A logo for 5$? Is this a joke?

petitchemin

Reply to @photoshop001: Your profile proves my point even more… “I will design any logo for $5” listed as a gig there, I couldn’t help but giggle for a second.

1. the image in your gig portfolio was so easily found on google, it literally took me 30 seconds.
  2. “I’m a professional graphic designer, 8 years of experience” - Follow up question, how old are you? bachelors degrees take 3 years to earn that means you have a bachelors (or maybe even a higher degree) + 8 years of experience? - that’s what a “professional” means to me !!.. I highly doubt you have any of those 2 things.
  3. Someone who’ a “professional designer” or a professional photoshopper even tho no such thing exists as a pro photoshopper, you wouldn’t waste your time on fiverr designing logos for 5 bucks after you mastered your profession…

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @m2webs

To be honest, I take some offense at your comments.

I am a professional designer of over 15 years. I went to college to study all manner of artistic concepts. I’m well versed in color theory. I’ve learned the elements of good design, and I’ve learned how to put them into practice. I’ve created artwork for major companies and organizations; I’ve sold my art (in the professional off-fiverr world) to clients all over the globe. I’ve been critiqued by other professionals, I’ve been mentored by skilled artists of who work in many different media. I’ve studied the styles of master artists (like Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet and others).

It is career elements like those, that, for well-established designers like myself, warrant higher prices for our work. We can most definitely charge more for our art than an inexperienced creative individual who googles how to do something similar on the web.

Why? Because professional artists like myself have years of experience and training. And portfolios to establish and prove what our skills and experience are worth on the open market.

Believe me, there’s a big difference between a random person who searches online for tips on how drawing something for the first time, and a professionally-trained artist that has spent years learning how to do it right. More experience equals higher value, and often, higher prices.

The key with good pricing, though, is to always find a happy medium between the value that our design work is worth, and what the clients will fairly pay for it.

As for highly-trained me working here on Fiverr – “for only $5”, there are many more reasons to offer my skills here on Fiverr than than most individuals seem to realize. In fact, more often than not, my clients usually pay for gig extras, so to say I am giving away my work for merely $5 is grossly untrue. Regardless of my prices, though, my clients will never get anything less than a professional artist experience when they work with me.

THAT is good business. And that is how you earn repeat business. Which is, afterall, the whole point of being successful in business.

Anyone can claim to be an artist. But only an experienced artist can actually prove their worth as one.

Another part of this equation is the education system. There are people that spent lots of money going to college to learn how to do all this. They believe their education justifies a $500 price tag. Then there are the folks that never went to college (or are still in high school) and study the same things because they love it. They study the same color theory, read the same books etc etc.* And they think that getting $5 for doing something they think is fun is pretty cool.

*I seen this first hand. I hung out at an art college with a friend of mine. Since I promised not to learn for free the teachers let me hang out in the classes. Their curriculum was going to web sites and following tutorials. So basically these teachers are handing out lists of links and answering any questions that come up. Education. smh

It’s a scam. I’ve ordered several logo gigs from out of US sellers and they all serve up the same bs scam. Starting with a shoddy copy & paste logo that when you submit to Google image search, find out to be unoriginal and usually copyrighted. (One of them actually used the logo that was used as the cover art for an Iron Maiden album. Haha!). The thing is, being out of the US (usually India), they have no repercussions as they are off the radar and can’t be sued for copyright infringment. Once you complain or try to give a negative review, they cancel your order. It is sad that this scam goes. I’m sure Fiverr knows about it, the question is: Why do they let it continue? I’ve attached an image of the sellers that scammed me. Four of many, I’m sure. http://forum.fiverr.com/uploads/FileUpload/ea/0ee2af35c98a978bacb56ff5955354.png

Reply to @phoenix7813:

Perhaps it comes down to the college, then. Accredited colleges are not going to be sending you online to follow tutorials. They are going to have art/design professors and visiting professionals who show you, with hands-on training, how to master the arts.

Personally, I was a skilled artist in high school as well, but there was a heck of a lot that I didn’t know until I earned my degree and gained real-world professional experience.

Again, as I said before, Anyone can claim to be an artist. Even those who aren’t trained, can draw. But only an experienced artist can actually prove their worth as one. 

Reply to @undead1:

Many claimed artists (often individuals from India, the middle east, etc) are here on Fiverr because they can make an income. They are here for the $5, and often do not have the talent they claim to bring to their gigs. That is why it is so important for buyers to make smart purchases here on Fiverr. Someone who is serious about their craft, and truly knows what they are doing, will take the time to make that clear and abundantly evident in their gigs.

