What languages do you know?

brillzart

On 6/11/2022 at 3:09 AM, emmaki said:

Fluent in English with rubbish French, rubbish Greek, and rubbish German. 

Oh cool! It’s nice to know a bit of each of those at least.

This thread would be a lot more entertaining if we shared the best insults or sayings from our languages in the spirit of education and building  a strong international community based on hearty mutual ribbing.

Haha agreed, people can go ahead and do that if they wish to. 😆

Στον πούτσο μου λουλούδια και γύρω-γύρω μέλισσες

Oh my- 😳

Interesting phrase you got there. 🤭

Your turn. Perhaps we can also talk about why so many Indian insults seem to revolve around s****l relations with family members? That's always been a curiosity for me. We could argue that perhaps it's because family is sacrosanct in India and therefore an amazing target for insults. However, that's also the case in Greece, yet there aren't really all that many Indian-style bad words. 

I did not know that Indian insults, and I guess Greek too, seem to revolve around that, I guess we all learn something new every day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 24
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, zeus777 said:

Japanese and English.

Awesome languages! 😆

I should have taken basic Spanish classes in college, but my excuse was "I've suffered enough with English, I know two languages already so that should be enough."

Well, I guess if you feel that way then that’s good enough, though personally the more the better. 😂

In case you’re wondering, not many people would dress up like that in Japan but since I like to entertain my students at work, I choose to dress in a certain way. I’m pretty sure I stood out, standing in line waiting for my coffee.

Ooo that’s interesting! 😮

Then I heard these two guys talking in English, and basically one guy was commenting on how ridiculous I looked, and the other guy looked a bit upset and was telling him to stop saying rude stuff. Judging from their accents, they sounded like Americans. Well excuse me for looking like a walking Christmas tree.
Dude, this is Tokyo, there are PLENTY of people who can speak and understand English.

Ah, so rude!! 😭

Thank goodness it was only one guy who was rude instead of both of them. Nonetheless you’re right, it was dumb for him to assume that you wouldn’t be able to understand. 

So I went up to them and thanked the @$$ hole for all the lovely compliments, and also added that he looked "disgustingly handsome in his knit cap with a f*cking hole" in it. In English of course.

AHAHA, good, that’s what he gets. 🤣

I waved at the nicer guy and he wished me a Merry Christmas. Well thank you, sir. The other guy can go screw himself.
That was fun.

Haha, that other guy seemed to be okay. 👌

Either way, the situation did sound fun.

Not trying to high-jack this thread or anything, but if you guys have a “They didn’t know I understood what they were saying” story, I'd like to hear them.

Oh no, don’t worry about that, I’d like to hear them too. Personally I don’t have any because in the U.S. people expect me to know English, and in Russia people expect me to know Russian. In Russia, I was one of the people speaking in English since the majority of Russians don’t know English, especially where I was, so it was convenient for me. And in the U.S., I am one of the people who speaks in Russian, so no one can understand me. I don’t usually insult people with the different language I know, but if they’re rude to me, I may end up insulting them a little. 🤭

• Like 25
  • Up 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, vickiespencer said:

I speak English, and sadly that is all. Many moons ago, when I was in high school, I took two years of German, but not much sunk in. I still remember the word danke and the words to Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken.

Well, it’s not too late to learn if you’re interested! 😄

At least you know a few German words/phrases. 🤷‍♀️

17 hours ago, guru3dart said:

English- Professional

Hindi-Native

Ay, very cool!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, mdrokonuzzam390 said:

I'm a Bangladeshi. So I know Bangla and I also know English fluently. Mey thora thora Hindi bolta parta hey....😃

Very cool to know! I have a friend who is also from Bangladesh, she knows both those languages as well. 😆

• Like 22
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I only know English (an English creole as well if creoles count as languages) and some Spanish. I've been trying to improve my Spanish lately. I've been looking into some African languages so a third may be on the way!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 7:59 PM, yingren0 said:

I only know English (an English creole as well if creoles count as languages) and some Spanish. I've been trying to improve my Spanish lately. I've been looking into some African languages so a third may be on the way!

Ay, those all sound very cool! Keep going with that language learning. 😄

• Like 19
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, psykkopatte said:

French, my native language, and English.
If I had to learn another one, most useful for me would be Spanish or German, I would probably go for German.

French sounds so pretty. 😍

English is cool too. 👍

Well, if you want, then you can go ahead and learn German. That would be awesome.

• Like 19
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:06 AM, brainiachades said:

English and Yoruba

Wow, I've never heard of Yoruba before. Sounds like a cool language though! 😀

On 7/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, shopify_basket said:

English 

English gang. 😎

• Like 19
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I speak Urdu. It is a fact that you will never be able to learn a new language because it is almost impossible to learn a new language in its entirety. By entirety, I mean being able to read, write, think, speak and listen, grammar, word choice usage, spelling and express yourself in more than one way. If you are fully committed to learning a new language, still,  it will take about ten years to be on par with native speakers.

• Like 14
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

• 8 months later...