Are there any fake buyers on Fiverr?

sjt044

Question

17 answers to this question

Yes! Loads of em ! One kind you can easily recognise is by their common style of approach. They usually want to take you out of Fiverr so that easily scam you there. Because with the awesome protection of Fiverr, they can’t do scam here. So they offer you lucrative projects and ask you to contact them elsewhere. 

• Like 14

What do you mean by "fake buyers"? People making accounts never intending to buy anything, but just straight up scamming people (asking for telegram, sending viruses, etc.)? Yes, there are quite a few. But those are usually easy to spot, therefore not a problem. 

If by "fake buyers" you mean people who actually place orders, but are dishonest, manipulative, try to cancel afterwards, promise tips / future work / reviews and don't come through, demand revision after revision for free even if you do not offer them, etc.? Those are a ton, at least as many as the "fake sellers", specially towards the lower end of pricing. 

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 21

yes there are. They will text you and offer you a work, but will tell you to pay an upfront fee for the work. Fiverr does a great job at filtering those messages out and label them as spam, but its not 100% accurate. 
I personally suffered from this, Fiverr gets mad at you if you cant convert your messages into customers. I think it is a potential ranking factor for your gig. Fake buyers will never place an order, and Fiverr will think its your fault that you were unable to convert. It is kinda infuriating if you ask me. 

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, evan_iae said:

yes there are. They will text you and offer you a work, but will tell you to pay an upfront fee for the work. Fiverr does a great job at filtering those messages out and label them as spam, but its not 100% accurate. 
I personally suffered from this, Fiverr gets mad at you if you cant convert your messages into customers. I think it is a potential ranking factor for your gig. Fake buyers will never place an order, and Fiverr will think its your fault that you were unable to convert. It is kinda infuriating if you ask me. 

Have you considered some analysis as to why quality buyers are avoiding you and scammers are pinging you?  Quality of services?  Are you making the mistake of selling at 5-$10? 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, newsmike said:

Have you considered some analysis as to why quality buyers are avoiding you and scammers are pinging you?  Quality of services?  Are you making the mistake of selling at 5-$10? 

I was man. I got into the classic mistake of offering the service at the lowest price possible. At that time it felt like woah 5 dollars for a social media graphics, it's cool for me. Didn't realize that cheap prices means cheap buyers. The scammers were easy to detect, but those real low budget buyers, they were pure nightmare.

Left fiverr for a year and so, improved my skills so i can actually feel confident about charging more and made a fresh gig just today. Wish me luck. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, sjt044 said:

how can I find them

If you are a professional for your service then you may easily find out the fake Buyer. Or,
If you are new then remember some basic points,
1. They always want to contact/ communicate outside of Fiverr.

2. Sometimes they contact you on a monthly or weekly basis after the time period they will vanish/block you. If you don't sign an agreement then you can not claim against the buyer.

3. Maximum time their account has been opened recently and has no working history.

• Like 9