If you advertise it for $5 . . . you must sell it for $5!

ginnymenges

Reply to @ginnymenges: My response had nothing to do with marketing technique. It is a good marketing technique when used in the right place. I doubt you have read all the past posts in the forums (including forum moderator additions) related to the proper use of signatures. I offered my opinion to michelltech who claims to be a blunt type of person. I am also a buyer and a seller. You have the right to disagree with my opinion and I can disagree with yours. I think you continue your rants (as I said before) about anything because you are angry. “Duh!” < (Really??) The “duh” makes your emotion more apparent and I’m sorry you feel this way. Feel better.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @ginnymenges: Gig titles also get attention and are used for marketing. However, michelltech is using false advertising in his title. It says “Best In The Business!” and I found someone better. Lawsuit!!

Ok, for anyone who doesn’t get it - I’m kidding and using sarcasm to make a point. I have no serious issue with michelltech’s claim even though I actually don’t think it is provable and looks a bit silly in a conversational forum alongside many competitors but that’s just my personal opinion. My point is that this thread began with a rant about misleading titles and has now gone to defense of other marketing techniques as a way to continue the freakout.

Reply to @fonthaunt:

Ok, so I come across angry. I’m not but if you see me that way then I will take note. You see I understand that I am the sender of the message and if people are getting the wrong message then I have something wrong in my message. I alone bare the responsibility of making sure my message is not misunderstood.

You come across that you hate buyers. 🙂

Reply to @ginnymenges: It has nothing to do with marketing prowess. It has everything to do with what is and is not allowed. About 2 years ago there was a big thread about whether or not signatures should be allowed.

At first it looked like “Discreet” signatures would be allowed which would consist of 1 or 2 lines of text, no images, and no animations.

By the end of the thread, one member pointed out that signatures are unnecessary since our name links to our profile anyway.

Kevinwil - a Fiverr staff member and forum admin - agreed with that and stated:

...I'm thinking, we don't need signatures.

Forum sheriffs like oldbittygrandma and madmoo agreed and that was that. Since then no one uses signatures and there have been warnings given out because of their use.

Can you imagine if thousands of people started using animated signatures on a forum like this?

Reply to @kjblynx:

I used duh for a reason. I am still in awe that someone would complain about a GOOD tactic while defending a BAD one. Duh really fits there. I’m still scratching my head on that one. Can you send me the link about the signature because I can’t find it. Not saying it’s not there, I just can’t find it.

My question for you @ginnymenges is, if you’re a professional who felt so aggrieved by someone cancelling a $20 project, why are you arguing with every single forum user who disagrees with you?

We all have various viewpoints depending on our feelings. The majority of people will disagree with you, as it seems a little harsh for you to name and shame the seller in a public forum.

Surely you have more productive ways to spend your time?

Edit: Sorry, this is related to the other forum thread. I can’t keep up! 🙂

I make comments while my FTP is running if you must know. Commenting on here does not take up enough bandwidth to cause the FTP issues. And I thought the point was to discuss things on here. When someone addresses me I re-address. Am I missing something? I see an issue and I’m addressing it. There are a lot more views of this discussion than the few folks that I’m having a “disagreement” with. If this discussion thread helps a seller write a better headline or helps him or her to understand that a base $5 gig is required, then I’m happy.

I keep supplying fact - over and over- I’m sure people are learning from our "argument’ which is what I want.

Ok I just looked at the Do’s and Don’t found here http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/71/fiverr-forum-do039s-don039ts#Item_1

And I looked at the TOS. I find nothing about signatures. I’m not saying that there was not a discussion about it. But I don’t find a rule about it anywhere. Someone please send me a link to this signature rule. I am, as you can guess, big on rules and I want to read it.

Reply to @ginnymenges: Ok, that’s a funny one. I’ve posted many supportive and helpful posts in the forum to buyers, I’ve been a buyer, and my own buyers seem to be really happy with my services from my reviews. Oh - and they pay me.

I don’t hate buyers; you; or really anyone I can think of. I hate seeing people’s words twisted and people being accused of fraud for trying to earn 3.92 (base) for what can amount to hours of work. But, if it makes you feel better to think I hate buyers, knock yourself out.

Reply to @ginnymenges: Signatures with self-promotion are different from a “sign off” like putting your name at the end of your post so I don’t believe the word signature is mentioned in the rules but most people understand following the ‘spirit of the rule’ which says “If you have a Gig service on Fiverr that you’d like to share, please post it in the My Fiverr Gigs category. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/71/fiverr-forum-do039s-don039ts#Item_1” Someone else might be able to add to that, I don’t claim to know all.

Also, since you are very into rules, using terms like “Duh!” could theoretically violate this: “Do keep all posts respectful, constructive and concise so that all visitors can enjoy and benefit from the discussions.”

Reply to @iwritecopy:

That is a comment in a discussion, not a rule. Where can I find the official “don’t use signatures” rule? I’m not saying it is not there, I just want to read the actual wording of the rule. The rule has to be published, not just part of a discussion thread to be official. (Like when a TOS changes and they email everyone to let them know. )

Reply to @ginnymenges: The Dos and Don’ts do say that the discussions like this one are not the place for personal promotion (“Please don’t use the discussions to promote your individual Gigs”). If we’re parsing words, I guess that’s not exactly the same thing as saying “Buy a gig already!” because it’s not promoting a single gig? (To be clear, I don’t have to problem with his or anyone else’s signature, I just don’t think they’re super useful, I’m just saying that we’re not supposed to use discussions outside of the My Gigs area to promote our services.)

And I actually didn’t get an email about the ToS changes that Fiverr recently made. Did everybody else, because I’d like to know what email list I have to subscribe to in order to get information like that so I’m not blindsided.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

I did see that on the Dos and Don’t but since the author specified “individual” gigs, I only assumed that was what was meant. And since I do see people promoting gigs, I knew why that was in there. I am one of those people that see trees not forest. I see the word individual and see it as a deliberate act of separating a gig from the provider (seller). Meaning of course that, at least the way I read it, that it is ok to promote the seller just not the gigs. Otherwise, in my mind at least, the author would have simply written “don’t use the form for promotional purposes”

Archived