A (legit?) buyer asking for discounted price

emma_7134

Question

Greetings,

I've been on Fiverr for a little over a week and my Gigs have been doing alright. I haven't gotten any orders yet. Like most new sellers, I've received at least a hundred spam messages since I created my account.

Today, I received a message from a buyer who looks more legit than all the others I've already seen. However, he/she is asking me for a discounted price on one of my Gigs because "I study and in terms of Turkish lira dollar is very expensive nowadays". I'm inclined towards giving them the discount (the Turkish lira is not going well, according to Google) but I'm worried this will start a trend that will make all my future buyers expect a discount if this one writes a review mentioning it. What should I do?

Cheers!

• Like 14

6 answers to this question

It depends on how much of a discount, and if it’s worth it to your time and effort. As this could be a potential first order that could provide feedback and ratings to your profile. You can use it as a tester. First, figure out what the client is looking for, and then determine if you want to work out a discount for it or not. But first, make sure you understand what they need from you, so you can make the judgement for yourself (and for them as well). *Don’t forget, you can even work out custom orders, for half the price than it will be half of what gig offers, so to speak. 

• Like 9

Giving discounts because someone's currency isn't worth much is a deep hole that will be hard to crawl out of. This "buyer" will expect discounts on any future order they make with you.

I would imagine that you set your prices on your Gig(s) to suit your level of talent, experience and what you need to make in order to live. You set your prices, not the buyer. There are plenty of buyers here who troll the new accounts looking for hungry sellers who will be likely flogged to death with revisions, and continued "discounts" because they are "poor" or their currency is in the toilet.

GG

Edited by genuineguidance
  • Like 10
  • Up 2

On 9/25/2023 at 3:53 PM, emma_7134 said:

What should I do?

Please trust me when I tell you that buyers who ask for discounts are going to be the pickiest, most difficult to please, and prone to revision after revision buyers you can find. I believe most experienced sellers would tell you to politely decline. Occasionally, I'll toss a break to someone who buys from me every month regularly.  But this is not that.  

• Like 12
  • Up 2

On 9/26/2023 at 2:23 AM, emma_7134 said:

he/she is asking me for a discounted price on one of my Gigs

Here's what I personally do: I never give any discount if it is my first order with that buyer. However, if they have budget constraints, I assure them of providing a discount in future orders if they buy from me again. This way, it's more likely that, lured by the discount, they will come back and buy from me again because they have the discount pending, hehe! And if it's a genuine (and easy to work with) buyer then this thing will always work with them.

If the buyer says they only need the service one time and have no future orders for me (and still need big discounts), I just say goodbye to them!

• Like 9

It's tempting to give discounts, especially when business is slow or you're waiting for your first order, but I'm with @newsmike on this one. Many buyers who ask for discounts are often a massive pain in the a*se to work with. Entitled and hard to please. Your gigs are already cheap - what more do they want? If they can't afford you, they can go somewhere else. 

• Like 4