How to Craft a Killer Gig Description That Converts

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

I see a lot of you struggling to get your gigs noticed and your skills sold. I often chime in on those posts because I hate seeing good talent go to waste. This is especially true in the more technical categories, like programming. 

If your gig description reads like a software manual, you're doing it all wrong. So the idea here is to turn your gig from software manual to a benefit-packed conversion magnets. 

First off, ditch the jargon. Your buyers don't care. They care about what your skills can do for them, not the specs.

People buy solutions to their problems. They buy benefits, not features.

Make it about them, not you and the tools you use. Focus on what you can deliver.

For example, if you’re a web designer, don’t just say you’re an expert in HTML, Bootstrap and CSS. Yawn. Most buyers probably won't know what Bootstrap is.

Tell them how your skills will help their site load faster, look stunning on any device, and ultimately pull in more sales. Tell the buyer what they'll get out of it, not what you put into it.

And once you're done listing the benefits, make it emotional. People rarely make purchase descicions based on facts alone. We're far too emotional for that. 

How does your service make life easier for the buyer? Paint a picture of success and satisfaction.

Rather than stating you offer “SEO optimization,” explain how you’ll help them dominate their niche, attract floods of visitors, and outshine competitors.

Another mistake I see again and again, are sellers beating around the bush. "Please message me so we can discuss your order".

Don’t meander around you wanting an order. Tell them to order

At this point, the buyer should feel safe in their choice, understand the benefits of working with you, and all they need is to know what to do next: Order

“Order now to transform your website,” “Message me today to start seeing results,” etc.

Direct commands coupled with an immediate benefit to their bottom line. This is how you convert. Not by listing every programming language you know.

It's not about you. It's about them and what they'll get out of this. 

And remember: Every word should serve a purpose in your description. If it’s not selling, it’s not staying, so trim it, edit it and keep the best. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 49
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 12
  • Thanks 9

Well said. It's rather like a business's vision statement and/or mission statement. "This is what we do, and why we do it."

Also, Sellers: leave the emoji out of it. Unless your target market and buyer persona are the types to actually like 'em, don't. It's unprofessional. Especially since most are unicode, and different devices and browsers will display them differently. 

• Like 27
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, smashradio said:

For example, if you’re a web designer, don’t just say you’re an expert in HTML, Bootstrap and CSS. Yawn. Most buyers probably won't know what Bootstrap is.

Though there are probably some times where it will help, if the buyer wants it in a particular format/programming language and might search for that. Maybe they want a CSS or .GIF animation but not another type of animation.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Hey there! I've write my gig description following your pattern. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a look and let me know if there's anything I can improve. Your feedback means a lot to me.

As an experienced interior designer with six years of dedicated practice, I understand that you're not just looking for someone who knows their way around colors and furniture. You're seeking solutions to transform your living or working environment into a haven that reflects your personality and enhances your lifestyle.

Here's what you can expect from working with me:

Tailored Solutions: Collaborate closely with me to design spaces that reflect your unique vision, lifestyle, and preferences.

Functional Beauty: Experience stunning environments that are practical too, maximizing space and optimizing flow.

Expert Guidance: Navigate choices effortlessly with my guidance, making informed decisions that fit your taste and budget.

Stress-Free Experience: Enjoy a hassle-free journey as I handle all the details from concept to design, ensuring your dream space comes to life.

By choosing my gig, you're not just investing in interior design; you're investing in a transformative experience that will elevate your space and enhance your everyday life.

Ready to turn your dream space into a reality? Order now and let's embark on this exciting journey together! 

• Like 19
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Though there are probably some times where it will help, if the buyer wants it in a particular format/programming language and might search for that. Maybe they want a CSS or .GIF animation but not another type of animation.

Nothing wrong with mentioning the technology you use - but that shouldn't be your main smelling point. (auto correct - I meant selling point, but I kept it for laughs).

8 minutes ago, sheeraz5775 said:

Hey there! I've write my gig description following your pattern. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a look and let me know if there's anything I can improve. Your feedback means a lot to me.

As an experienced interior designer with six years of dedicated practice, I understand that you're not just looking for someone who knows their way around colors and furniture. You're seeking solutions to transform your living or working environment into a haven that reflects your personality and enhances your lifestyle.

Here's what you can expect from working with me:

Tailored Solutions: Collaborate closely with me to design spaces that reflect your unique vision, lifestyle, and preferences.

Functional Beauty: Experience stunning environments that are practical too, maximizing space and optimizing flow.

