My Buyer asking for hiring me on monthly basis.

sazzad0071

Question

Hi Fiverr Community,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate your advice. My clients want to hire me on a fixed monthly salary, but I find that receiving weekly payments works better for me in terms of cash flow and financial planning.

What are the best practices for negotiating payment terms with clients? Is there a preferred approach that balances both the client's and my needs? Any tips on how to present this to clients without risking the relationship?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

• Like 7

10 answers to this question

Most workplaces pay on a monthly basis. Weekly payments don't make it easier to plan; they actually make it harder. That's why I always advise freelancers to have a rainy-day fund and enough cash on hand so they don't rely on weekly payments.

When it comes to negotiating payment terms, if a client offers a monthly retainer, take it. Don't jeopardize the deal by seeming desperate for money.

Having a stable income you can count on every month is incredibly valuable for a freelancer.

Monthly payments are better than weekly ones because if a client pays you weekly, they can stop payments at any time. You want to lock in the client on a commitment that lasts for as long as possible. 

If you must negotiate, suggest bi-weekly payments as a compromise.

Remember, most businesses are used to paying monthly, not weekly, and accommodating weekly payments requires extra effort on their part. So you're basically asking them to work more so you can get weekly payments, when that's not the norm. 

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Most workplaces pay on a monthly basis. Weekly payments don't make it easier to plan; they actually make it harder. That's why I always advise freelancers to have a rainy-day fund and enough cash on hand so they don't rely on weekly payments.

When it comes to negotiating payment terms, if a client offers a monthly retainer, take it. Don't jeopardize the deal by seeming desperate for money.

Having a stable income you can count on every month is incredibly valuable for a freelancer.

Monthly payments are better than weekly ones because if a client pays you weekly, they can stop payments at any time. You want to lock in the client on a commitment that lasts for as long as possible. 

Remember, most businesses are used to paying monthly, not weekly, and accommodating weekly payments requires extra effort on their part. So you're basically asking them to work more so you can get weekly payments, when that's not the norm. 

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. Highly appreciated.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, smashradio said:

This is true, but doesn't apply to Fiverr in any way, since we have no way to enforce anything.

I won't work for a month on an open order to get paid at the end (well, 7 days after the end, in the best case scenario). What if they decide to cancel? The risk is way too big.

Monthly retainers are awesome - outside the platform. I have clients paying me upfront for the month. That is great. But a client on here? Doesn't work.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@sazzad0071 Fiverr has become a marketplace where scammers are filled (on both sides), so neither weekly nor monthly would be a suitable option. And considering that you only have 2 reviews on your profile and are a new seller, I find it too good to be true. I am sensing it's a scam that the buyer will just exploit you for one month and get away with the work without paying you anything!

Involving customer support in this matter would be a good approach. Ask your buyer for a security deposit of one month --- basically create an empty order equal to that value and first let it be marked as completed, obviously, if customer support allows you to do that. If customer support is involved, you won't be flagged for a blank order/delivery, and the client won't be able to come back after a month and cancel that order (as it was part of your agreement as a security deposit and customer support was involved in that matter).

Again, all these things are only possible if customer support is involved and if they allow you to do so. If customer support doesn't permit going this way, then another best approach would be working on a 'per order' basis like the marketplace functions (until you and your buyer both gain trust in each other). Having two reviews in the basket and then going with this approach with a stranger is not a wise option at all.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

And considering that you only have 2 reviews on your profile and are a new seller, I find it too good to be true. I am sensing it's a scam that the buyer will just exploit you for one month and get away with the work without paying you anything!

Indeed. That is also what I thought already. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1

I would prefer a monthly payment over anything else, if they pay reasonable; period. However, 

1. What if they decide on 29th day that they don't need your work and cancel? 

2. What if they use the charge back option and you're left with nothing? 

3. What if Fiverr decides to cancel the order because there's something fishy? 

4. What if, Fiverr cancels your order at the end of the month before the order is closed and ban you? 

5. What if someone steals your account and withdraw your hard-earned money to their account leaving you with zero income? 

