How to spot and avoid scammers [archived]

vinegraphics

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is hard on this site to tell what you’re getting into if there is no sense of trust. To have help with a web page for example- you have to trust the seller won’t do damage and then hold it hostage for you to pay him to fix it. Such was the case with a SEO who promised “Organic” social media views but actually damaged my shop account (won’t say which one it was) by sending huge black hat direct traffic to my page that would be impossible to generate unless was underhanded…I looked bad and the site has locked me out of customers view mainline…no one normal view since

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if this would be considered a scam, you tell me??? But this guy states that he can send your music to 1500 blogs and then he sends you a list of the blogs, but I went through the list to see if any of the posts were on these blogs and I can’t even find the blog sites at all…I found maybe 4 out of 1500 but 2 were the ones he sent and those only had 3 people post from 2009. When I asked him why don’t I see not only the blog sites but we’re getting no views from the link?? out of 1500 blog sites, I would expect at least 1 click if not more…His response was “Hey I don’t control if they post it, I just send it to them”…So did I just pay for a hope? And who are “they” if there is no blog site?

I don’t know if this would be considered a scam, you tell me??? But this guy states that he can send your music to 1500 blogs and then he sends you a list of the blogs, but I went through the list to see if any of the posts were on these blogs and I can’t even find the blog sites at all…I found maybe 4 out of 1500 but 2 were the ones he sent and those only had 3 people post from 2009. When I asked him why don’t I see not only the blog sites but we’re getting no views from the link?? out of 1500 blog sites, I would expect at least 1 click if not more…His response was “Hey I don’t control if they post it, I just send it to them”…So did I just pay for a hope? And who are “they” if there is no blog site?

Do you want a blog review or something?

People on fiverr only send at most 200 blog reviews on their site.

Next is the profile backlinks.

Using automated software services to create pages and backlinks

• 4 months later...

Nice necromancy!

No one can sell guaranteed followers. If someone does, they are fake, and will get removed over time. Can take a day or can take a year. They serve no benefit, other than to make your page look more popular. But can also bring trouble, as it’s not allowed to have fake followers, last I checked.

Only way to get real followers that stay or may not stay is to get traffic flowing to your twitter page. If those people like what you tweet about, they might even end up following you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest qwikfingers1

I’ve used Fiverr a few times and have found that 99% of the sellers are outside of the US, unqualified and only looking to make a buck. They charge a lot and deliver crap. I’ve had to demand refunds and now am done and closed my account. Fiverr sellers also set up profiles as if they’re in the US and post a photo of a Caucasian man or woman and then write a bio with their name as EVA or NANCY, etc. in cap letters. The syntax of their writing is so fragmented that it’s obvious that they’re foreign. I finally got one seller to admit that he was in Pakistan because I promised a lot of regular work in the future if he’d just admit where he was located. I filed a complaint and Fiverr didn’t remove that seller. Customer service is of zero help, they send canned responses with no intention of making change. When payment processes it goes to Ireland. I have no problem working with those outside of the US for certain projects but I don’t like being lied to. Don’t waste your time with this sham of a company.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, qwikfingers1 said:

I’ve used Fiverr a few times and have found that 99% of the sellers are outside of the US

I’ve used Fiverr a few times and have found that 99% of the sellers are outside of the US

Clearly speculation but even if true, SO?

unqualified 

Try paying rates which are actually commensurate with what you are looking for.

looking to make a buck

That is called being in business.

Fiverr sellers also set up profiles as if they’re in the US and post a photo of a Caucasian man or woman and then write a bio with their name as EVA or NANCY, etc. in cap letters. The syntax of their writing is so fragmented that it’s obvious that they’re foreign.

Perhaps you should change this to “SOME sellers” because you are making a sweeping generalization and I strongly suspect you have not hired or even checked the profile of the 100,000+ sellers it would require to be able to make that statement in an accurate way.

When payment processes it goes to Ireland

Fiverr is not a US company - get over it.

Don’t waste your time with this sham of a company.

The site sells over a million gigs per month, seems like you are in the minority in terms of your bad experience.

