know the names of my neighbors even much further down the road. However they do look surprised when I call them out by their first names, especially the ones that moved in not too long ago, and see me for the second or third time.

Perhaps in the long run I do make friends and we will all be happy neighbours! 😂

I get ya, I usually go around trash bins in my neighborhood in search of torn bills, to get to know the names of my neighbors even much further down the road. However they do look surprised when I call them out by their first names, especially the ones that moved in not too long ago, and see me for the second or third time.

Perhaps in the long run I do make friends and we will all be happy neighbours! 😂

I get ya, I usually go around trash bins in my neighborhood in search of torn bills, to get to know the names of my neighbors even much further down the road. However they do look surprised when I call them out by their first names

What?! And I thought I was a stalker 😂 Anyway, yeah, that is an expected reaction in real life, but on the web it always works for me, my buyers are happy when I know their names because they feel like I know them, care about their problems, and they see I’m not a money-making machine but actually a human who gives them a personalized treatment.

Bottom line: we should not treat our buyers like an opportunity to make money. Giving a personal experience to each buyer as a unique individual will make them happy!

Guest render_worx

I get ya, I usually go around trash bins in my neighborhood in search of torn bills, to get to know the names of my neighbors even much further down the road. However they do look surprised when I call them out by their first names

What?! And I thought I was a stalker 😂 Anyway, yeah, that is an expected reaction in real life, but on the web it always works for me, my buyers are happy when I know their names because they feel like I know them, care about their problems, and they see I’m not a money-making machine but actually a human who gives them a personalized treatment.

Bottom line: we should not treat our buyers like an opportunity to make money. Giving a personal experience to each buyer as a unique individual will make them happy!

And I thought I was a stalker

You are, Im just next level 😂

I once used the who:is option to see a website of a company that had sent me work so I could give them my rates.

The company stated it is located in Germany, however on the who:is web page it turned out that the “company” was located in Poland in the next city 😂 So there was someone going after to check my rates no doubt 🙂

So there is more usefulness to this option that one thinks 🙂

But overall I agree with you, however a joke once in a while does help brighten up the forum 😄

I would go with the misture of both. Grab the attention of your buyers with an informal but friendly introduction. Then describe your services in a professional manner. It’ll make your buyers realize you are attentive and serious when it needs to be. For instance, if you are selling your gig under “Article & Blog Post” section, you can always use a friendly tone to show-off your reader catching skills & creativity. And of course, being simple isn’t a bad idea to present yourself, is it?? But, your professionalism should not be missing in any of your approach while conversating with the clients…
🙂

I kind of change it depending on how the buyer seems (some like to chat, others just want to get work done). I respect both and respond accordingly.

I sometimes incorporate a 🙂 at the end of a message, but I always remain professional even if I am being friendly (meaning no slang/shorthand, etc.).

I kind of change it depending on how the buyer seems (some like to chat, others just want to get work done). I respect both and respond accordingly.

I sometimes incorporate a 🙂 at the end of a message, but I always remain professional even if I am being friendly (meaning no slang/shorthand, etc.).

I sometimes incorporate a 🙂 at the end of a message

Ha, I always use a 🙂 after each greeting (e.g. "Hey there 🙂 "), and sometimes I end up using 🙂 after each sentence :stuck_out_tongue: old habits/remnants from the Yahoo Messenger era…

@

Woofy31, I absolutely agree! I am very professional up front, but once I begin to use their name, buyers respond very well. I especially strive for that when they leave a review. If I say “Thanks, Dave, for your thoughtful review!” it always helps. AND - other buyers see that review, and appreciate the level of interpersonal connection.

I agree, weird, but it works amazingly well! One of the best Customer Service tips someone could ever share!

I don’t use 🙂

This is a business and not a friendly informal chat session. That’s just my opinion but I wouldn’t want to get a 🙂 from a seller.

It would make me feel like why is this person being inappropriate?

Remind me to restrain myself from using emoticons or a friendly tone if we ever cross roads 😃 Maybe I’ll say “dear ma’am” just for the kicks 😂

I think you can judge from his/her way of writing. Obviously, if he/she wants to be franked with you they might will do some funny conversations with you. But in my opinion 😇 this smiley is enough for every kind of buyers. Mostly people like professionalism.

But we cannot give any exact statement about this.

Depends on the person. There are some clients I chat with in a very friendly manner, and there are others with whom I am very formal and professional. I think I am good at judging people, so never got into trouble for this. [but I am generally VERY professional, as some of you who have sent messages to my inbox will know. My behavior on Fiverr.com and Fiverr Forum are very different, as it should be.]

Depends on the person. There are some clients I chat with in a very friendly manner, and there are others with whom I am very formal and professional. I think I am good at judging people, so never got into trouble for this. [but I am generally VERY professional, as some of you who have sent messages to my inbox will know. My behavior on Fiverr.com and Fiverr Forum are very different, as it should be.]

My behavior on Fiverr.com and Fiverr Forum are very different,

Yes. Every seller that I interact with on Forum vice inbox are like you. It’s always more professional on main vs forum.

it’s important to respond politely and actually listen to what the Buyer was asking

How do you listen and talk to “that” buyer who threatens you to leave e negative (and uses bad language) if you don’t give them the extra stuff they are asking for free? 😃

65932_1.png Woofy31:

it’s important to respond politely and actually listen to what the Buyer was asking

How do you listen and talk to “that” buyer who threatens you to leave e negative (and uses bad language) if you don’t give them the extra stuff they are asking for free? 😃

Hmm…I would tell them a NO for sure and add "If this is how you value my skill and expertise, I’m afraid, may not be able to help you next time around. "

Not a single buyer replied! 😕 Nevermind, categorized thread in ‘Tips for Sellers’.

In the end of the day, being friendly is ENDEARING whereas being professional gains RESPECT. Both a valuable in it’s own way and can’t go wrong with either. (Just don’t overdo it; Got burnt once by a stiff-upperlip British golfer for being too friendly, lol!).

I think It’s better to be professional by default - I’m sure most Buyers are here to get their work done a diligent and hassle free manner but not to get endeared by someone three oceans away.

I become more friendly over time with repeat buyers since we get to know each other.
I prefer professional at first. After all I am a professional at my core. I strive for excellence in each order and my attitude reflects that. Buyers can get “friendly” from anyone.
But they are paying for professionalism.

Archived