There are numerous 'what ifs'. Please try to get the order as much  shorter as possible in order to avoid losing a large sum of money and wasting a full month. 

However, if they pay you upfront, that's the best possible thing. If they don't but the monthly payment is at least 1.5 to 2x of your average monthly income on Fiverr, compel them to pay at least half upfront. 

Good luck. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, visualstudios said:

This is true, but doesn't apply to Fiverr in any way, since we have no way to enforce anything.

I won't work for a month on an open order to get paid at the end (well, 7 days after the end, in the best case scenario). What if they decide to cancel? The risk is way too big.

Monthly retainers are awesome - outside the platform. I have clients paying me upfront for the month. That is great. But a client on here? Doesn't work.

I'm not sure how long your projects typically run, but you're charging enough that one order costs as much as a month's salary for many folks. Considering that, I'd say you're taking on a significant risk daily. Maybe you finish projects faster than others, but I'd still thoroughly vet my clients before committing a month's worth of work—unless I got paid upfront. I'm also curious, how do  you deal with your own monthly gig, "I will provide monthly youtube video editing", if  you don't do it monthly? Milestones? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

I'm also curious, how do  you deal with your own monthly gig, "I will provide monthly youtube video editing", if  you don't do it monthly? Milestones? 

I almost never do. It's there to catch big fish, in practice I almost never sell it, because youtube contacts are notoriously garbage. I send people there with custom offers now and then.

As for risk, I never take a month on a project. Rarely more than a week.

• Like 7

On 5/15/2024 at 12:18 PM, sazzad0071 said:

Hi Fiverr Community,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate your advice. My clients want to hire me on a fixed monthly salary, but I find that receiving weekly payments works better for me in terms of cash flow and financial planning.

What are the best practices for negotiating payment terms with clients? Is there a preferred approach that balances both the client's and my needs? Any tips on how to present this to clients without risking the relationship?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

I will advice you to create a 30 days offer for the client to accept every month before you render your service, because there are some scams on the platform that are trying to navigate their way unto the platform.

• Like 6

On 5/10/2024 at 10:47 PM, donnovan86 said:

Well, you already have 18 skills, but only 3 gigs. Create gigs that harness those existing skills you have. The truth is that you can find demand in a lot of niches, but you have to be very good at it. Instead of learning new stuff, become the best within the niche you are already a part of 🙂

On 5/14/2024 at 1:54 AM, arafatcoco said:

According your Service research your 4th gig.

On 5/14/2024 at 12:18 PM, smartdezigns said:

Any gig in Paused/Denied/Drafts mode? If yes, then delete that gig and create the 4th gig.

If not, then contact Fiverr Support and discuss with them.

On 5/12/2024 at 10:44 PM, qubemotion said:

It's been more than a day (almost 2 days) and still fiverr support did not answer my ticket, at this point I feel like there are no supports or worse they don't care about sellers and their status.

I don't know if this is normal or not but it is not anything near acceptable, at least they should notify users that it may take longer than anticipated usual time, this is a matter about an order I have and is somehow urgent and still they did not even answered my question. I even replied to it and no answers yet.

15 hours ago, rawque_gulia said:

@sazzad0071 Fiverr has become a marketplace where scammers are filled (on both sides), so neither weekly nor monthly would be a suitable option. And considering that you only have 2 reviews on your profile and are a new seller, I find it too good to be true. I am sensing it's a scam that the buyer will just exploit you for one month and get away with the work without paying you anything!

Involving customer support in this matter would be a good approach. Ask your buyer for a security deposit of one month --- basically create an empty order equal to that value and first let it be marked as completed, obviously, if customer support allows you to do that. If customer support is involved, you won't be flagged for a blank order/delivery, and the client won't be able to come back after a month and cancel that order (as it was part of your agreement as a security deposit and customer support was involved in that matter).

Again, all these things are only possible if customer support is involved and if they allow you to do so. If customer support doesn't permit going this way, then another best approach would be working on a 'per order' basis like the marketplace functions (until you and your buyer both gain trust in each other). Having two reviews in the basket and then going with this approach with a stranger is not a wise option at all.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will follow it

• Like 5