Received First Order But Got Low Ratings

omarjamil27

Hello everyone! Finally, I received my first order a few days back, completed and delivered it on time. However, the buyer gave me a low rating for not meeting his criteria. Please guide me about how I can improve that and get more people to buy from me. Thank you!

Hi Omar.
I am sorry your first order ended up devastating for your account on Fiverr.

It is understandable that you same as many others hope to have Fiverr as secondary or main source of income but in order for this to work you need to offer skills you actually have or at least you are good at fabricating.

The negative review is only one but unfortunately shares a lot of issues with your service.
Can you really create blog post or are you using internet spinners or similar tools?

The problem with this now is that you need 10 5.0* ratings to have 4.7 on your account which is considered minimum for getting orders.

40 five star ratings will get you to 4.9 where you can expect your service to gain more visibility.

You should reevaluate your skills and services you are offering.

You could get bad first buyer all the time so all hope is not lost. But try to offer services you are confident in.

As far as I can tell, the review left by the buyer seems very fair.
He was trying to point out your good points, but as a “writer,” having bad grammar is a huge problem, and being friendly with a low price is not enough to cover that.
I’m afraid there isn’t much you can do, hopefully there will be buyers who are willing to give you a try despite the low review.

Thank you for the supporting remarks. I have not used spinners or any kind of software, except Grammarly. I hope I get a good review the next time.

Good to hear you have completed your first order. Alternately you can offer your buyer a review of work before sending final version.

Guest paola2050

Hello everyone! Finally, I received my first order a few days back, completed and delivered it on time. However, the buyer gave me a low rating for not meeting his criteria. Please guide me about how I can improve that and get more people to buy from me. Thank you!

However, the buyer gave me a low rating for not meeting his criteria.

Not all the buyers are the same. dont worry, maybe that buyer knew that it is your first order, therefore he used you. You keep getting another orders. Dont be passive for one buyer. it doesnt always happen. Just keep going on If you dont trust to the buyer, you ask them to pay in advance, before you do the task.

I’ve seen a lot of buyer reviews on Fiverr and (without knowing the full story of your order) your buyer appears to have left an honestly held and balanced review - pointing out some positive and some negative aspects.

However, if what your buyer has written is true, then I would politely suggest that you need to take a critical look at your own profile and skills - and reevaluate where necessary. You appear to be selling writing services in English. You describe yourself as fluent in the language.

But there is a massive difference between being able to communicate and make yourself understood in a language - and being at a level that is proficient enough to write error free articles for publication. There is a very wise phrase - “under promise and over deliver” (which will lead to client satisfaction). Not “over promise and under deliver” (which will only ever lead to client disappointment).

Before worrying about how to secure more orders, take a look at what you offer. Be honest with yourself. Can you really deliver to a high enough standard what it is you offer?

Not all the buyers are the same. dont worry, maybe that buyer knew that it is your first order, therefore he used you. You keep getting another orders. Dont be passive for one buyer. it doesnt always happen. Just keep going on If you dont trust to the buyer, you ask them to pay in advance, before you do the task.

If you don t trust to the buyer, you ask them to pay in advance, before you do the task.

Err, correct. This is how Fiverr works. A seller should never do work before an order is placed.

Guest paola2050

If you don t trust to the buyer, you ask them to pay in advance, before you do the task.

Err, correct. This is how Fiverr works. A seller should never do work before an order is placed.

Maybe you dont understand the topic. I said to do this, after an order is placed and they come to the agreement. I mentioned sometimes one buyer gives more than one order. In this case, he can ask to pay in advance for the second order. Why you are distracting me? As I did something wrong. I cant notice the coincidence to my sentences in your complaint

Thank you Paola. You are right. I have time to improve and get back.

I’ve seen a lot of buyer reviews on Fiverr and (without knowing the full story of your order) your buyer appears to have left an honestly held and balanced review - pointing out some positive and some negative aspects.

However, if what your buyer has written is true, then I would politely suggest that you need to take a critical look at your own profile and skills - and reevaluate where necessary. You appear to be selling writing services in English. You describe yourself as fluent in the language.

But there is a massive difference between being able to communicate and make yourself understood in a language - and being at a level that is proficient enough to write error free articles for publication. There is a very wise phrase - “under promise and over deliver” (which will lead to client satisfaction). Not “over promise and under deliver” (which will only ever lead to client disappointment).

Before worrying about how to secure more orders, take a look at what you offer. Be honest with yourself. Can you really deliver to a high enough standard what it is you offer?

I made a mistake for not asking for a review. I just submitted the order too early. I agree, I have to improve. Thanks…

Guest paola2050

I made a mistake for not asking for a review. I just submitted the order too early. I agree, I have to improve. Thanks…

Maybe you did only one mistake. I don`t think it happens again. Next time you should ask for review earlier

By god’s grace, on Fiverr (and other freelancer platforms) I have nothing but 5 stars. Of course, tomorrow, or next month, I might get a lower star but as I type this, I am 100 % 5 stars.

