Intolerance Among Forum Members

hassannawaz0303

Well, I explained exactly why your idea would be very bad for everyone, and you never addressed it or refuted my argument directly.

As for the sarcastic replies, there are only so many times you can read “Dear sir/mam, how can I meksell?” or the hundreds of threads giving BS advice before you snap (not saying it was your case in that thread, mind you).

You have been in the forums since May. You don’t understand the repetition and constant flow of clueless people, because you simply don’t have enough time and experience here. Once you do, you’ll understand the replies from more experienced members. It’s just annoying.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I explained exactly why your idea would be very bad for everyone, and you never addressed it or refuted my argument directly.

As for the sarcastic replies, there are only so many times you can read “Dear sir/mam, how can I meksell?” or the hundreds of threads giving BS advice before you snap (not saying it was your case in that thread, mind you).

You have been in the forums since May. You don’t understand the repetition and constant flow of clueless people, because you simply don’t have enough time and experience here. Once you do, you’ll understand the replies from more experienced members. It’s just annoying.

Actually I never meant to point you anywhere

There is a whole discussion above regarding this, that how you can choose either to ignore or flag those posts.

There is a whole discussion above regarding this, that how you can choose either to ignore or flag those posts.

Don’t understand what you mean by that.

Flagging is not my style. That’s censorship. I prefer to criticise and mock in the open, so others can see and decide for themselves. It’s a matter of taste, I suppose. If everybody posting stupid content gets ridiculed enough, eventually the power of shame will overcome the power of ignorance.

Some people are just lost cases though. You can run circles around them, make them look like idiots, and they won’t even get it. Such a bittersweet feeling. It’s like punching a vegetative patient - you will feel the punch land, always satisfactory. But he won’t, and that really detracts from the experience.

how you can choose either to ignore or flag those posts.

This where the problem lies. Whatever you do, those post will keep coming and coming non-stop. You can actually see most of the posts created from someone who just created the account in minutes ago. It’s unstoppable.

Let me tell you why this is a problem:

• Those irrelevant posts will bury the actual beneficial post which contains valuable tips and discussion. ANd when those happens, the actual sellers who actually need help coudn’t get their solution they’re expecting, and thus leading them to recreate those irrelevant ‘Help me, I don mek sales at all’ all over again. This will be a continuous loop.

• Trust me, when you open the forum, it doesn’t look appealing at all. Those irrelevant threads (with broken English and repeated rantings) are flooding all over the place. Let’s say if you’re potential buyer and you come across the forum, this will definitely gave a bad impression to the platform.

This is why I prefer the Fiverr subreddit than here. Those place is heavily moderated and you can actually participate in more meaningful and actively discussion. (I’m sure I will get flagged for this for promoting other places, but I need to point out it’s good to see some point of view outside this forum)

I’ve just had a look at the other thread you posted that this one seems to be about and I understand where you’re coming from but let me say this:

I took a break from the forum for 1 year, when I came back I was really happy to see a couple of familiar faces of sellers who have been active on the forum all this time it seems. But I noticed their responses to other forum threads seemed a bit … hostile, i kept reading the same person responding to every response in a thread “if you read the TOS you would know… See, the fact that you don’t know this tells me you didn’t read the TOS” etc. And I thought to myself it was really odd to step into the forum and read a bunch of these. So I decided to start responding to threads myself and try to be friendly and understanding.

You know what happened? After 1 week I was so fed up and frustrated that I turned kind of hostile myself, responding the same ways saying “Well, you clearly didn’t read the TOS or else you would know this”.
I think being nice and patient only works both ways, but some (especially new) sellers and buyers do feel entitled to get answers for questions that have been answered a hundred times here on the forum as well and which would be so easy to just look up with 1 or 2 clicks.

I’ve just had a look at the other thread you posted that this one seems to be about and I understand where you’re coming from but let me say this:

I took a break from the forum for 1 year, when I came back I was really happy to see a couple of familiar faces of sellers who have been active on the forum all this time it seems. But I noticed their responses to other forum threads seemed a bit … hostile, i kept reading the same person responding to every response in a thread “if you read the TOS you would know… See, the fact that you don’t know this tells me you didn’t read the TOS” etc. And I thought to myself it was really odd to step into the forum and read a bunch of these. So I decided to start responding to threads myself and try to be friendly and understanding.

You know what happened? After 1 week I was so fed up and frustrated that I turned kind of hostile myself, responding the same ways saying “Well, you clearly didn’t read the TOS or else you would know this”.

I think being nice and patient only works both ways, but some (especially new) sellers and buyers do feel entitled to get answers for questions that have been answered a hundred times here on the forum as well and which would be so easy to just look up with 1 or 2 clicks.

Precisely. Reading TOS is mandatory. Everyone and their mother’s cousin knows, for example, that Fiverr takes a 20% cut on orders. Yet there are periodic threads of people going “What? I’m getting robbed! I sold a gig for $5 and only got $4!”. This is just an example.

