It pays to overdeliver!

allason

I agree yes 100% it pays to over deliver! When it comes to over delivering then it needs to happen, with any service, going the extra mile or even an extra few miles for the client is always advised. You are more likely to get repeat customers and good reviews but at the end of the day you need to think that someone has just given you there hard earned money and they have chosen to give it to you and not any one of the 7billion+ other people in the world.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you. From my personal experience with Fiverr, sometimes one needs to be very patient with some buyers and go extra miles for them so they can be satisfied with your work.

However, I understand how frustrating it is when one orders a $5 gig and seems to be so hard to please. Sellers should just see it as customers service and learn to deal with all. The most important thing would be to find a common ground that leaves all parties especially your client happy at the end. It’s not good for business that you have a very frustrated or angry client on your hands.

Reply to @guruofbacklinks:

It was a $20 gig, but as you say, I don’t think the amount matters. It is building good relations, which have paid off as I have a loyal client who I enjoy writing for. And by overdelivering with all sizes of gigs, to varying degrees, I have great repeat buyers, which is exactly what I wanted.

And, I love your example of the big gig waiting in the wings. Very good point!

Over-delivery is definitely a good thing to strive for. I’ve worked retail my entire career, and in every job, it’s been unspokent policy to go above and beyond. Sometimes I find it difficult to do in a less face-to-face market, but that does not mean customer relations are any less important. That said, there should always be a line. If “over-deliver” to you means “stress until every detail no matter how unreasonable is covered” try to re-evaluate.

Yes, over delivering is good! My latest buyer ordered a single gig and I delivered in half the time. They ordered 3 more the next day. I delivered in a few hours. Later that night, the same buyer then ordered 20 gigs! I was stoked. Again, all of the orders were done in half the specified time. I’d like to think that my promptness had something to do with it. 😉

guruofbacklinks said: and begin building their reputation

You can end up building a reputation of working like a slave on the off-chance that a buyer will 'grace you' with a future purchase.

I treat every client extremely well - here and in my 'real' work, but personally, I would rather not have a repeat customer who only values the fact that they can take advantage of me.

Reply to @itsyourthing:

I am not sure that I can agree that doing a bit extra is being taken advantage of. I think that going the extra mile is good business.

I find the phrase “working like a slave” to be one that implies by doing a bit extra you are being a doormat and I can’t agree with that, or the choice of words.

But you are right, it isn’t about being treated badly, but about valuing clients/buyers.

Archived