Intolerance Among Forum Members

hassannawaz0303

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve just had a look at the other thread you posted that this one seems to be about and I understand where you’re coming from but let me say this:

I took a break from the forum for 1 year, when I came back I was really happy to see a couple of familiar faces of sellers who have been active on the forum all this time it seems. But I noticed their responses to other forum threads seemed a bit … hostile, i kept reading the same person responding to every response in a thread “if you read the TOS you would know… See, the fact that you don’t know this tells me you didn’t read the TOS” etc. And I thought to myself it was really odd to step into the forum and read a bunch of these. So I decided to start responding to threads myself and try to be friendly and understanding.

You know what happened? After 1 week I was so fed up and frustrated that I turned kind of hostile myself, responding the same ways saying “Well, you clearly didn’t read the TOS or else you would know this”.

I think being nice and patient only works both ways, but some (especially new) sellers and buyers do feel entitled to get answers for questions that have been answered a hundred times here on the forum as well and which would be so easy to just look up with 1 or 2 clicks.

if you read the TOS you would know

Just picking this as one example.

That isn’t necessarily an expression of hostility, or intolerance, but can be a flamelet of hope that the person who clearly didn’t read the ToS will read them now, so they won’t ask another question that they also wouldn’t need to ask if they’d read the ToS a day or two later. Same goes for Seller Help Center. I try to word it in a nice way, but I think it’s more helpful in the long run to not just kindly give the answer but also hint at it being a good idea to RTFM, both for the sake of the person who asked, as well as for that of the forum.

Granted, there are new forum users all the time who ask the same things over and over again, but at least there’s the hope that people who got one question answered and pointed to the resources to maybe answer their next question themselves, as well, might learn from it, and maybe then even they can “take over” and answer one of those newbie questions instead of someone who did it already 55 times. Sometimes, I reply to “Do you even Google, bro?” questions, sometimes I can’t be bothered, and I think that’s fine, there are always “fresh” or returning people who reply with a bit more, hm, enthusiasm, and others who need to take a break, or focus on just the threads they really enjoy posting in.

Of course, it becomes more boring for people who stick around for longer, sometimes, there’s real news, sometimes nothing moves, but that’s an issue all forums, or communities have, as far as I’ve been able to observe, and yes, sometimes it can seem that forum members are intolerant, or hostile, while probably they are just a bit fed-up with all the repetition.

The question whether ignoring would be better is a bit difficult, if all older members would ignore questions that could be easily looked up, for instance, might lead to threads where people who haven’t read ToS ask something, other people who haven’t read ToS answer, and if no older forum member would jump in with either an indulgent ToS quote, or a stern “this will get you banned and you’d know it if you had read the ToS”, before you know it, lots of people would be banned and back on the forum with new accounts, complaining about having been banned without any reason.

This isn’t really a good example for what OP was about, though.

A bit more tolerance and understanding and remembering how it is to be new from older forum members on the one side, and a bit of research initiative and asking oneself if really nobody ever asked this question, or seller felt this way, and recognizing that if many sellers with several years of experience on the platform all seem to say the same thing, there may be valid reasons other than “you’re just intolerant of new people” on the other side might go a long way.

This link should be posted as the answer for every damn posts out there.

This post might offend and upset some people. The truth is, I don’t care. To cut straight to the point, you are going to fail on Fiverr (and as freelancer overall) if you ever need to ask or think about asking any of the below questions: Can I have more than one Fiverr account?I’m a new seller, what should I sell?How do I market my gig?How can I get sales?Do I need to buy a license to sell (enter service details here)?How do I do (enter service details here)?Can I ask buyers for reviews…

I think you have read that personally and I am sure you will solve his problem . Moreover I don’t feel like answering every post

Moreover I don’t feel like answering every post

Isn’t that a form of intolerance too? To ignore them?

So If I copy-paste him links to TOS and forum helpful topics am I intolerant, tolerant, helpful, unhelpful or spoonfeeding?

Moreover I don’t feel like answering every post

Isn’t that a form of intolerance too? To ignore them?