What should the regulars do about that?

On 7/11/2020 at 7:15 AM, visualstudios said:

Precisely. Reading TOS is mandatory. Everyone and their mother’s cousin knows, for example, that Fiverr takes a 20% cut on orders. Yet there are periodic threads of people going “What? I’m getting robbed! I sold a gig for $5 and only got $4!”. This is just an example.

ignore,flag or simply say “please refer the TOS . Thanks” but should never be hostile or threatening. If you are yourself attacking someone, don’t expect good behavior in return

On 7/11/2020 at 7:16 AM, janali said:

Then we should just ignore them . I don’t have to respond and report to every post

Honestly, I don’t think it’s up to the regulars to do something.

It’s the new members who need to be aware of what they are doing, they should have to actually read the forum rules and TOS.

With that being said, it’s also up to Fiverr itself in my opinion to provide new members with all information they need to do things right, for example swamp us with links directing to the TOS EVERYWHERE, I haven’t seen any of that on the forum yet but maybe I am blind and they are there somewhere, I don’t know. Alternatively, rewrite the TOS in a way that every single person no matter their language skills is able to understand them. I know there are translations of the TOS in a lot of languages, but they are written like any legal text and sometimes people just don’t understand that even in their native language.

If Fiverr doesn’t want to do that, I suggest compensating the respected, knowledgeable forum members for the time they spend playing Customer Service and keeping those repetitive questions off CS’s back.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s up to the regulars to do something.

It’s the new members who need to be aware of what they are doing, they should have to actually read the forum rules and TOS.

With that being said, it’s also up to Fiverr itself in my opinion to provide new members with all information they need to do things right, for example swamp us with links directing to the TOS EVERYWHERE, I haven’t seen any of that on the forum yet but maybe I am blind and they are there somewhere, I don’t know. Alternatively, rewrite the TOS in a way that every single person no matter their language skills is able to understand them. I know there are translations of the TOS in a lot of languages, but they are written like any legal text and sometimes people just don’t understand that even in their native language.

If Fiverr doesn’t want to do that, I suggest compensating the respected, knowledgeable forum members for the time they spend playing Customer Service and keeping those repetitive questions off CS’s back.

AHAHAHAHAH. Hilarious xD

At some other point another respected member came in saying something like " If there would have been freedom of speech, I would have used some very colorful language" Is that what you do just because of the reason that someone has a different opinion than yours?

If you are going to quote what I said yesterday don’t change the wording and act like it was an attack on you.

Someone said we have freedom of speech here and I said that we don’t have freedom of speech on websites.

It had nothing to do with you or attacking you. You are deliberately misrepresenting what I said by changing the wording and context.

edited due to being flagged as off topic: I am correcting a misleading statement made about something I said. It pertains to the topic of the thread, which is that there was intolerance of forum members.

Someone said we have freedom of speech here

No one said that it was whole different conversation

Then we should just ignore them . I don’t have to respond and report to every post

That would be the healthy thing to do, but in reality they don’t because they want to help make this plattform better. And “yelling” at someone to read the darn TOS will make the next member think about posting the same question again, or so we hope.

Though just not responding is going to end with less and less knowledgable members looking at the forum. I remember those who have helped me 3 years ago when I was a newbie and so many of them have left Fiverr or are just not active at all on the forum anymore.

Saying that regulars should just not respond will not make the same basic repetitive questions go away, in fact, there will be more of those nobody wants to answer, people will do whatever because nobody helped them, CS will be flooded even more with those questions, this forum needs more knowledgable members responding to threads, not less.

That would be the healthy thing to do, but in reality they don’t because they want to help make this plattform better. And “yelling” at someone to read the darn TOS will make the next member think about posting the same question again, or so we hope.

Though just not responding is going to end with less and less knowledgable members looking at the forum. I remember those who have helped me 3 years ago when I was a newbie and so many of them have left Fiverr or are just not active at all on the forum anymore.

Saying that regulars should just not respond will not make the same basic repetitive questions go away, in fact, there will be more of those nobody wants to answer, people will do whatever because nobody helped them, CS will be flooded even more with those questions, this forum needs more knowledgable members responding to threads, not less.

I know it’s pointless, but I just can’t stand seeing an “advice” topic done by an absolute noob saying things like “Stay online 24/7, send 10 buyer request, offer unlimited revision” with a hundred likes followed by 100 replies of “Thank you for valuable advice sir”. It’s stronger than me.

The discussion was that freedom of speech is fundamental right just like Right to remain silent .

The discussion was that freedom of speech is fundamental right just like Right to remain silent .

It’s not a fundamental right on websites. The site owners get to choose what to allow.

I know it’s pointless, but I just can’t stand seeing an “advice” topic done by an absolute noob saying things like “Stay online 24/7, send 10 buyer request, offer unlimited revision” with a hundred likes followed by 100 replies of “Thank you for valuable advice sir”. It’s stronger than me.