Anyway, I used to have sympathy with buyers who come to the forum and rant about a bad experience but from what I have seen those who come to rant are also those who pay minimal, third-world rates and are then surprised when it doesnt work out.

I have bought over 200 times here, spending thousands of dollars and have had about 10 bad experiences which I was refunded for each time by a helpful customer support team. If the site doesn’t work for you then perhaps take a look at how you are using it and what you are actually expecting for the money you pay. 

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

It sounds like you were happy with at least one thing you got:

Qwikfingers

This Seller worked with me throughout the entire process of customizing my Wordpress theme. He finished in just a few short hours. He was friendly and made suggestions. I highly recommend his services. I will buy from him again.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Fiverr has proven itself to not be an above board company by allowing sham sellers to get away with lying. I’m willing to pay a decent amount but not to liars and not for subpar work. You can just get over yourself.

giphy.gif.a0bc340c4d6b64b3dcb12393b0814630.gif

Do you want a blog review or something?

People on fiverr only send at most 200 blog reviews on their site.

Next is the profile backlinks.

Using automated software services to create pages and backlinks

this guy states that he can send your music to 1500 blogs and then he sends you a list of the blogs

Anyone can buy a list of anything, verifying if the list is a good one or not takes time. I would have more faith in a seller that promises to contact 10 blogs than one who e-mails 1,500.

I’ve used Fiverr a few times and have found that 99% of the sellers are outside of the US, unqualified and only looking to make a buck. They charge a lot and deliver crap. I’ve had to demand refunds and now am done and closed my account. Fiverr sellers also set up profiles as if they’re in the US and post a photo of a Caucasian man or woman and then write a bio with their name as EVA or NANCY, etc. in cap letters. The syntax of their writing is so fragmented that it’s obvious that they’re foreign. I finally got one seller to admit that he was in Pakistan because I promised a lot of regular work in the future if he’d just admit where he was located. I filed a complaint and Fiverr didn’t remove that seller. Customer service is of zero help, they send canned responses with no intention of making change. When payment processes it goes to Ireland. I have no problem working with those outside of the US for certain projects but I don’t like being lied to. Don’t waste your time with this sham of a company.

I’ve used Fiverr a few times and have found that 99% of the sellers are outside of the US, unqualified and only looking to make a buck.

I’ve spend $2,449 buying things here and 99% of my experiences have been positive, many of my favorite sellers are outside the US.

Besides, EVERYONE IS LOOKING TO MAKE A BUCK. That’s why we WORK. If you’re not making a buck, you’re not working.

I agree that lying about where they are is a problem but I don’t know how he got his account verified as being in the U.S. if he is indeed in Pakistan. They verify the country by phone number now.

I was curious to see what kind of services you got so I “stalked” your profile as you put it on google.

If he was so good, what made you press him to tell you where he really was located? Was he the one who used English as if it was not his native language? Is he the reason you are upset with fiverr?

I see you got service you were very happy with from him. Is he the reason for the post? Sometimes there is more to the entire story when someone makes a post like this, more than what we are being told.

