Best Practice for Protecting Yourself with a Large Order

poshlulla

I've been asked to provide a quote for an extra large project. It would be an estimated 3 months and a value of $5000 or higher. It would be set up as a milestone project, 2-3 milestones per month, with set deliverables at each point.

The buyer, depending on what screen I'm looking at, shows as Fiverr Select or Fiverr Business. 

Since a portion of this order will require outsourcing and the quote includes me obtaining that service, what is the best practice to protect myself as a freelancer?

The risk of order cancellation or chargeback exists for all orders here on Fiverr but the risks seem magnified with such a large dollar value. 

The potential buyer did say he was collecting quotes so I don't know how likely it is I'll actually get the project - but I'm also wondering if I should just pass because of the risk. 

I know some of the very regular forum members do orders with a larger dollar value - how do you protect yourself against the risk of cancellation or charge back?

Thanks muchly in advance!

• Like 10

Chargebacks are normally reimbursed by Fiverr, although I'm not sure what the criteria are or if they do it for every order.

I was once reimbursed a total of $1300 for 2 order cancellations in a row.

In my opinion, using milestones are the best way to protect yourself from any wrongdoing or chargebacks. Since the milestones must be approved and completed by the buyer, even if they charge back, I am pretty sure that Fiverr will reimburse you.

Edited by rahulkajla1
  • Like 7

Fiverr reimburses you at their discretion, and it says the funds are held for 45 days only if it's related to fraud. It says service related chargebacks are not covered. 

Since the amount of seller protection is such a low bar, and I would still have paid the person I outsourced, I'm concerned. Each milestone has a rough value of $500.

And actually now that I'm typing this, I'm inclined to pass on the order. If something in my brain is saying you should be worried, I need to pay attention that. Somewhere something has set off a red flag, even if I don't recognize it.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, poshlulla said:

Since a portion of this order will require outsourcing and the quote includes me obtaining that service, what is the best practice to protect myself as a freelancer?

Don't assume the responsibilities for the outsourcing fees. Have your buyer place those orders with instructions to have deliveries provided to you as well as the buyer. This way, even if you get stuck for a chargeback, you are not on the hook to other sellers. 

• Like 9
  • Up 3

I think that's what setting off flags in my brain. IRL, I do this for clients but it's a different type of relationship than what's possible on Fiverr. I think given the type, size and scale of this order, Fiverr's just not the right place and I'm going to pass. I'm sure there are other sellers who will take it. This type of fully managed service just doesn't work well here.

Edited by poshlulla
  • Like 8