What's the best thing about winter?

katakatica

Yes, it's me again - asking about random things. I WILL be making an effort to do it a bit more, too, as the Holiday season arrives, but I'm starting with something simple.

So... what's the best thing about winter? Do you like the cold? Or the cozy clothes? Is it maybe hot chocolate or mulled wine? 

Personally, what I love the most these days is just how... peaceful it is in a way? Despite living in a relatively big city, even the weekends feel just a bit less crowded. I know it will change as the time comes to buy presents and stuff, but it's nice.

We also had our first snow a while back and though it's all gone now, it was magical!

I'll share a fun story though because I think a few of us will crack a smile at it:

I'm famous for not having winter clothes (last year I often went out in my regular stockings!) This year, I decided to do better because I'm already sick quite often, but I could NOT find boots that I liked. 

The day of the snowfall, I left the house in sneakers (skies were still clear). I went into the shop, FINALLY found a pair of really pretty boots. Put them on after buying them, only to walk out into SNOW. 

I was VERY thankful for buying the boots there and then!

(if you have any silly anecdotes about the season, don't hesitate to share them!)

• Like 27

Just now, katakatica said:

Do you like the cold?

I enjoy summer, don't get me wrong, it all looks great outside and it's a pleasure to go on a hike, etc. But I prefer winter myself, I am born on Christmas Eve, so I am a little biased I guess. However I have a much better cold resistance when compared to most people I know, so it's more natural to me. Summer to me is just intense sweating, constant headaches due to sun exposure and so on. No snowfall yet in my area, but hopefully there will be soon.

• Like 21

Hot chocolate, check. Hot mulled wine, check check!
Hot pot, sukiyaki, lasagna right out of the oven, check check check!!
Jumping into bed after taking a hot bath ( with a cat sleep under my armpit) check check check check!
Winter is also oyster season, I'll be going to an oyster bar with my buddies.
For New Years I think I'll have a takoyaki party.
It's all about the fooooooooooooooooooooooood. And snuggling with cats.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Nothing good about Winters.

It always brings back my Cough Allergy (Dr. said it's Asthma not cough allergy 🤷‍♀️) no matter how much I take care of myself to prevent it. It's been 7 years now and still I am facing this (currently having it too ☹️ ). So I think Summer season seems good to me as compared to Winters. 

Secondly, in Winters, we cannot travel to Northern Areas for vacations because of land-sliding and heavy snowfall. So Summers for me! ✌️

Only 2 Pros of Winters: 1. Warm Cup of Coffee 2. Can wear Jeans easily with half boots 🤦‍♀️

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

Hot pot, sukiyaki, lasagna right out of the oven, check check check!!

I'm making katsudon for the first time tonight and I can't wait for the steam hot food to be done! Hotpot I miss so I might try and make it next week (the one I've been to so far isn't my favourite! 
I looove curling up in bed with a game (bedroom TV and switch have their pros) or movie.

• Like 16

Autumn is my favorite month, but winter is quite fine, too. I can't stand hot weather! I think I would like winter less if I didn't have someone to take care of all the shoveling and ice removal for me. Also, working at home relieves most of the stress of having to head out on the roads.

Wearing cozy clothes, soft blankets, and hot coffee feel better when it's chilly outside. I like the cuddly, homey feeling. My one holiday break for the year is nice, too!

• Like 13

On 11/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, donnovan86 said:

I enjoy summer, don't get me wrong, it all looks great outside and it's a pleasure to go on a hike, etc. But I prefer winter myself, I am born on Christmas Eve, so I am a little biased I guess. However I have a much better cold resistance when compared to most people I know, so it's more natural to me. Summer to me is just intense sweating, constant headaches due to sun exposure and so on. No snowfall yet in my area, but hopefully there will be soon.

I have never agreed more about something that anyone said. Except birthday, i was born in june.

It is a wonderful world when you can share your ghoulish features with someone else. I think i will propose to you @donnovan86

Kudos!

