Understanding Location Inconsistencies

Kesha

At Fiverr, we pride ourselves in championing the new era of working from anywhere, anytime. Recently, we’ve heard that there’s been some confusion about what triggers a flag for location inconsistencies, so here’s what you should know:

All users are required to have their accurate country displayed on their profile. This helps buyers make informed decisions and avoids complications such as language barriers and time zone differences. Misrepresenting your location for any reason is against our Terms of Service and any suspicious location patterns will be flagged. 

The following actions are not against our policies and will not trigger a location flag:

• Switching your working devices
  • Using a wifi source different than your usual one
  • Traveling and working from another city or country

To avoid a location flag, we advise informing Customer Success if and when you move to a different country. Keep in mind, they may ask for documentation and will update your profile accordingly. 

Keeping your location accurate is crucial, and failure to do so can result in a location flag. If you have any account-specific questions about location inconsistencies, please reach out to Customer Support for further assistance. 

• Like 45
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Support 1

1 hour ago, Kesha said:

At Fiverr, we pride ourselves in championing the new era of working from anywhere, anytime. Recently, we’ve heard that there’s been some confusion about what triggers a flag for location inconsistencies, so here’s what you should know:

All users are required to have their accurate country displayed on their profile. This helps buyers make informed decisions and avoids complications such as language barriers and time zone differences. Misrepresenting your location for any reason is against our Terms of Service and any suspicious location patterns will be flagged. 

The following actions are not against our policies and will not trigger a location flag:

To avoid a location flag, we advise informing Customer Success if and when you move to a different country. Keep in mind, they may ask for documentation and will update your profile accordingly. 

Keeping your location accurate is crucial, and failure to do so can result in a location flag. If you have any account-specific questions about location inconsistencies, please reach out to Customer Support for further assistance. 

Thank you very much @Kesha for this detailed guide

• Like 17
  • Up 3

2 hours ago, Kesha said:

Sorry to bother, Kesha, but I do want to confirm this...

If I go and travel to Paris and stay there for a week, maybe go to other cities in the same country, but in 1-2 weeks I get back, that's fine right? I traveled in the past as a seller and I didn't really have any problems. But with this new policy regarding location inconsistencies, I just wanted to make sure everything is ok. I can only assume it mostly has to do with the use of VPN and other tools to misrepresent your locations. I always assumed traveling shouldn't be a problem, and never had any issues myself.. So as long as I travel to a country, be it different cities in that country and get back in a week or two at most, I should be fine, right?

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 24
  • Up 4

What if I decide to take my gig on the road? Say I decide to become a digital nomad and bounce all over the world spending no more than a couple of weeks in each country. What then? Is there a way to flag my account as "on the move"?

• Like 21
  • Up 2

3 minutes ago, andywarburton said:

What if I decide to take my gig on the road? Say I decide to become a digital nomad and bounce all over the world spending no more than a couple of weeks in each country. What then? Is there a way to flag my account as "on the move"?

I think they don't want to see your location changing every minute or hour. That smells like you're using a VPN. Since Kesha said you should contact them if you move to a new country, I can only assume they check for long term changes, like months. Or very very short term things like being one minute in Dubai, the next in Germany within a span of a few seconds. Hopefully she replies to my question. But as far as I know, digital nomads shouldn't be affected, since it's not like they stay in a place for a very long time.

• Like 26
  • Up 1

5 hours ago, Kesha said:

Since many sellers are still confused about that so there you have it guys. Cleared my doubts as well.

I doubted using a wifi source different than the usual; if my usual wifi encounters any problems, I switch to the other often to stay connected.

• Like 20
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

but in 1-2 weeks I get back, that's fine right?

I don't think so there will be any problems but since they most likely be using the automated system, yes you should confirm this.

• Like 20
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, farhan_editz said:

I don't think so there will be any problems but since they most likely be using the automated system, yes you should confirm this.

Well traveling for a day or two is one thing. If you stay in another country for 1-3 weeks, that's different. 

• Like 16
  • Up 4

8 hours ago, Kesha said:

Thanks for the information

• Like 15
  • Up 1

8 hours ago, Kesha said:

Hi Kesha,

I am planning to travel to different countries while continuing my work on Fiverr as a digital nomad. This will often require me to use public WiFi networks. To maintain security, I am considering using a VPN.

Could you please clarify whether using a VPN is permitted on Fiverr while accessing the platform from public WiFi networks? Additionally, are there any specific guidelines or best practices I should follow to ensure my account remains secure and compliant with Fiverr's policies during my travels?

Thank you for your assistance.

• Like 18

On 7/23/2024 at 6:11 AM, sandy7452 said:

Hi Kesha,

I am planning to travel to different countries while continuing my work on Fiverr as a digital nomad. This will often require me to use public WiFi networks. To maintain security, I am considering using a VPN.

Could you please clarify whether using a VPN is permitted on Fiverr while accessing the platform from public WiFi networks? Additionally, are there any specific guidelines or best practices I should follow to ensure my account remains secure and compliant with Fiverr's policies during my travels?

It's best to share your travel itinerary with customer service and inform them of your plans. I'll be traveling at the end of the year myself, and that's what I'm gonna do as well to keep meself safe ;D 

Regarding VPNs: make sure you use either a private VPN (best option) or one from a reputable company like "express".