Reply to @traffic9:

Again, this is not across the board. The real professional artists here on Fiverr are not hard to find. The poor quality “artists” usually feature poor grammer, gig descriptions that are hard to understand, and project claims that are not well communicated. A real artist – a real professional – offering their services here on Fiverr will do everything they can to be clear about what they offer in their gig, and they will present their gigs accordingly.

To claim that all artwork here on Fiverr is of poor quality, is truly an insult to those sellers who work hard to make this a professional source of employment.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest customrapsongs

An official logo for a company is something serious, so if someone thinks they can get one for $5USD, then they were looking to swindle someone their selves. For the most part I always thought the logo designs offered on Fiverr were suppose to be concepts or something to be used for a personal project. I would never think someone would try to make a billboard with a logo they received on Fiverr period. Certain professions and services charge rates that will never get to the point of $5 and logo designing is one of them. So hopefully everyone knows better.

It’s funny how everyone is talking about $5 logos, when I made some calculations - after the fiverr cut, bank transfer fees, and income tax (mine is 22%) the sum is barely 2.50…

Gladly dollar is strong at the moment, so that to EUR is about 2.30 per gig.

So, if all my income came from fiverr base gigs, I’d need to make 283 gigs just to be able to pay my rent…! I’m not sure if I’d even be able to manage 10 commissions from different people every day!

Time to start looking for apartments in Spain… or I’ve heard Thailand is quite nice to live in…

Please remember, $5 dollars can almost equal to $500 if you live in a country with low living costs… so it might not be “poor quality” and you do know there are top universities in Asia too?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don’t consider myself a professional designer, or even a designer, I came here to learn, so yeah, I charge $5 for a logo that takes me 15 minutes to make. I am a skilled photoshop and illustrator user, but I don’t actually illustrate or draw, I don’t use stock out of the box either. I’ve learned so much here, I’m doing something outside of my comfort zone. I’ve spent years making digital products for my blog and etsy and I wanted to learn how to make things for other people per their specifications, and that’s what I’m doing. I get nice tips sometimes, which is icing on the cake.

There is always going to be room for designers on fiverr, and “elite” designers so to speak. To be an elite designer charging $500 dollar or whatever you will need an extensive portfolio and work experience. I can’t say for sure but I can say with some conviction that there will always be massive companies paying thousands for logos. But you have to be the best to be hired by them, or work for the best. So where do designers go who aren’t recognised? Well fiverr and other freelance sites are a great start. I’m a bachelor student in Graphic Design & Digital Media. I live in UK (so $5 = £3 which is nothing) Yet I do still offer my services for $5. I’m building up my portfolio and my professional experience. I do spend a couple hours on each logo or album cover or whatever but I’m not just doing it for $5 I’m doing it for myself, for my portfolio. By the time I graduate I plan to start my own business with a few friends who also do creative skills. I do have a few years of professional experience but in that time I was doing it myself I struggled, me, a designer starting out, I didn’t have the same reach as I do on fiverr.

So yes, we are offering our services cheap but there’s so many opportunitys on here. In my 30 days here I have had $50 tips, $20 tips and a lot of $10 tips. I’ve made an ok amount of money with my extras and tips and I’m just starting out, I know it’s gonna get even better. I’ve already had 30 different customers, one for everyday. As an unknown student designer I would only get one a week.

Reply to @uhlizza: It’s not a joke, it’s business. If you can do a logo in 15 minutes for $5, you can make $16 in 60 minutes ($4x4). Then when you get a reputation, clients will pay you for color and other stuff, so you might make $32 an hour ($8x4) or more.

Of course, if it takes you 5-hours to make a logo, by all means, find some sucker to pay you $250, if you can. Hope you have a kill fee just in case they never accept your work, hope you don’t end up wasting 10-hours doing revisions or more.

Fiverr is no joke, it’s the real world that’s a joke. Clear Channel communications has a job for a bilingual copywriter in Miami, an expensive city. They expect him to write in English, Spanish, AND to record the radio commercials. In other words, they want three skills in one person. The wage? $30,000 a year. That’s a joke.

Fiverr is FREEDOM. Fiverr means you do what you want, on your terms.

• 8 months later...

I actually think that Fiverr plays an important role in the market, it is sort of the McDonald’s of the service world, while hiring a local professional is like dining out at a nice restaurant. In one case you want speed and something that is good enough, and in the other case you want something that is going to leave a lasting impression.

I use Fiverr for ideas that I want to rapidly prototype, and occasionally I’ll grab something from Fiverr to act as a placeholder in one of my projects while I wait for final art.

Guest de_mocca

The real jokes is when you send offers to buyers for 105 times with low prices, and no one comes to ordering your gigs.

• 11 months later...

Archived