Odds Stacked Against a New Seller?

l10voices

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered from a complete newb with zero orders. She/he submitted a pdf file for the article I wanted written. This is a complete newbie mistake. Pdf files are completely useless 99% of the time since it has broken formatting. For example, in all decent document file types, a paragraph is a paragraph. In pdfs, a paragraph is a series of broken lines, with sentences cut off 2-4 times.

Okay, sure I was polite and asked for a revision. No reply yet but it shouldn’t be a problem.

But this illustrates the dangers of ordering from newbies, you get mistakes like this that will delay delivery and give me extra (although minor) aggravation.

So I guess I am saying that even if buyers do notice you, most Fiverr buyers are still reluctant to use new sellers. In my experience, buying from rookies has its inherent dangers.

Update:

Well, thank goodness that the seller responded and sent me the file in the proper format. I was worried but it’s alright now. Phew.

I have completed 250 orders and this is the first and only time that someone has submitted an article in pdf format. Lol.

New sellers often do crazy things. I once had a seller upload their work to a public sharing website before he submitted it to me. There was even one guy who posted his article on reddit the same time he submitted it to me.

The worst was when one guy submitted his article and it was exactly the same as what was on ten other websites. The seller said he owned that article therefore it was his work and I should pay him for that. Smh.

Some people, especially those with zero gigs sold, just don’t take this seriously as work, it’s just a joke to them.

I’ve always been open to using new sellers but stuff like this really doesn’t help.

I exclusively deliver to my clients in PDF format. It’s a cross industry standard in the business world for decades, is the most universal as far as formats go (except perhaps for rich text), and no matter what operating system/device/application/display it opens on; my work is guaranteed to look the same… exactly as I intend it to be presented… ensuring my branding and letterhead remain intact.

Portable Document Format is simply a fancy image. It’s static. However it’s easy enough to highlight and copy/paste any text into which ever word processor you like.

That said, I also offer my deliveries in Apple Pages/MS Word formats upon request. But I always include my standard PDF format. It ensures a record of my work in a static archive, protecting and building my brand.

I think I spent a month just reading the forums and listening to the podcast before I seriously invested time working my brand on Fiverr®. It’s a great production with fantastic hosts. Listening to them is a great way to learn some tactical advantages to apply to our own Gigs™. I even placed an order with Twistedweb123 to experience his service from a buyer’s perspective. It was a great help in understanding how a top seller interacts with clients… and walked away with some ideas to apply with my own service.

I have taken time to go through some of your comments here, but I think I share the sentiments of the thread owner…the odds are hugely stacked against newbies…however one should NEVER give up…hopefully it will only be a matter of time. The newbie stage are the days of little beginning which should not be despised…my 2cents

How would you describe your voice? Because that’s should be reflected in your gig title.

You have a great voice, to me it sounds deep, sexy, perfect for BMW, whiskey, PNC Bank (yes, I watched your gig video). Try searching like your client, search sexy voice, deep voice, deep male voice, man voice, VO, conservative VO, etc. Then write your gig title accordingly.

I believe every gig should mention what you do and how long it takes you,. i.e. I will record a deep male VOICEOVER in 3 days for $5
I will record a MANLY voiceover in 7 days for $5

Also, not every gig category gets a lot of orders. You should create other gigs, maybe teach people how to do VO, for example. Got abilities as an audio engineer? Maybe you can do a bit of that. Edit 30 seconds for $5.

The odds aren’t stacked against new sellers, we all start a new sellers and those who keep at it will rise to level 1, level 2, maybe even TRS.

Thanks excelstudio. More frustrating than anything else–but hold on–news bulletin, I got my first gig Friday afternoon, and got a positive review. Now I just need to hang out at these here at the forum learn, and figure this out. I decided I need to build my base one client at a time and be patient.

fastcopywriter, thank you so much. Incredible ideas. I am grateful for your time, response and helpful suggestions, which I will get to and look forward to rise to level 1, and continue to grow. Everyone has been so helpful, I appreciate it.

Good news and to increase revenues. But I think there should be a package for poster, as well as there are more 20 image to be cut out background, and one have 1-5 image. images furnishing is time consumable work. SO IT SHOULD BE.

When I first started 14 months ago, I set up my gigs and part of me thought the orders might come flooding in straight away! Then I was sad when that didn’t happen, two weeks with pretty much crickets from memory… so I read up on how to optimise my gigs, read through all the forum posts on how to get started etc etc. Getting the first say 10 reviews, was the most critical to getting a bit of momentum, as it was SO hard getting those first reviews, so I trawled the buyers requests, did jobs that I wouldn’t dream of doing now - things for $5, that I would now charge $100 for. I figured the first few gigs, were like a marketing exercise to build a portfolio and some ratings and didn’t think too much about making money off them. A little frustrating yes, but it allowed me to slowly build my prices over a year, to a point where I am pretty happy with them.

Also, when I started out, I had a few different gigs - so I could see what worked best in terms of title, tags, content etc. The gig that is now my main gig, was actually an afterthought, that I set up on a whim after I did my initial gigs, but for some reason, the title/description etc, had a better conversion /order rate than the other ones, so I stopped the others and just stuck with what was working. Had I not created multiple gigs in the beginning, I wouldn’t have realised that however, so I do recommend experimenting with that. 🙂

Apart from that, it takes a lot of patience. Voiceover is a super crowded category, but if you’re talented and build up good clients over time, you’ll get the orders you deserve 🙂

My pleasure, I’m always rooting for new sellers. Just remember, Fiverr is limitless, almost anything can become a gig.

Sometimes the right keyword can bring you happened. That’s what happened to me with Teespring, I thought I would get rich from selling t-shirts, instead I made a lot of money writing headlines for them.

I had written “I will write 10 headlines for Tshirts,” my traffic would have been low, but because I wrote “I will write 10 headlines for Teespring Tees,” I was found often. Sometimes by the wrong people, people who wanted t-shirt designs which is why I had put “I don’t design t-shirts, I just write headlines for them” in my gig description.

Your other struggle is figuring out how to reach customers that don’t know terms like “youtube.” They might be searching “record a radio commercial” or “record radio,” “voice for youtube” or “announcer.”

I haven’t tried this, but maybe customer service can tell you which keywords to use if you explain your gig.

You are not in anyway at disadvantage as newbie, we all passed through that stage.

As I know, all videos are 1 min long and I particularly find asking buyers to visit my page when i respond to buyers’ request a better option to allow them make informed decision about buying my gig.

Making your first sales is a matter of time and if you have setup your gig well and communicating well with potential customers, its a matter of time getting swarmed in sales.

One more thing, read various threads on how to get orders on fiverr and apply what makes sense to you.

Very soon, I bet you would share testimonies of bumper sales on this platform.

Cheers 🙂

Archived