What's the best thing about winter?

katakatica

43 minutes ago, words_to_wow said:

We arrived in June and were so confused at how it didn't get dark. Telling the kids it was bed time was a struggle. Then we were shocked because once it started snowing in October, it didn't melt until like late March, early April.

Yes, there are really only two seasons in Alaska - winter and summer (which isn't really summer weather because it's still chilly). However, since the sun's out all the time, it's summer. 😊 Summer vacations were really nice because the days were twice as long (as kids we were always sneaking out at midnight to play since it was so bright outside)!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, vickieito said:

the Aurora Borealis, which was like ribbons of green and white dancing across the dark sky.

We get the Aurora often in Montana, and the colors we see vary, including blues, greens, and even pinks. When my sister-in-law visited from Texas one summer, she was amazed because she had never seen them. 

As for winter, when I was young, I enjoyed it. Now I like spring and fall the best.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

We get the Aurora often in Montana, and the colors we see vary, including blues, greens, and even pinks.

Montana is gorgeous! I really need to visit there. It sounds like you get to see the Aurora Borealis year-round since it gets dark in the summer. And you see all colors, even pinks. How lucky!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, critzalide said:

Hi, it's soo nice reading about your hometowns! So far from mine!

I live in Italy (Sardinia). Real winter, here, has just showed up! What I love most about this season are soups 😍 

Cristina

Last time I was there it was end of September and I could go bathing in the sea still! Sardegna is so beautiful, I bet it's really nice over the winter. 

We only proper snow twice so far this year but the second time I was at an outdoor spa - it was magical! I low-key hope next month when I go to Oslo there'll be some snow again because we're going on a ship! 

• Like 6