New & need help

ajoyfulgrace

Hi, I’m brand new to Fiverr and I just received my first notification from a potential client. I’m an empathetic listener so I figured I might be in for a few creepy messages but not my first one. The guy left a message somewhat explicit but within this “story” that of course would pull on the heart strings of any empath. I obviously don’t want to take the client and I’m afraid to get bad marks right off the bat. What should I do? How does one handle this professionally and kindly (cause I don’t want to ignore him and leave him hanging but also kind of don’t want to engage). Please help!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

Hi, I’m brand new to Fiverr and I just received my first notification from a potential client. I’m an empathetic listener so I figured I might be in for a few creepy messages but not my first one. The guy left a message somewhat explicit but within this “story” that of course would pull on the heart strings of any empath. I obviously don’t want to take the client and I’m afraid to get bad marks right off the bat. What should I do? How does one handle this professionally and kindly (cause I don’t want to ignore him and leave him hanging but also kind of don’t want to engage). Please help!

Trust your spidey senses, @ajoyfulgrace! If you don't want to take the client, don't. Just mark the buyer's last message as "spam," which will block the buyer from messaging you and placing an order. You won't get a "bad mark" for doing so.  You only get bad marks for orders that you agree to, that result in bad experiences for the buyer.

If you want to politely decline, before you block the buyer, then feel free to do so. It is okay to tell someone when you don't think you match well with your buyer (and it's better to tell them now, instead of having to cancel an order because of it). Just know that there are some buyers that won't take "no" for an answer and will take up too much of your time and emotional resources. Make the separation quick and painless by marking them as spam. The "spam" button is the only way to "block" a buyer if they haven't placed an order with you yet.

It's unprofessional to draw out a conversation because it misleads buyers into thinking that you are interested when you are not. You also have no obligation to listen to them for a prolonged period of time, because you sell your time as an empathetic listener, not as a free friend.

• Like 11
  • Up 3

Ok, so it's now happened two more times. I have continued to block the people sending these inappropriate "inquiries".  I have also received a notification from someone pitching their service to me (in a completely unrelated field) and another asking me to interview for a job completely not in my area. Is this standard? I have not received any actual gig inquiries or interest in what I'm here to do. My sister even suggested perhaps "Empathetic listening" is a front for a different kind of interaction here on Fiverr. My pictures do not reflect the kind of interactions I'm getting. They are not "suggestive" in any manner.  I'm really bummed because I thought I found a place where I could actually help people. Would you suggest I just wait it out and keep learning more, or is this type of interaction the norm? Your suggestions, thoughts, and wisdom are much appreciated.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

Good heavens- I'm not even kidding I pressed send on that last message and already had a notification for another sexually related inquiry.  You can't make this stuff up. I want to cry. 

What of instead of empathetic listener, you tried a title that sound a bit more clinical?

• Like 3
  • Up 3

10 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

I have also received a notification from someone pitching their service to me (in a completely unrelated field)

Spam is common on Fiverr.

10 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

and another asking me to interview for a job completely not in my area. Is this standard?

Spam, scam attempts... Unfortunately, it's fairly common, especially while you're still new, so they think you might be desperate for orders (or if you're really successful; then you get a bunch of desperate ones begging you to give them work).

16 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

My sister even suggested perhaps "Empathetic listening" is a front for a different kind of interaction here on Fiverr

Fiverr doesn't allow s****l interaction of any kind. And while "Empathetic listening" might attract a few creeps (hey, they can talk about anything, no judgment, yay!), even totally unrelated gigs can attract people you definitely don't want in your inbox; there's a pretty blonde (her picture isn't provocative) offering psychic services who got a bunch of requests for feet pictures. And no, it's not because she used to work as a foot model.

21 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

I have not received any actual gig inquiries or interest in what I'm here to do.

The times are difficult, and many sellers are experiencing a huge slump in orders (or are not getting orders at all). When people struggle to get money for food, they might decide not to spend on anything that isn't food and bills.

Here's an idea, but please feel free to ignore it if it's not aligned with what you want to do: perhaps you could be more specific in your gig description about the topics? What you will listen about, and what's not acceptable?

• Like 6
  • Up 1

I love both of these suggestions. Thank you.

Newsmike- did any title come to mind for you that would sound more clinical? 

Catwriter- What a bummer about the spam. I must be a little naive going into this thinking that's not possible. I like the idea of adding something on my page. Do you know if Fiverr might have a template for writing those kinds of specific descriptions?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

Do you know if Fiverr might have a template for writing those kinds of specific descriptions?

As far as I know, it doesn't.

Just now, ajoyfulgrace said:

with the assistance of chat gpt I was able to create what I think is a compassionate and clear boundary.

Just in case, if you have simply copied chatgpt text, you need to disclose it within the description. I know that there are sellers who ignore that rule, but it's still a rule. (If you have just used chatgpt for inspiration and have changed it sufficiently, I guess no disclosure is necessary)

It sounds a bit strict, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. Perhaps add "for both our sakes" at the end of the last sentence, to soften it up a bit and make the potential buyers feel that it's not just you being strictly professional, it's for their sake, too?

32 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

What a bummer about the spam.

It is, but at least you know you're not alone in it, and that it's not your fault.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, ajoyfulgrace said:

I love both of these suggestions. Thank you.

Newsmike- did any title come to mind for you that would sound more clinical? 

Catwriter- What a bummer about the spam. I must be a little naive going into this thinking that's not possible. I like the idea of adding something on my page. Do you know if Fiverr might have a template for writing those kinds of specific descriptions?

If you want to turn all guys off instantly, Accountability Coach is the way to go. Love that suggestion, @vickieito, it doesn't become any drier (which in this case is a good thing!) 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, catwriter said:

there's a pretty blonde (her picture isn't provocative) offering psychic services who got a bunch of requests for feet pictures.

But a a "psychic" one would suspect that she should have seen that coming.  Just sayin. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5