I can give some nuggets from my own experience

1. Dont take up work which you know you cannot do. Sometimes life gets desperate, you want money. badly. You decide to exceed your grasp. That’s essentially a gamble. Dont do that. In India, we have an old saying - “stretch your legs as far as the mattress goes”. Ask as many questions as you want, even if it irritates the client. At any point, you feel, you cannot meet the client needs, dont go for it. Politely say no and get out.
  2. Updates. Updates. Updates. I update my client every time I sneeze while I work on their project. If the work is going well, I tell them its going well. If the work is going, I dont hide it. I tell them work is getting complicated and I might need more time. Good or bad news, I keep them updated.
  3. Explain Time Zones and Time gaps. To me, the biggest challenge is time zones (and I have mostly managed them). Explain to clients what times you are available and what time you are not. if possible setup a shared calendar. Unless its a big, regular order client, dont change your work hours.
  4. Lastly, if you realise you cannot do something, voluntarily offer a refund. Send the work already done as a token of co-operation. You may lose some money in the short run, but in the long run, trust me, honesty always works.

additional note : avoid customers who are always looking for the cheapest deal. Buyers who keep asking for discount on top of discounts. Those are the ones who will almost always want to a) make you work more b) and try to guilt you into doing even more c) then give a low rating anyway.

In order to get a good rating from the buyer, the buyer has to work according to the buyer’s needs, and impress the buyer with your words and behavior, and respond to the buyer’s message very quickly so that you can get a good rating … I think I understand you … Thank you …

Guest paola2050

Dont pay attention to others sentences and keep working hard.

Best of luck to you. And don`t suspect other buyers.

Guest paola2050

I have a brilliant idea. After sending an offer to the buyer, you should wait for the buyers response and you respond him immediately. By doing this, you can get many orders. After taking an order, you should work on this project from that moment. When your work is ready, you should send that to the buyer immediately. Dont waste your time and just be flexible.

By god’s grace, on Fiverr (and other freelancer platforms) I have nothing but 5 stars. Of course, tomorrow, or next month, I might get a lower star but as I type this, I am 100 % 5 stars.

I can give some nuggets from my own experience

1. Dont take up work which you know you cannot do. Sometimes life gets desperate, you want money. badly. You decide to exceed your grasp. That’s essentially a gamble. Dont do that. In India, we have an old saying - “stretch your legs as far as the mattress goes”. Ask as many questions as you want, even if it irritates the client. At any point, you feel, you cannot meet the client needs, dont go for it. Politely say no and get out.
  2. Updates. Updates. Updates. I update my client every time I sneeze while I work on their project. If the work is going well, I tell them its going well. If the work is going, I dont hide it. I tell them work is getting complicated and I might need more time. Good or bad news, I keep them updated.
  3. Explain Time Zones and Time gaps. To me, the biggest challenge is time zones (and I have mostly managed them). Explain to clients what times you are available and what time you are not. if possible setup a shared calendar. Unless its a big, regular order client, dont change your work hours.
  4. Lastly, if you realise you cannot do something, voluntarily offer a refund. Send the work already done as a token of co-operation. You may lose some money in the short run, but in the long run, trust me, honesty always works.

additional note : avoid customers who are always looking for the cheapest deal. Buyers who keep asking for discount on top of discounts. Those are the ones who will almost always want to a) make you work more b) and try to guilt you into doing even more c) then give a low rating anyway.

Thank you Jay. Your tips are helpful indeed.

Maybe you did only one mistake. I don`t think it happens again. Next time you should ask for review earlier

I have not used spinners or any kind of software, except Grammarly.

If you used Grammarly, you would not have spelling errors and bad grammar unless you use the free version of Grammarly? :thinking:

Next time you should ask for review earlier

Bad advice. NEVER ask for a review. It is considered review manipulation and can get your account a warning or worse, banned.

Since the same bad advice @paola2050 gave in this thread continues to circulate, I thought I would post the reply I received from Jenny when I told her about uninformed sellers giving this advice on the Fiverr Forum.

image.png.1569fd65859e922f85e4d8a216b617ff.png
image814×400 21 KB

Wait, paola2050, I thought you were closing your forum account?

I guess you had a change of mind!

I made a mistake for not asking for a review.

Nope and nope. Enjoy receiving account warnings/suspension/termination if you conduct such actions.

Guest paola2050

Wait, paola2050, I thought you were closing your forum account?

I guess you had a change of mind!

I made a mistake for not asking for a review.

Nope and nope. Enjoy receiving account warnings/suspension/termination if you conduct such actions.

They didnt close (terminate) my account. I couldnt close my account. you don`t worry, before they terminate my account, I will manage to quit fiverr completely. I only joined to his opinion.

Archived