Expert Guidance: Navigate choices effortlessly with my guidance, making informed decisions that fit your taste and budget.

Stress-Free Experience: Enjoy a hassle-free journey as I handle all the details from concept to design, ensuring your dream space comes to life.

By choosing my gig, you're not just investing in interior design; you're investing in a transformative experience that will elevate your space and enhance your everyday life.

Ready to turn your dream space into a reality? Order now and let's embark on this exciting journey together! 

It's not bad but it feels a bit "AI" in places. How would you write it if you did it all without any AI? GPT tends to make you sound a bit too corporate (to put it mildly!). I feel like interior design could do with some more personality and less corporate fluff. 👌

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 14
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 2

• Kesha featured this topic
On 5/13/2024 at 3:14 AM, smashradio said:

Tell them how your skills will help their site load faster, look stunning on any device, and ultimately pull in more sales. Tell the buyer what they'll get out of it, not what you put into it.

And once you're done listing the benefits, make it emotional. People rarely make purchase descicions based on facts alone. We're far too emotional for that. 

How does your service make life easier for the buyer? Paint a picture of success and satisfaction.

Rather than stating you offer “SEO optimization,” explain how you’ll help them dominate their niche, attract floods of visitors, and outshine competitors

That's the part where many gig descriptions fail. Thank you so much for sharing valuable information and insights. 

• Like 11
  • Up 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mark_fiedeldey said:

As always @smashradio, your advice is awesome.  I just read your post and thought to myself, "his c**p description is what I have as my description".  Well done, and thank you.  I have some rewriting to do.

Always happy to help! I think this isn’t just a mistake made by Fiverr sellers, but by many companies too. It’s what happens when you’re a nerd, no matter what you’re nerding out about. If you’re really into trucks and truck parts, you’re probably going to talk too much about how the parts work when selling. Same thing here. It’s an easy mistake to make, and I’ve made it myself in the past.

42 minutes ago, balticoakmedia said:

Thank you for being so kind and generous with your time and experience and sharing the top tips. 

Going to review my descriptions later this week! 

Thanks! I hope it helps you craft even better descriptions going forward. With that said, I think your gig descriptions are already five-star! They identifiy pain points and have clear value propositions. If anything is missing, it's a clear CTA at the end. But I'm nitpicking. You clearly know what you're doing. 🙂

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 5/13/2024 at 4:14 AM, smashradio said:

Hey everyone,

I see a lot of you struggling to get your gigs noticed and your skills sold. I often chime in on those posts because I hate seeing good talent go to waste. This is especially true in the more technical categories, like programming. 

If your gig description reads like a software manual, you're doing it all wrong. So the idea here is to turn your gig from software manual to a benefit-packed conversion magnets. 

First off, ditch the jargon. Your buyers don't care. They care about what your skills can do for them, not the specs.

People buy solutions to their problems. They buy benefits, not features.

Make it about them, not you and the tools you use. Focus on what you can deliver.

Rather than stating you offer “SEO optimization,” explain how you’ll help them dominate their niche, attract floods of visitors, and outshine competitors.

Another mistake I see again and again, are sellers beating around the bush. "Please message me so we can discuss your order".

Don’t meander around you wanting an order. Tell them to order

At this point, the buyer should feel safe in their choice, understand the benefits of working with you, and all they need is to know what to do next: Order

“Order now to transform your website,” “Message me today to start seeing results,” etc.

Direct commands coupled with an immediate benefit to their bottom line. This is how you convert. Not by listing every programming language you know.

It's not about you. It's about them and what they'll get out of this. 

And remember: Every word should serve a purpose in your description. If it’s not selling, it’s not staying, so trim it, edit it and keep the best. 

Sure you give a glimpse of struggling situation of a seller.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, seo_sharminrt said:

Hi smashradio

I read your post. I'll try to use every useful words of you in my freelancing career . I have a question. Can I change my published gig image?

Yes, definitely. You can change your Gig image as well as all the other details. It is important to be cautious about making changes to your gig as they can have both positive and negative impacts on your ranking. It is recommended to wait at least 1 week (7 days) after making any changes to your gig. Additionally, avoid using images for your gig that have been copied from other sellers.

Thank you.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, puspojit_biswas said:

Yes, definitely. You can change your Gig image as well as all the other details. It is important to be cautious about making changes to your gig as they can have both positive and negative impacts on your ranking. It is recommended to wait at least 1 week (7 days) after making any changes to your gig. Additionally, avoid using images for your gig that have been copied from other sellers.

Thank you.

Thanks 

• Like 6