Jump to content

What's one thing you are looking forward to in March?


Recommended Posts

Similarly to my last few posts, I've been just hoping to spread a tad bit of positivity! 

February so far has been hectic for me with... quite the balance of good/awful things that happened, but...it's slowly ending. Here's for a better March for plenty of sunshine!

Personal-life wise, I'll likely be going home for a few days to get some business sorted out which is awesome (mostly because I'll be able to eat some Hungarian food!  Fisherman's soup, here I come!) As for a 'small thing' I can't wait for... I got a pretty cool book a few weeks back so I can't wait for a sunshiny day to be able to go outside and read it in, well, the sunlight. 

Work-wise, I've gotten a few more game-design based gigs in, which is SO cool - and I can't wait to actually focus on them! It's been so fan to try out totally new things (and... playing games/escape rooms for 'research's sake' is probably a huge plus as well!)

So... what are YOU guys looking forward to in March? Anything 'huge' happening?

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing big planned in March, though taking a trip in May.

I do have a rather long YA novel I'm beta/critiquing (not through Fiverr) over the next however-long-it-takes (very generous deadline, so no huge rush). It's an isekai, but it has an interesting premise I've not seen in the genre yet. 

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

I got a pretty cool book a few weeks back

You willing to share a title, or it is something you find interesting but not something most would?

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

playing games/escape rooms for 'research's sake' is probably a huge plus

Escape rooms are a lot of fun. I got to work as a gamemaster in one for a very short stint, right before 2020 took a tank. Did you know there are conventions for 'puzzle' rooms? Or, at least guest panels in some conventions. I've watched several on YouTube.

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

but it has an interesting premise I've not seen in the genre yet. 

Oh, now I'm very curious! I've just added a bunch of isekai to my watchlist on crunchyroll, I always have a couple weeks a year when I just get really hooked on anime/manga and just.. consume a ton of it. I've been trying to watch the Circle because I find it incredibly interesting from a social viewpoint, but ended up mostly watching... other stuff.

Where are you going to in May?

10 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

You willing to share a title, or it is something you find interesting but not something most would?

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

I believe it's called Cinderella is Dead - really unsure how 'big' it is because we got it from the geek bookstore in Stockholm (also, if you're ever here... definitely worth a visit! A bit on the higher price-end but there's just so much stuff. 

11 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Did you know there are conventions for 'puzzle' rooms?

I didn't know! I'm still very new (both to playing and actually making them) but I'd definitely love to attend/listen in to be honest. Yesterday was the first escape room I can say with full honesty that we...actually won at (and there was this board game we won but the ending was super rushed and I wasn't very happy). I reaaally loved the atmosphere in yesterday's room though. We were only two people playing, so the fact that there weren't too many puzzles where you had to run/etc. was definitely a plus! 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my kids' birthdays in in March, and my sisters are visiting each other, which means I get to live vicariously through them for a week of vacation -- pictures and such. I don't get vacations.

I recently beta'd a portal fantasy, which is a bit like non-Japanese isekai. Interesting stuff.

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's scary that we're almost in March... My birthday is coming up, which is not a big deal, but if I'd get a birthday cake, I'd wish for more work. I hoped to get enough experience to start a copy-editing course by now, but the process is rather slow and I'm running out of ideas 😅 But! With some colleagues, we've started an accountability group, and our first meeting is next Monday. Can't wait to start that!

Oh, and I've got a client (interpreting), who's gonna take part in an interesting project, and I'm really excited to work with her and the teams who got her this opportunity. Though that's more like a personal matter since I'd stopped working as an interpreter through an agency and I just help the client whenever I can.

Other than that? More horror and thriller books (though I have about 20 unread on my Kindle). And, we're gonna go to the Hungarian shop with the neighbour -- five-hour drive back and forth -- and I'm gonna buy all the smoked sausages and hams.

5 hours ago, katakatica said:

Personal-life wise, I'll likely be going home for a few days to get some business sorted out which is awesome (mostly because I'll be able to eat some Hungarian food!  Fisherman's soup, here I come!)

Do you often go? I miss Hungarian food too... Not the fishy things, more like proper pork dishes (pork is horrible in Scotland), and all the pickles, the fresh vegetables and fruit that still have flavour... Please post some foody pictures from home (palinka, too -- I'm not a drinker, but my father's homemade stuff is to-die-for)! Have a lovely time!

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, katakatica said:

Oh, now I'm very curious!

I'm only a few chapters in, but if it stays interesting, I'll let you know. (I don't recommend books until I read them.)

Is LogHorizon on your to-watch list? I've only watched the first few episodes, but I've heard good things. Also, Rising of the Shield Hero. Though, if you prefer to avoid series that are not complete, might want to wait on both of those.