In case you're going for the latter, maybe even share with CS what exact VPN you're using as well. 

• Like 18

On 7/22/2024 at 2:18 PM, donnovan86 said:

Sorry to bother, Kesha, but I do want to confirm this...

If I go and travel to Paris and stay there for a week, maybe go to other cities in the same country, but in 1-2 weeks I get back, that's fine right? I traveled in the past as a seller and I didn't really have any problems. But with this new policy regarding location inconsistencies, I just wanted to make sure everything is ok. I can only assume it mostly has to do with the use of VPN and other tools to misrepresent your locations. I always assumed traveling shouldn't be a problem, and never had any issues myself.. So as long as I travel to a country, be it different cities in that country and get back in a week or two at most, I should be fine, right?

Hi Donnovan!

Thanks for this question. I've been working limited hours and I am just getting a chance to catch up on some messages so sorry for the delayed response. You are never bothering me though!

To answer your question: traveling to another city within the same country won't trigger any location inconsistencies. Traveling to another country is usually okay too, as long as there aren't any suspicious or unrealistic log-in patterns. 

• Like 24
  • Up 1

On 7/22/2024 at 4:31 PM, andywarburton said:

Hi Andy! Great question. If you are on the move traveling, this is usually OK. As long as there are no suspicious and unrealistic patterns in your location, your account should remain in good standing. 

Of course, if you'd like an extra layer of protection, it never hurts to give Customer Support the heads up on your nomad plans. 😊

• Like 21
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kesha said:

traveling to another city within the same country won't trigger any location inconsistencies

Hi @Kesha, Thank you for the clarification I was looking for. I have another query.

When I travel to different cities within the country and access my Fiverr account using mobile data (via SIM card), sometimes my IP address changes frequently and displays different cities when I switch the data connection on/off.

Will this cause any issues with the Fiverr account?

• Like 19

On 7/22/2024 at 11:31 PM, andywarburton said:

So based on what Kesha said regarding your question and mine, I see a pattern "suspicious and unrealistic patterns in your location". Pretty much, it seems that if you're not using VPN or someone doesn't use your account in another country at the same time you do, you should be fine. That also shows, or at least heavily suggests that those people who had issues with "location inconsistencies" might have been doing some shenanigans.

• Like 21
  • Up 1

17 hours ago, wordpresssp said:

When I travel to different cities within the country and access my Fiverr account using mobile data (via SIM card), sometimes my IP address changes frequently and displays different cities when I switch the data connection on/off.

I would also like to clarify this moment. 

For example, when I go to Thailand, I use my Turkish SIM or my Hong Kong travel SIM. 

In both cases, when I connect to Wi-Fi, I will use a local Thai IP, but as soon as I use my mobile phone, it will look like I am in Turkey or Hong Kong (since both operators use their local IP pools for roaming).  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, vovkaslovesnyy said:

For example, when I go to Thailand, I use my Turkish SIM or my Hong Kong travel SIM. 

In both cases, when I connect to Wi-Fi, I will use a local Thai IP, but as soon as I use my mobile phone, it will look like I am in Turkey or Hong Kong (since both operators use their local IP pools for roaming).  

Thank you!

Further clarification.

For example:  If there are cities A B C & D within the same country. 

I'm from city A and I use my sim internet it shows my location city B but when I turn OFF the sim internet connection and again turn it ON it shows my location C. 

So whenever turn off/on the internet connection, it changes the IP and city location. 

NOTE: No traveling SIM card, it's the same as we locally use here for calling within the country as well. 

• Like 16

On 7/22/2024 at 8:41 PM, sandy7452 said:

Hi Kesha,

Hi Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to make sure I could find the correct answer for you. Using a VPN is technically not against our guidelines as long as you're not using it to mislead other users about your location. If you decide to use a VPN while maintaining integrity about your location, we support your choice.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Kesha said:

Hi Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to make sure I could find the correct answer for you. Using a VPN is technically not against our guidelines as long as you're not using it to mislead other users about your location. If you decide to use a VPN while maintaining integrity about your location, we support your choice.

Hi Kesha,

Thank you so much for your reply and for clarifying the policy regarding VPN use on Fiverr.

• Like 13

On 7/27/2024 at 12:07 PM, wordpresssp said:

Thank you!

Further clarification.

For example:  If there are cities A B C & D within the same country. 

I'm from city A and I use my sim internet it shows my location city B but when I turn OFF the sim internet connection and again turn it ON it shows my location C. 

So whenever turn off/on the internet connection, it changes the IP and city location. 

NOTE: No traveling SIM card, it's the same as we locally use here for calling within the country as well. 

On 7/27/2024 at 9:08 AM, vovkaslovesnyy said:

On 7/26/2024 at 3:41 PM, wordpresssp said:

Hi @Kesha, Thank you for the clarification I was looking for. I have another query.

Will this cause any issues with the Fiverr account?

Hi guys! None of these scenarios should trigger a location inconsistency. In the off case it does, you can always explain the situation to Customer Service to support their review.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:05 PM, Kesha said:

@Kesha Can we use more than 3 different Wi-Fi networks within a 1 km area?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1