It pays to overdeliver!

Guest allason

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weel, friends… Sometimes in life you get back whatever the good you have done from another source. So, if one buyer doesn’t respect what you offered for free, another one will show up and be grateful! Have you ever noticed that? I have a dear buyer who comes back again and he is really so generous!

happyspace 🙂

Reply to @stnathy: I completely agree. However, I have learned that you will not be able to please everyone (no matter how much you overdeliver) and that you need to be careful that you’re not doing so for 1 buyer at the expense of other buyers or yourself. I start off with my gigs by trying to deliver earlier than the deadline and by providing a bonus. If a buyer isn’t happy with the result, I try my best to understand what they were expecting. I ask them this directly, not in a weird “well what did you think you’d be getting” type of way but more so in the “what type of deliverables would you have liked to receive from this order” way. In most cases those who seemed to want to report that they were unhappy never even answer.

For others, I’ll listen to their answer and take it into consideration. If what they’re asking me for can be done quickly in between other orders (such as answers to a few questions) or isn’t eating into time set aside for other activities in my life (such as spending time with family, going on a trip or sleeping), I’ll go ahead and give it to them. If, however, they’re asking for something that could amount to an entirely new gig (in terms of work and time), then I’ll politely let them know that and reiterate what the gig description says. They may still leave negative feedback but at least I know I did everything I could. I can’t sacrifice other buyers and orders just to make the one happy. And really, the more I stick to this I’m likely to eventually flood out their one negative order with other positive ones.

As a buyer I try to be respectful of each seller and read over the description for their gigs and extras multiple times. There is a LOT of talent here and then there are people who are just sloppy, looking to deliver quantity and not quality. One guy didn’t even read the notes for my request and spent maybe 10 seconds (if that) on an image. I did a better job and I am not a photoshop expert, but can make a clean clone. If that wasn’t bad enough he kept referring to me as “sir” even after I corrected him.

Over delivering goes a long way both here and in life. I am the person who will go to the manager in a restaurant when I get great service AND will tweet about it and share with my social networks. Great service goes a long way and you never know who your buyer may be or know.

teknogrrlz said: Over delivering goes a long way both here and in life. I am the person who will go to the manager in a restaurant when I get great service AND will tweet about it and share with my social networks. Great service goes a long way and you never know who your buyer may be or know.

That is so true!

I know I’m kinda late to this thread, but I wanted to say that it really helps generate happy customers if you over deliver, but at some point I think it is overkill. At some point buyers are going to expect people to overdeliver and then it becomes a moot point and doesn’t provide the “wow” factor people really get impressed by.

jasveena said: Reply to @adnagam: I can relate to you sometimes you need let them know you are overdelivering!

I agree. It's hard to receive the benefit you want from over-delivering if your buyers don't really realize that you're doing so. I tend to tell our buyers something like "We've decided to do X for you. This would normally cost an additional X amount of dollars, but we are happy to do it for you in order to ensure you get the most from this order." That has worked well for our team so far, and has even resulted in repeat orders or orders of our other gigs by the same buyers.

They in turn give glowing reviews and recommend us to others they know because they're so happy with the extra mile we were willing to go for them. A win-win for everyone!

In regards to the OP post,

I think exceeding customer expectations generally breeds positive results regardless of it being fiverr, the food industry, sales, or anything customer service related for that matter.

I have a server friend who will always offer something free (small albeit) to her customers as she knows that it will result in a much larger tip at the end of their meal. It’s a pretty universal concept and works very well for both ends of the deal. The customer gets something a little extra for no cost and the seller gets a potential regular customer and some word-of-mouth marketing. Which is the most valuable form of marketing, of course. 😉

That shows your commitment level and shows how deeply you care about your clients. This quality should be in every seller on Fiverr, recently I hired someone on Fiverr and he didn’t even had time for a 5 min s***e chat with me despite of the fact that I paid $100 upfront. On top of that he gave me some very rude comments and remarks. 😦

Archived