How to spot and avoid scammers [archived]

vinegraphics

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOST of the gigs in the Logo Intros category are templates downloaded from websites like videohive and pond5 and are being sold illegally here on Fiverr. A lot of the gigs come from top rated sellers.
I don’t think Fiverr doesn’t know about these. But nothing is being done about them.

• 4 weeks later...

“I need to make more sales. I know, I’ll find a thread that hates my service and is also a year old and use that as a part of my marketing strategy, that will definitely work. I just need to be reassuring and drive people to my website. What could possibly go wrong with this awesome plan”

Zzzzzz. If you can’t even get self promotion right, I doubt you do a great job with your “real followers”.

What? Some other website does do scam people? How awfully shocking!

I’m so pleased that your website is so totally safe and legit. I’ll be right over and order as soon as the world bank gets the suitcase full of money that somehow belongs to me from the lost property area of Denver airport. See you soon!

These are all scams,I don’t believe them!

SPAM is an annoying method to get you to do something and sometimes people spam just for fun and to annoy others.
SCAM is a kind of thing where someone harms you for personal gains such as stealing something from you. (so it’s more painful)

Look at the above poster to me. He is spamming this board with his service, which is a “scam” according to this post, and claiming that its not right despite having no reviews. Spam, scam… what is the difference between the two words for some people?

I do a lot of social media marketing for myself and as a service on Fiverr, and have my own Twitter accounts with large numbers of followers which I have collected over the years. My lists are cleaned at least once a week by removing fake and inactive followers. I never, ever buy followers. Accounts I followed one week are removed the following week if they have not followed back or have not shown any activity. Very often, before following an account that does not seem 100% right I check it through a free website called ¨Fake Followers¨ (that’s only for Twitter) and if it has more than 6% of fake and/or inactive followers, I do not follow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ghrake

If you call out a scammer they refund your money, but when they have 5,000+ completed gigs you realize that 5,000+ people were too dumb to know it was a scam

Buyers should take their time before ordering any seller’s gigs. Scammers are every where around but it’s up to you how to order the right person-person who is more passionate to prove himself/herself rather than just trying to get more and more orders.

Personally if I cannot perform any task when a buyer asks me, I refuse him straight away before ordering my gigs.

I don’t know if this would be considered a scam, you tell me??? But this guy states that he can send your music to 1500 blogs and then he sends you a list of the blogs, but I went through the list to see if any of the posts were on these blogs and I can’t even find the blog sites at all…I found maybe 4 out of 1500 but 2 were the ones he sent and those only had 3 people post from 2009. When I asked him why don’t I see not only the blog sites but we’re getting no views from the link?? out of 1500 blog sites, I would expect at least 1 click if not more…His response was “Hey I don’t control if they post it, I just send it to them”…So did I just pay for a hope? And who are “they” if there is no blog site?

• 1 year later...

I bought a gig from a certain seller based on his work examples he put on his gig. They are still there. He might have plagiarized from someone. When he delivered, I was shocked to see product.

He does not have any idea. He was ignorant about the product he was selling. I tried to help him deliver my gig. I gave him several suggestion. Still, no use! It kept on repeating till I lost my patience. And I raised a dispute. Asking fiverr to cancel and take action against the seller for taking me for a ride.

Fiverr only conveyed my message to the seller. He refused to cancel. And there seems to be no action from Fiverr. Except delivering his message that he cannot cancel his order.

As a concession, I asked the seller to rework. He refused. And there is no way of contacting the administration team to arbitrate. Does it mean that he cheated me brazenly and got away with that?

Is fiverr a pro-seller entity not a buyers one?

Can anyone please help me deal with this situation where a seller cheats with impunity and robs buyers of valuable time and money?

On 5/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, msnarayana said:

I bought a gig from a certain seller based on his work examples he put on his gig. They are still there. He might have plagiarized from someone. When he delivered, I was shocked to see product.

He does not have any idea. He was ignorant about the product he was selling. I tried to help him deliver my gig. I gave him several suggestion. Still, no use! It kept on repeating till I lost my patience. And I raised a dispute. Asking fiverr to cancel and take action against the seller for taking me for a ride.

Fiverr only conveyed my message to the seller. He refused to cancel. And there seems to be no action from Fiverr. Except delivering his message that he cannot cancel his order.

As a concession, I asked the seller to rework. He refused. And there is no way of contacting the administration team to arbitrate. Does it mean that he cheated me brazenly and got away with that?

If the delivery doesn’t match that seller’s gig description, Fiverr will cancel the order for you as long as you tell them that.

But if the seller delivered what their gig description states, then I don’t know if you’ll be able to cancel. If you don’t like the delivery but it matches the gig description, then you can leave a negative review instead for other buyers to see 😉 You can’t ask to rework the entire order if it matches the gig description.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, msnarayana said:

Did you know that many sellers around here think that Fiverr is pro-buyer? So that means Fiverr doesn’t take any sides 😉 

On 5/18/2017 at 2:03 PM, woofy31 said:

If the delivery doesn’t match that seller’s gig description, Fiverr will cancel the order for you as long as you tell them that.

But if the seller delivered what their gig description states, then I don’t know if you’ll be able to cancel. If you don’t like the delivery but it matches the gig description, then you can leave a negative review instead for other buyers to see 😉 You can’t ask to rework the entire order if it matches the gig description.

Did you know that many sellers around here think that Fiverr is pro-buyer? So that means Fiverr doesn’t take any sides 😉 

Thanks for your reply. But how do I ask fiverr to intervene?

BTW I am also a seller

The delivery did not match the seller’s gallery. And he can not do what he promises in his gallery. He is a novice to his own gig. How to weed out such guys?

The delivery did not match the seller’s gallery. And he can not do what he promises in his gallery. He is a novice to his own gig. How to weed out such guys?

The delivery did not match the seller’s gallery

The gallery’s purpose is to show you the seller’s portfolio, that means his/her past work from other clients. Saying that your work doesn’t match the seller’s gallery is a subjective comparison, which usually does not make a valid reason for cancelling (unless the gig description says you’ll receive what you see in the gallery).

Again, if you don’t like the work but it matches the gig description, then you can leave a negative review to warn other buyers about this.

So, if the delivery matches the gig description, which is the objective comparison, then you can’t do much about it except contact Fiverr Customer Support and ask if there’s something else that can be done.

P.S. did you know that gig galleries can show work from buyers who demanded specific things outside of the gig’s boundaries? this is why it is a subjective comparison, and this is why the comparison should be made against the gig description instead 😉

Archived