3 hours ago, katakatica said:

Yesterday was the first escape room I can say with full honesty that we...actually won at

Congrats! With only two people, that's quite an accomplishment. Did you use any hints?

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kataedits said:

but if I'd get a birthday cake, I'd wish for more work. I

I hope you'll get a cake - and your wish comes true! (My birthday is still far away but I'd love some cake as well. I've been mostly having licorice / ice-cream as a snack lately for some reason. 

I don't go home particularly often - I WAS home from 2020 autumn till last October (so for about a year) because of all that was going on but haven't been since then. 

Not super keen on travelling right now due to the numbers still being high over there from what I know (Sweden has just..  stopped caring I think. ) 

Which Hungarian store do you go go? I reckon there's one in Edinburgh? I know that - at least when I was living there - there was a restaurant that was fully Hungarian and it was pretty good. I made a decent csirkepörkölt (alien for chicken stew, people) for Christmas but I don't have my own kitchen right now so haven't experimented much with other stuff. I do have my own paprika though. 

Gave a list to my mom on what to cook if I end up going home and it's only growing! 

Weirdly enough what I REALLY have been craving is krumplistészta (it's a dish of pasta with literally potatoes and paprika for those who don't know Hungarian food!) I might make it at this point though! 

Do you head home often?

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Also, Rising of the Shield Hero. Though, if you prefer to avoid series that are not complete, might want to wait on both of those.

Ah not yet - but I'll add them to the list! We're watching Mob Psycho (which admittedly is not isekai or something I'd normally watch) but I'm quite hooked. Last season is coming out later though. 

I'm a bit torn on the Arcane though - tried getting into it but wasn't THAT eager to keep watching it for some reason. Love the art/animation though so I might watch the rest slowly. 

 

10 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Congrats! With only two people, that's quite an accomplishment. Did you use any hints?

We used one official hint and the game master helped us out a few times (but mostly on letting us know which puzzle to focus on). No records were broken but we had a lot of fun! I think this was the first time in an escape room that the 'team' was broken up and we had to communicate/work together that way which I found really fun as well. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't want to be condescending or anything, but I really hope I will have more educated buyers next month. This past month I had some spray on me or something that brought a lot of weirdos to my gigs. Well, we can always hope things are better in the future 🙂

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I don't want to be condescending or anything, but I really hope I will have more educated buyers next month. This past month I had some spray on me or something that brought a lot of weirdos to my gigs. Well, we can always hope things are better in the future 🙂

That's totally valid - I had a stream of not-so-professional buyers as well (mostly just people who didn't know to give all the info when you purchase the gig, didn't realise how long 1000 words were and stuff like that, nothing serious but still! Hope next month goes a tad better for you!

 

 

12 hours ago, aarontgladiator said:

Well, my exams are going to be ending in March, which I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT! We were told that our exams were going to be offline 5 DAYS BEFORE THE FREAKING EXAMS! NO ONE WAS PREPARED. But oh well...

That...doesn't quite sound right, but I guess with how many countries are treating COVID less and less seriously it does make sense? Offline exams are probably more efficient though (I never liked writing tests online to be honest.) Good luck!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My birthday is in March so I am looking forward to treating  myself to an amazingly decadent breakfast as I do every year.

There are a few ps5 games like GT 7 and Horizon that I look forward to playing once my current projects wind down (probably second week of March).

Aaand I may or may not have a thing or two to announce on my Fiverr anniversary (also in March) that may be exciting for fellow forum members. 🙂 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, frank_d said:

There are a few ps5 games like GT 7 and Horizon that I look forward to playing once my current projects wind down (probably second week of March).

 

Didn't know you were a gamer Frank. That being said, great choices 🙂

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Didn't know you were a gamer Frank. That being said, great choices 🙂

 

I’m an avid gamer!

 

owned pretty much every console from Atari 2600 to PS5.

I am one trophy away from platinum on Ghost of Tsushima and then it’s off to Horizon! 😉

  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, if games can be included in 'what I'm looking forward to', then I'm going to try to FINALLY play the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. (Been putting it off, since a fanfic I'm beta-reading is based on the original FF7+CC+BC+DoC, and I wanted to avoid the newest stuff from influencing me.)

Also, I've been considering buying the DLC for Oxygen Not Included, but maybe I'll save that for April.

Last thing game-wise: I'm messing with... well, constructing a challenge-run? I've got an idea for a potentially interesting challenge for LoZ:BotW, but I'm still testing the game mechanics to see if it's really that feasible, and then I'll have to see if it's actually fun and not boring/tedious.

Oh, and there's a mini-GDQ event next week, so that's partially in March. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frank_d said:

I’m an avid gamer!

 

Awesome, me too!

Although it seems you are more of a console gamer, I am PC only myself 🙂

1 hour ago, frank_d said:

owned pretty much every console from Atari 2600 to PS5.

