How are "Revisions" defined?

cmswriter

Question

When a seller says they'll offer "revisions," I assumed this meant they would make changes if I wanted a final product "tweaked" or altered slightly to make it closer to what I'm looking for. Is that the idea? That if you're not entirely satisfied with the product and need something changed, you can request revision?

Or is it to ask the seller to change mistakes made and correct poor quality? So you are responsible for pointing out all the quality issues in an order and request revisions, otherwise you're stuck with a poor quality product? And what happens if a seller only allows 1 or 2 revisions, in this case, and they continuously provide something that's objectively poor quality?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 answers to this question

Essentially yes.

The definition of revisions and the number of them will vary from one seller to the next. It is up to you to select a seller that clearly explains how many revisions and the extent of revisions they include in the offer prior to ordering from them. If a seller does not have this clearly defined in their FAQ section, I would suggest asking them, or avoiding them and proceeding to someone who does.

Also, "quality" is subjective, so you cannot say, "This is poor quality, so I want a revision."  You need to be more specific, and yes, it would fall on you to tell the seller what you want changed. If you get a delivery and don't like it, then you fall back on your revisions until they are exhausted. Then if you want further revisions after that, your seller should charge you for each one. The cost of additional revisions should also be clearly defined if your seller is legit and professional. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, fastcopywriter said:

She can't give me a bad review unless I give her a review. All she can do is defame me with Fiverr, but not with my future buyers. 

Since Fiverr now allows reviews for orders that had deliveries (but were canceled), she could still leave a bad review. The only difference would be that her public review would be marked as a "canceled" order and you don't get paid for your work.

1 hour ago, fastcopywriter said:

"I don’t really like any of them. They’re not empowering or uplifting"

I've only had 1 buyer who gave me this type of feedback and I did cancel. The buyer was vague and didn't know what she wanted - she only said "I'll know it when I see it." After a week of back and forth with very little input on her part, I could see that I was wasting both her time and my own, so I had no problem giving her a refund. Since the buyer knew I was watching out for her best interest, she was grateful for the way that the order was handled.

image.png.9bc8a0f4ec63707865b056c53723f596.png

5 hours ago, cmswriter said:

When a seller says they'll offer "revisions," I assumed this meant they would make changes if I wanted a final product "tweaked" or altered slightly to make it closer to what I'm looking for. Is that the idea?

Normally, if there are just minor changes (not major changes) that need to be made, yes, a buyer can submit a revision request to get that done. As @newsmike says, each seller is responsible for letting their buyers know what changes are allowed in a revision request. For example, I am willing to rewrite a work experience on a resume, but I won't give a completely new design or optimize the resume for another industry.

5 hours ago, cmswriter said:

Or is it to ask the seller to change mistakes made and correct poor quality?

If a buyer were to find a mistake that I made, I'd make the changes for free and wouldn't count it as a revision. I think many sellers would do the same, but do check with your sellers first to make sure.

When it comes to "poor quality," do as @newsmike suggests and request a revision. Do this at least once. Be very clear about why you think it is poor quality and why it doesn't meet your expectations. You don't have to point out every single issue, just give a few examples. Sometimes deliveries perceived as "bad quality" are the result of miscommunication. This can usually be corrected with one or two revisions. Other times, the "bad deliveries" are clearly "poor in quality" and this can also be discovered within one revision. At that point, kindly tell the seller that they will not be able to meet your expectations, and submit a request to cancel the order.

• Like 3

This is my approach:

Instead of defining what revisions are, I simply specify that they can not request revisions on a step if it's already been approved by them. I send all buyers a list of guidelines (created by me) and only proceed with creating a custom offer once they give their confirmation.

image.png.10b4e3ff2f52d18b0b7d75c638c667df.png

And then, I provide clients with updates at every step and move forward only after receiving their approval. So, they can not exploit me by asking for revisions at the last step. If they do, I simply refer back to the screenshot of the guidelines they accepted before the custom offer and the approved work-in-progress updates from x days ago. And these two screenshots shut their mouth because they mostly prefer to accept the work rather than pay extra for additional revisions.

And for this, I'd like to credit @newsmike. Earlier, I had faced many exploitations by buyers and I had to face a total of 18 cancellations during my short journey on Fiverr. However, in the last three months, I have not had a single cancellation because I have learned how to stand my ground and protect myself from exploitation.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

Here's an example of the revision nightmare:

"I don’t really like any of them. They’re not empowering or uplifting"

What am I supposed to do with that? I explained my situation, she said this:

"Then don’t make the revision. I just won’t use any of them. Will hire someone else"

At that point I had to request a refund. 

I might have overreacted. She can't give me a bad review unless I give her a review. All she can do is defame me with Fiverr, but not with my future buyers. 

• Like 3