Dear madam, please don't call me sir, my dear

smashradio

• 2 months later...

Ok! One of the best things that I've done after joining Fiverr is reading this post!

To be honest, I didn't have any idea about the sensitivity of addressing mechanisms here in this multi-national, multi-cultural, multi-gender, multi-whatever platform!

I am so very happy to know the "Do's and Don'ts" of verbal or written communication at the very outset of my work here. 

Definitely, the aim is to do business and not establish relationships!

Thank you all. 👍

• Like 54

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, ariannecoach said:

Tell you what, it’s hard living down here in the Southern US. Everyone calls everyone “sir” “ma’am”, “Honey” “Sweetie” “Hon” “Sugar-bun”, “Sweetheart”, “Bless your heart” I tell you, the list goes on lol! I do find that anyone outside of the Southern US, when they say Sir or Ma’am, it’s more in a … frustrated way? Like, “This is what I’m trying to say, Sir,” rather than a term of endearment, it’s almost meant as a way to communicate frustration (not all the time, just something I’ve noticed.) Some people say it out of endearment, which you could usually get away with in the Southern US, but outside of that? Has no place in a professional and international environment.

yea, i understand ... but the guy wasn't being nice. Trust me. He was condescending to everyone. Nobody would confuse his demeanor & take it the wrong way.

• Like 49

On 5/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, paschalisblack said:

I guess it’s a thing of Asian countries. Every time I was called “bro” it was from an Asian user.

It's the complete opposite for me. I am an Asian seller and those who call me "bro" are mostly American buyers. My repeat buyer who is an American woman even calls me "dear" sometimes. It's unusual, but I don't really mind that. I like to think it's perhaps an indication that she's comfortable working with me. Hence the repeat business. I personally avoid using "bro" when communicating unless the buyer starts it first, just to sound more friendly. I still prefer to use something like "thanks, man!" over "bro" through.

Edited by kevindwren
  • Like 50
  • Up 1

In darkweb (like telegram and cracked forums etc) many folks may call you boss. And most of time when you show stubborn appearance and insist a lot. 😂

I also noticed addresses are not region or gender specific. It depend on department.

Anyway, I don't care what they call me or what should I call them. Important is context.

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think lot of sellers try to attract clients through well mannered language handling like this and lot of Asian  sellers do this as a trick but im not thinking Western clients don't think about it and focus only about the work quality.

But i think we have to maintain good communication  level with polite attitudes always. 

• Like 43