Ok so I was lured in and contracted with a writer to re do my resume - sent me a price and it’s was double what I was willing to pay - but I’m doing audits and work is crazy but resume cover letter LinkedIn profile and I didn’t have to do it - especially since they’re profile sounded amazing - 9 years HR recruiting - professionally done. I’m interested - except for the constant im’in - place the odwer? You there - hello ? Hello ? Hello ? I didn’t think much about it because I did need it next day and promise yes - once I sent the money - proof ! Gone and it was “yes I got the file “ … silence !
Not once did I get a single request for info, tittle expectations format pwrferrf. NOTHING !i the follows day -‘Reaume due date - at 12 my time I’m IMing “ just wanted t follow up since I have not heard back? “ did you have any questions? Repo se was short and abrupt - “you”ll get your resume “Thursday”
Then about 5 minutes later - I’ll have it over to gig in a couple of hours. BACK TO NOTHING.
Aeound 6 I’ On my way home - stuck in traffics wondering if I got played for $150 this person took my money and I’m jacked.
An hour later I get “dink”
I race across the living room jump over a sleeping dog grab my phone - can open ? This is when he text me back - you have to up load - ok …
And then I see my resume - and it’s awful!
Horrible, hideous even comes to mind.
There was this huge dark blue chunk strip across the top with my name in white letters which I believe might have been 14 front ? It was so “wordy” that there wasn’t any breathing room on the page. Text wrong font smaller then normally used and again “very wordy” or this had come across my desk by a candidate - In would have passed on it simply because I didn’t want to have to read it. i reject it.
It’s ugly - reply cane right back - offered to make it less wordy “I can change template” Ok I sent an email giving him another reminder of what I was looking for “ wow factor - something that stands out visually- pops - eye catching less wordy - would have have all the key words - ATA scan system -
Ok.
2 minute later “dink” wow … it was even uglier then the first one ! The layout was tweaked - “ copy and paste? It lined up heavy on the right wirh smaller font on left bordered in white - ok what was with the blue and white ? It wasn’t done for the night I missed my deadline to turn it in to my supervisor - I told the writer I would point out a fez examples - because really starting “see what was being passed off as professional - was anything but missed spelled words , bad grammer. Incomplete sentences SOW than saint make senses or was “technically and Industry” wrong. I realized my HR was a fake.
I made a call that would set my blood to boil.
I was told by my supervisor - who I asked to proof the resume I just couldn’t.
It was the worst raume ages ever see. Littwrwly thwy room my resume, copied and pasted “key phrases is sent in a word dock and use those they had taken an experience -skill and used it excessively “like they figured added it in as may times as possible made it look professional AND THEY SENT ME A RESUME THAT WAS NOTHING BUT LIES EMBARRASSING EMBELLISHED ACHIWVEMENTS THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN - Financialky impossible

• it’s was also listed as being done during my empliyemwnt with my current employer- who I asked to look it over if - this was the last thing they were not going to be able to meet my requirements they lies about their skills and skills - and those words could have gotten me terminated for provide a falsie intentional statement for gain and Lying on my application. I work for a very prominent globally recognized “Aviation/ MRO/ Aerospace /defense/ military company (Goverment) I told the seller I wante to cancel the contract - it was very clear that they over stated their skills and experience nd knew nothing about my industry (which I was explained right off - I need someone who knows the industry it’s technical terms -“ I asked for a return of my find and I looking it over - they had used my old resume, copied and pasted my “SOW” in
    My own words and thought I wouldn’t motice- that I was extremely offended they believed I wouldn’t notice.
    That was the last time I received a text
    No apologies
    Non”give me another chance
    No. - I still owe you a LinkedIn profile.
    They took my money and ran !
    Like a thief in the night

… I do have one thing to say
“ In the world of ales and being a “ Sr account rep customers either make you or can break you some are unrealistic - but as a seller you can always say no. But you do good provide a good product and exceptional service - they will tell 50 people -
Youneobwhat was just down to me.
We will tell 500 people post it on every social media outlook known to women.
The final insult was getting a final email saying my order was complete - when the work per their offer was never done?
Shame on all of you for letting this happen.
The seller has not replied to any of my 6 request for resolution or services
They got my money
Why bother r

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bah, I see a lot of jealousy on this thread. Everyone is a crook, TRS’s are crooks, logo designers are crooks. Bunch of BS if you ask me. It’s just like when people hate the rich, hate Wall Street, hate the #1 realtor, hate Ms. Universe, hate top athletes, etc.

Now if I hire someone to create a gig image for me, it’s possible he might use stock photography. That’s not plagiarism, art directors use stock all the time. If a graphic designer needs a dragon, he rarely draws it from scratch but looks for dragon pictures, finds the right ones, and then uses that for inspiration.

Even if a logo designer uses a logo generator, he needs to have skills to fix that logo when his clients demand changes, and someone with no graphic design skills cannot do that.

The problem, specifically with logos, is that Shutterstock specifically prohibits the use of graphics obtained through a license from being used in logos, so having a gig delivered that breaks the Shutterstock TOS leaves the person who obtains & uses said logo vulnerable to legal culpability.

Archived