Yeah, that’s where I step in sometimes and may end up being rude because it’s just ridiculous what new members suggest to each other.

I read some thread where the OP said: “help i don’t get orders”

and someone seriously said “just pray and you will be fine” like, what? No! That’s not how this works.

That’s not how any of this works 😭

Nobody is a bigger defender of freedom of speech than me, and yet I already had 2 posts hidden by flags since this discussion started lol. That’s what I consider limiting my freedom of speech, censoring what I say for other’s sensibilities.

Having somebody tell me I’m an idiot for saying those things doesn’t censor me, and thus I appreciate it much more.

Yeah, that’s where I step in sometimes and may end up being rude because it’s just ridiculous what new members suggest to each other.

I read some thread where the OP said: “help i don’t get orders”

and someone seriously said “just pray and you will be fine” like, what? No! That’s not how this works.

That’s not how any of this works 😭

I mean, that will depend. If you do believe in an acting deity, of course praying will help you get orders (in your mind, at least). Then again, that just highlights the logical problems of believing in prayer and acting deities.

And “yelling” at someone to read the darn TOS will make the next member think about posting the same question again

Doesn’t make any difference, people keep saying use SEARCH button but they dont that what make them post a new topic…So post where we are yelling would not be read by them at all because they are busying posting new topic

But rather yelling make that OP feel bad !

Answer can be more simple like Please read TOS or read particular post…and not telling them this ?

Don’t worry delete your gig and the gig impressions will show"

Thats another debate . Don’t want to get indulged into it

But you did claim that when I mentioned I can’t use colorful speech on this forum that it was actually an attack on you.

I suggest you read the thread (previous one) one more time to find out that I am deliberately stating the truth which was being implied from the discussion there

I mean, that will depend. If you do believe in an acting deity, of course praying will help you get orders (in your mind, at least). Then again, that just highlights the logical problems of believing in prayer and acting deities.

Yeah that’s a whole different discussion I’m happy to participate in sometime 😃 But the fact that your response about the “advise” topic actually made me feel anxious because I’ve seen exactly this so many times here on the forum just goes to show that something needs to be done to improve this forum.

Yeah that’s a whole different discussion I’m happy to participate in sometime 😃 But the fact that your response about the “advise” topic actually made me feel anxious because I’ve seen exactly this so many times here on the forum just goes to show that something needs to be done to improve this forum.

I just wanted to clarify that between a freelance platform and an omnipotent being that listens to me, I’ll side with the being every single time lol

Viewer discretion is advised as this post relates to intolerance itself

I am an active member of this forum for quite sometime and have communicated with dozens of forum members including buyers and sellers. Here I have met with some amazing writers and professionals having a very good level of experience, amazing speaking tone and wonderful tolerance and acceptance for other members. But at the same time I have seen many members who though call themselves experienced enough (years long being active) but show very little respect to other members especially newbies.

The incident which I am about to mention now is what I have experienced personally here. Yesterday when I posted something regarding Fiverr site suggestions and expressed my views regarding the importance of reviews and stars, some members came in and despite of expressing their views and going away started pointing personally at me and a few other members who probably supported my idea by saying “We have years of experience on this forum and know alot unlike you who don’t know anything about it” I mean seriously ?? If someone has years of experience on this than he should have a bit of tolerance and know how to criticize opinions and not persons and if you don’t agree with some point you can either choose to skip the post or write your views regarding it and walk away

At some other point another respected member came in saying something like " If there would have been freedom of speech, I would have used some very colorful language" Is that what you do just because of the reason that someone has a different opinion than yours?

Yet another member came in saying something “It doesn’t matter what is being said , but who is saying” I don’t think its a good idea to discard a point of view just because it is being said by someone who is not very popular . The type of experience in which you have gone through something matters a lot matters too and not only the type of experience where have you just spent years somewhere (but still being intolerant and ignorant)

I read a post the other day in which a new seller who hardly had a few days on Fiverr was worried why the gigs impressions etc weren’t showing to him. Then here came in a gentleman who was kinda experienced, despite telling the newbie that this is a part of Fiverr improvement said in a sarcastic way "Don’t worry delete your gig and the gig impressions will show"*. When another person asked him why was he saying that way, he just gave a laugh and went away

Last but not the least I would like to say that no matter if someone differs your opinion and whether he is well experienced (according to the conventional criterion) or not , you must be respectable to him and if you don’t agree to something , rather than pointing at someone personally you should just express your opinion and point the flaws in the views . In no case we should personally attack someone

If you have gone through a similar experience you can share it down below

Thanks for reading. Have a good day

Here is what you said:

Regarding this statement of yours:

You have changed the wording, and presented what I said as if I was attacking you, when I was explaining that there is not freedom of speech on websites.

It had nothing to do with you at all.

edit:

This was flagged as “off topic” when it is a direct response to your incorrect statement in your first post, hardly off topic.

Archived