If you advertise it for $5 . . . you must sell it for $5!

ginnymenges

Reply to @michelltech: If you need a simple app, I have a WYSIWYG app program that will spit one out in about 10 minutes using templets. I am assuming some of the sellers on here are using that program and would actually be able to sell a simple Android or iPhone app for $5.

Where did I call Fiverr a bait and switch? I have accused certain gigs of being bait and switch. I thinks Fiverr would take those gigs down if the gigs were reported. I am not don’t. I’m trying to educate folks, not “get them in trouble”.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @michelltech:

To make sure we are on the same page as to the definition of “bait and switch”, I have collected the definition from Wikipedia:

Bait-and-switch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Wikipedia

First, customers are “baited” by merchants’ advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items (“switching”).

Reply to @fonthaunt:

That was not MY argument - that is US case law. I’m sorry to burst you bubble, but if someone advertised the website for that amount, under US law that person is required to provide it for that amount.

I’m trying to help sellers understand how to keep this from happening. I sell services the brick and mortar world. This has happened to me before and I had to sell something at a loss because I made a mistake in my ad. My hope here is, not that seller will think they have to give away their services for nothing, but that they will read the US law that I posted a link to and learn how to protect themselves by writing better ad copy.

I think a lot of folks are projecting their own frustrations onto me. I am trying to help sellers here - not hurt them!!!

Reply to @rakib19:

It is ok to ask for contact. That was not the point I was trying to make. I only addressed the “contact first” request because I understand that is how many sellers are trying to keep down misunderstanding. The problem is that a buyer is not required to make contact. It is better to prevent the misunderstanding in the first place by making sure your $5 base gig is something you can actually provide for $5. You also need to look closely at the offering and make sure there is no way anyone can expect more than what you are actually offering due to poor working.

Reply to @catwriter:

I know most people would not see buying from Amazon as the same as buying from Fiverr. That is why I used that example, to make people think. The reality, however, is that from a legal stand-point they really are the same. All three (I’m including your contractor example here) are required to follow basic Consumer Protection laws. In the eyes to the US law, if they advertise on the internet, they all have to follow the same rule. If you will take a look at the link I posted to the US FTC, you will see this.

Reply to @ginnymenges: Hun actually the Inet doesn’t apply to that, look it up, its very involved… Just a heads up…I’m done on the topic, I just wanted you to know that.

Best Regards,

MichellTech (Rob)

Best In The Business!

Come’on, Buy A Gig Already! You Know You Want Too…!

Reply to @fonthaunt:

I guess you probably think I am disgruntled because of the title of the post! LOL!! I’m in advertising! I know how to get attention. The title was mean to be provocative. I wanted my message to be read - which it was.

NO, I’m not angry or disgruntle. I see an issue that is causing problems between buyers and sellers that I thought I could help with. I wanted the create a discussion of the real issue - the fact that Fiverr, because it is a concept based on a $5 gig, forces certain wording in the titles. If sellers don’t understand how to work within that limitation to get their true $5 gig advertised correctly, problems arise.

And actually I came to realize this issue, not from my own experience, but from reading several threads on this forum. I really am a big fan of this website and have worked with many, many, many awesome sellers!

Reply to @ginnymenges: I can do a lot more in photoshop … .from editing a photo to building a label, logo… so I have one gig for graphic design that includes everything. So I should split that into what ? 20 gigs ? I do have that in the description “xx minutes for $5” so if you see someone that doesn’t have that why order ? or rant about it ? just cancel or don’t purchase…

does that explain it further ?

Reply to @ginnymenges:

ginnymenges said: When you order something from Amazon or BestBuy, do you contact them first to see if they really are selling the item they have listed for the price they have it listed?

There are two HUGE differences.

A) Amazon/Bestbuy have notification systems informing you of stock levels. If it's out of stock, the option to buy is removed.
B) On fiverr, sellers sell services -- not tangible goods. While a service doesn't have stock restrictions, HUMANS have a finite amount of time.

Reply to @catwriter: Eh No…But I am working on a script edit so it only uses it when its not present already on the page, limiting it to only being visible once on a page. When I have time I’ll do that…Until then, don’t let that little spinning graphic 56x56 hurt ya… 😉

Best Regards,

MichellTech (Rob)

Best In The Business!

Come’on, Buy A Gig Already! You Know You Want Too…!

Reply to @ginnymenges: So then my questions is, how do we know that they are not willing to write any script in PHP or covert any mockup to Bootstrap, etc. for $5? A lot of those descriptions don’t say anything about contacting first or limits on the size of project. Maybe they’re doing half or a full day’s work for $5. If I knew anything about programming and offered those kinds of gigs, I would put limits on mine, but I’m more miserly with my time than a lot of sellers.

Reply to @michelltech: It is more likely to hurt you, a least if the reason it’s on the forum is to find more buyers. I find your sig tough on the eyes and annoying, and your attitude about it is too. When I am looking to buy a gig and I spot yours, I do remember you. Then I move on to another seller. I’m not trying to hurt your feelings, just being blunt in return.

Using $5 as bait for $100 real price is good for the seller, but bad for overall Fiver user (buyer) experience, also bad for real $5 gigs.

Imagine a new user found a gig (title) s/he was looking for, read the description, then got dissapointed after knowing that the title is lying. After checking five other gigs and got five disappointments, s/he concludes that fiverr’s nothing but a domain name.

As long as the staff doesn’t care about user experience, these kind of bait titles will stay around, even multiplies.

Reply to @radugeorgescu:

Keywords here is “offered at a base starting price of $5” Each gig MUST have a $5 option.

Your comment gets right to the heart of my post. YES, One IS forced to do a task. That is one of the points that sellers must understand. When you advertise a service for a price, YOU MUST give it. You can’t pick and choose your customers in the US. We just had a landmark case where a baker did not want to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple’s wedding. He baker was sued and lost because when you offer a service for sale, you MUST do the task. Not understanding this is a part of the problem. Even Fiverr’s TOS states this:

Sellers must fulfill their orders, and may not cancel orders on a regular basis or without cause. Cancelling orders will affect sellers’ reputation and status.

Let me reiterate that again: SELLERS MUST FULFILL THEIR ORDERS. It doesn’t get much plainer than that. No you can’t technically make someone do something they don’t want to, but Fiverr makes it plain that breaking this basic rule has consequences.

And yes, Fiver is an e-store. Whether the item for sell is tangible (product) or intangible (service) is of no matter. Because commerce occurs via the internet, it is an e-store.

Reply to @fonthaunt:

Wrong again! His “signature” is good marketing, unlike the use of false statements in a headline. I am beside myself in disbelieve that you guys are giving him a tough time over a GOOD marketing technique while going on and on defending BAD marketing techniques. I am a buyer so I will tell you this. His marketing tells me he knows what he is doing so I can buy from him with confidence that he knows how to market my company as well. Duh!

Archived