 

That's just amazing...

1 hour ago, frank_d said:

I am one trophy away from platinum on Ghost of Tsushima and then it’s off to Horizon! 😉

Great taste in games 🙂 

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Last thing game-wise: I'm messing with... well, constructing a challenge-run? I've got an idea for a potentially interesting challenge for LoZ:BotW, but I'm still testing the game mechanics to see if it's really that feasible, and then I'll have to see if it's actually fun and not boring/tedious.

 

What I notice here is that I am missing a lot by not owning a console.... 

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Also, I've been considering buying the DLC for Oxygen Not Included, but maybe I'll save that for April.

 

I like that game too, I didn't know they have a DLC for it. Might check that out now 🙂

It's nice to see some fellow gamers 🙂 Well, I for one.. I am preparing myself (mentally and time-wise) for Elden Ring and Elex 2 for the next month... 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

to FINALLY play the Final Fantasy 7

You are going to loooove it if you were into the original. Which was my all-time favorite RPG along with chrono trigger and a link to the past.

  • Like 7
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 9:17 AM, katakatica said:

Weirdly enough what I REALLY have been craving is krumplistészta (it's a dish of pasta with literally potatoes and paprika for those who don't know Hungarian food!) I might make it at this point though! 

Hopefully there will be some pictures of it! :classic_biggrin:

This March, I am looking forward to making first sales here! 🙃🙏

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not an avid hardcore gamer, but I'm fascinated by the gamer community, especially speed-running.

22 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

What I notice here is that I am missing a lot by not owning a console.

There are a lot of games being ported to PC in Steam, though some are notable more... clunky. (Disgaea is the only port I've given serious time to, and I still find it cumbersome.) 

Also, console-only gamers sometimes say the same thing about missing out on PC games! (I know I use to, years ago.)

27 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I didn't know they have a DLC for it.

The DLC is called 'Spaced Out'. Lots of MAJOR changes and new content. Klei only had it leave early access mid-December, though it was in open-beta/early-access for a few months. Some of the changes affected the base-game too, so it's like a mini-update for that.

9 minutes ago, frank_d said:

You are going to loooove it if you were into the original.

NO SPOILERS!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh, got a little swarmed... Sorry for the late reply @katakatica!

On 2/22/2022 at 8:17 AM, katakatica said:

My birthday is still far away but I'd love some cake as well. 

You're going to Hungary! There's no need for an excuse to have a slice of Esterházy torta!

On 2/22/2022 at 8:17 AM, katakatica said:

Which Hungarian store do you go go? I reckon there's one in Edinburgh? I know that - at least when I was living there - there was a restaurant that was fully Hungarian and it was pretty good. I made a decent csirkepörkölt (alien for chicken stew, people) for Christmas but I don't have my own kitchen right now so haven't experimented much with other stuff. I do have my own paprika though. 

Gave a list to my mom on what to cook if I end up going home and it's only growing! 

Weirdly enough what I REALLY have been craving is krumplistészta (it's a dish of pasta with literally potatoes and paprika for those who don't know Hungarian food!) I might make it at this point though! 

Do you head home often?

The closest to me is in Aberdeen, and as far as I know they sell some homemade lángos too (for those who aren't familiar with Hungarian food: it's a fried dough usually served with garlic, sour cream, and grated cheese). My family sends paprika and other little stuff over, so I can often make paprikáskrumpli (potato stew with paprika). I haven't had krumplistészta for years! I'm too lazy to make it with homemade pasta like we used to in Hungary.

Grow that list and share with us all the tastiness! I rarely go, last time was for Christmas in 2019, next time probably January... But we have to wait and see.

Have a lovely time and take of yourself!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kataedits said:

You're going to Hungary! There's no need for an excuse to have a slice of Esterházy torta!

I'm hoping to get a képviselôfánk at least (look it up for those who don't know it's it's just a pastry filled with custard and whipped cream) I rarely ever get to have it - tho they do have their version of it here but it has almond cream I think and it's not THAT good. 

I never made it up to Aberdeen - looks like it'd been a bit of a truck for me since I was around Edinburgh. I would do a lot for lángos right now though! 

Looks like I'll be heading home already this or next week (wanting to sort stuff out as quick as possible) but nothing is arranged but the stuff my mom will have to cook! 

Hope you'll make it back soon! I sometimes fly wizzair - cheap and not that great but I think even from the UK they have good deals (tho I know oftentimes it's more of a time thing.) 

We never made krumplisteszta fully homemade! I actually might make the bacon version when I'm back up in Stockholm tho ( Swedes need meat with every meal ha!) 

Hope you're having a lovely early (very early) spring as well. 

We've had like three straight days of just sun here and it has been absolutely wonderful. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...