A random question out of pure curiosity

zeus777

So in Japan, a LOT of people uses a parasol when they go outside especially during the summer. It's normal back here, and I use it too. The reasons are different, some people don't want to get a tan, in my case the sun is just too darn bright, and since my skin is sensitive I can't wear sunblock. People might say hey, just wear a hat and sunglasses, but for me and many others, simply having a round decent-sized shade above my head is nice. It covers my shoulders and arms too. It does make a difference.

This seems to be a Japan thing, and last summer when I was in Seattle I was walking outside with my parasol, and some lady who was clearly high on something kept shouting IT'S NOT RAINING!! IT'S NOT RAAAAIIINIIIIIING!! to me. Ma'am I can hear you. No need to shout.
I was aware, yes, of all the people on the streets, I was the only one with a parasol. I'm sure I stood out in an odd way.

After I came back to Japan I told a coworker from LA about this, and he said the only time he'd see a person with a parasol when it's not raining is an Impressionism painting. Or some historical drama of Victorian ladies taking a stroll.

So here's a question to my non-Japanese forum buddies, have you ever used a parasol? Do you know anyone who does?
I'm curious.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

In Montana, we use large umbrellas on the beach or attached to tables when we eat outside in the summertime. At other times people use umbrellas when it is raining outside.

I found this online:

The difference between a parasol and an umbrella is the purpose they are used for. While a parasol is typically used for blocking sunlight, umbrellas are used to divert rain, allowing the user to remain dry during a downpour. Because of this, umbrellas and parasols are made from different materials.

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

I was walking outside with my parasol, and some lady who was clearly high on something kept shouting IT'S NOT RAINING!! IT'S NOT RAAAAIIINIIIIIING!!

Unfortunately you were in Seattle, which is quite literally an enclave of mental patients. Sorry you met Karen.

o-OPIOID-DEATHS-900.jpg?4

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Because of this, umbrellas and parasols are made from different materials.

Recently in Japan we see a lot of umbrella-parasols that can be used for both purposes/weathers. I always keep a small one in my bag. The rainy season is coming next month AND the sun is gonna get too bright for a lot of us. The weather keeps switching back and forth especially in June!  😄
In Montana, do people use actual "parasols?"

17 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Sorry you met Karen.

Nah I'm OK, she was just sitting there at the street corner shouting.  If she actually got up and started following me as she yelled, that would've been quite annoying.

This is a random photo I found online, and yup, this is an everyday thing back here:
UWZFGVSYDRJ4JA7SQ2YMDSC3DM.jpg

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

So here's a question to my non-Japanese forum buddies, have you ever used a parasol? Do you know anyone who does?

Nope, I don’t use a parasol even in Singapore with equator sun 365 days a year 🙈 But yes, a lot of people here use it and I’m quite often asked if I took a parasol with me when people hear that I’m going to walk back home etc. 

Its also normal here to see Asian people by the pool fully covered from the sun in full body swimsuits, kind of mittens, hat and half face covered but sitting on the sun. 
I always thought it was for keeping the skin white as that’s used to be a status thing back in the days? 

I hate taking umbrella with me even for rain 🙈 I’d rather get wet than having this big round thing to carry around and deal with 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

always thought it was for keeping the skin white as that’s used to be a status thing back in the days? 

True, people with pale/fair skin was seen as rich people who didn't have to go outside and work, but a lot of people still believe that fair skin is a sign of beauty.
I will point out of course that there are plenty of people prefer getting a tan because it looks healthy/athletic.

One thing is that it's not that people don't want to get a tan or want to keep their skin pale, they want to prevent themselves from getting freckles when they get older, and they believe that protecting their skin from the sun is the best way to prevent that.

On the other hand there are people like me who juuuuuuuuust don't want the sun in their faces.

15 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

I hate taking umbrella with me even for rain

Yeah I hear you, I do want to keep both of my hands free if I can...I hope someone will invent a flying/floating parasol with no handles in the future.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, zeus777 said:

No and no. I've seen parasols attached at beaches and nearby restaurant tables outside (or are those called sunshades?), but never a person carrying one.

3 hours ago, zeus777 said:

One thing is that it's not that people don't want to get a tan or want to keep their skin pale, they want to prevent themselves from getting freckles when they get older, and they believe that protecting their skin from the sun is the best way to prevent that.

I don't really care whether I get a tan or not (I mean, it doesn't bother me either way, as long as it's not after a sunburn), and I don't mind freckles. I see them as kinda cute.

• Like 7

I've seen them in China - or people covering up completely in the summer (which to be sounded impossible because even short shorts are too long in 40 degree heat!) but not much in Europe to be honest, though sometimes I've toyed with the idea of getting one (the idea of portable shade is... pretty good!) In some places you might get a look or two for it, but quite honestly I feel like mostly people would just let you be (at least in Sweden.) Smaller villages/towns might be different though! 
I like getting a tan but burn before that every year, so having a parasol would likely help actually (since I'd probably tan more gradually!) 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, zeus777 said:
This seems to be a Japan thing,

This is definitely a Japan thing!

I never owned a parasol or umbrella until I came to Japan. I always used a raincoat whenever it rained but I don't really see people wearing raincoats in Tokyo! Even if they're riding bikes they hold an umbrella in one hand. Umbrellas are much more convenient.

As a parasol for blocking the sun....I would only use it on really hot days (and only to block the heat). Otherwise, I love getting a tan!

I think it's funny when I show off my tan to my Japanese friends. Instead of saying, "Great tan!" like my US friends would say, they look very worried and say, '"Don't worry, it'll go away!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

It's amazing how we react to tans differently?
As mentioned there are plenty of girls who wouldn't mind getting a tan, but I guess the majority wants to stay pale.
I don't mind the tab, but I DO mind the sun sadly.
When I go to the office I get into a silly "argument" on whether we close the blinds or not. I just hate the sun in my face, and now I'm being called a
vampire, hehehe.

BTW if I can customize a flying parasol, it will look like this for sure.

bana1.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, zeus777 said:

In Montana, do people use actual "parasols?"

I have never seen one in Montana. Well, maybe in a play.

10 hours ago, zeus777 said:

they believe that protecting their skin from the sun is the best way to prevent that.

I do not have freckles at age 71 and I was a sun worshiper. Plus, my dad was a farmer and I worked outside a lot in the summers.

6 hours ago, catwriter said:

(or are those called sunshades?)

Here we call them umbrellas.

6 hours ago, catwriter said:

but never a person carrying one.

Do they have umbrellas for the rain?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1