• Like 9
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

Hm, well, the worst thing is easy, waiting for trains that are a l w a y s late or even so late that the next late one comes first, while it's freezing cold. Oh, wait, from this year on, it's probably the electricity and gas bills. The best things are many... meeting friends and family for Christmas, Christmas markets, medieval Christmas markets, hot drinks, sofas and blankets after walks through the cold, reading on the sofa under blankets, watching movies on the sofa under sofa under blankets, Jackets and Coats with actual pockets, the realization that the day isn't over, after all, it's just dark so early, snow, as long as it's still pretty, the sound of walking over snow, more night sky, stars and moon sightings, having a more or less reasonably warm place to return to, candles, fairy lights, winter and Christmas music, concerts in churches, and did I mention hot drinks...

• Like 11

14 hours ago, miiila said:

Christmas markets,

I've seen photos of the Christmas markets, they look breathtakingly insanely out-of-this-world beautiful.
I need to go there someday. I bet it's WAY colder than Tokyo though, I'll need to make sure my hot wine glass is always full!!! 

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I grew up in bush Alaska, so whenever I think of winter, I think of Alaskan winters with lots of snow, no sun, and the Aurora Borealis, which was like ribbons of green and white dancing across the dark sky. I loved the sound of the snow crunching under my feet and seeing miles and miles of glistening snow across the silent tundra. It was so quiet and peaceful.

I miss all of that now that I live in Hawaii (but I do enjoy the warmer weather and beaches here)!

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I'm guessing you've seen this a lot?

I lived there for 10 years, so I did get to see a lot of the green and white ones. It was very rare to see other colors, such as pink, purple, and red.

6 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Huhuhu, I really would want to catch one in person!!!! 🥲🥲🥲

Sounds like you are ready to take a trip up north (and during the coldest time of the year)! 🥰

I've only lived there, so I had to look up how likely it is for aa visitor is to see the northern lights. Here are some stats for Fairbanks (this is on the road system so you don't have to fly out to the bush area):

image.png.f93dddafcab052d3912f88d1fd81eafb.png

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, vickieito said:

I lived there for 10 years, so I did get to see a lot of the green and white ones. It was very rare to see other colors, such as pink, purple, and red.

That is soooo nice!!! You've had the privilege of living through a lot of different temperatures and seasons. 🥶🥵

8 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Sounds like you are ready to take a trip up north (and during the coldest time of the year)! 🥰

I've only lived there, so I had to look up how likely it is for aa visitor is to see the northern lights. Here are some stats for Fairbanks (this is on the road system so you don't have to fly out to the bush area):

I've definitely been meaning to for a while now! Thank you so much and I hope luck will be by my side or at least in my first few attempts. 🤣

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I've definitely been meaning to for a while now! Thank you so much and I hope luck will be by my side or at least in my first few attempts. 🤣

Good luck, @theratypist! I've been trying to get my husband (city boy from Tokyo) to go to bush Alaska with no success. I even showed him where I lived but he was turned away because the only labeled attraction was "tundra." 😂

I hope you like the outdoors! My dad owns 114-acres of raw Alaska land and wanted to build a geodesic dome (but the permafrost made the build too expensive). It's now the best berry-picking land and all the Yup'ik grandmas like to pick the blueberries and salmonberries in the summer months. There's also fireweed that makes good jelly and great fishing. You might have to stay the whole year to see everything though!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, vickieito said:

I grew up in bush Alaska, so whenever I think of winter, I think of Alaskan winters with lots of snow, no sun, and the Aurora Borealis,

I was stationed in Alaska for four years. It was one of my favorite duty stations. We drove from Virginia to Fairbanks. We arrived in June and were so confused at how it didn't get dark. Telling the kids it was bed time was a struggle. Then we were shocked because once it started snowing in October, it didn't melt until like late March, early April.

And yes, the Northern Lights! I miss Alaska, too, and the PFD. Lol.

• Like 7