So If I copy-paste him links to TOS and forum helpful topics am I intolerant, tolerant, helpful, unhelpful or spoonfeeding?

sn’t that a form of intolerance too

how would that be intolerance anyway? Ignoring something isn’t intolerance. Getting personal is though

sn’t that a form of intolerance too

how would that be intolerance anyway? Ignoring something isn’t intolerance. Getting personal is though

Getting personal is though

The only thing I got personal about was seeing that you’ve been here for just three months, and that’s just because it was apparent that you don’t realize forcing buyers to leave reviews is a bad idea for a couple of reasons.

This entire thread is not something that belongs on the forum in my opinion as it’s someone whining about being disagreed with in a different thread.

This link should be posted as the answer for every damn posts out there.

This post might offend and upset some people. The truth is, I don’t care. To cut straight to the point, you are going to fail on Fiverr (and as freelancer overall) if you ever need to ask or think about asking any of the below questions: Can I have more than one Fiverr account?I’m a new seller, what should I sell?How do I market my gig?How can I get sales?Do I need to buy a license to sell (enter service details here)?How do I do (enter service details here)?Can I ask buyers for reviews…

Haha, it’s a great post for sure, but “for every damn posts out there” seems a bit very … damning. 😉

@hassannawaz0303 Here, a candidate for you to be polite with, please help the man: Gig creation and marketing

You know, Marina, you could flag the post, rather than linking to it if you object to it …

Here’s what you said - should have quoted you before:

" a candidate for you to be polite with, please help the man: Gig creation and marketing"

Because its more than just having a different opinion

Because its more than just having a different opinion

It seems to be about you feeling attacked. You had an unworkable idea, had it explained why it wouldn’t work, had me mention you’ve been here for only three months so that’s why you didn’t understand some things, and now here you are today playing the victim.

And you deliberately misrepresented what I said to try to make it seem like I attacked you.

You know, Marina, you could flag the post, rather than linking to it if you object to it …

Here’s what you said - should have quoted you before:

" a candidate for you to be polite with, please help the man: Gig creation and marketing"

And that’s part of what makes these forums so annoying comparing with, say, reddit. Stop flagging posts you don’t agree with. Debate them.

And “yelling” at someone to read the darn TOS will make the next member think about posting the same question again

Doesn’t make any difference, people keep saying use SEARCH button but they dont that what make them post a new topic…So post where we are yelling would not be read by them at all because they are busying posting new topic

But rather yelling make that OP feel bad !

Answer can be more simple like Please read TOS or read particular post…and not telling them this ?

Don’t worry delete your gig and the gig impressions will show"

I actually remember posting a stupid question years ago and receiving a somehwat harsh response which really wasn’t that harsh in retrospect but my sensitive little heart took it personal and so I made it my personal goal not to ask stupid questions anymore. So “being yelled at” did help me learn more things and read more about how things work.

Maybe some kind of function would be useful that automatically directs you to related posts that have been responded to in the past when it comes to frequently asked questions.

Like when I am about to write a post titled “why i no get orders” it could show me the most recent or most relevant threads.

I actually remember posting a stupid question years ago and receiving a somehwat harsh response which really wasn’t that harsh in retrospect but my sensitive little heart took it personal and so I made it my personal goal not to ask stupid questions anymore. So “being yelled at” did help me learn more things and read more about how things work.

Maybe some kind of function would be useful that automatically directs you to related posts that have been responded to in the past when it comes to frequently asked questions.

Like when I am about to write a post titled “why i no get orders” it could show me the most recent or most relevant threads.

We can’t expect everyone to be same…you did but not all does, and if few newbie have done, we dont know that !

But insulting, yelling wont help either…I agree that few sarcastic answers makes community playful though!

And that’s part of what makes these forums so annoying comparing with, say, reddit. Stop flagging posts you don’t agree with. Debate them.

You don’t flag posts here either just for not agreeing with them, at least I don’t, and such a flag will lead to nothing. I usually only flag posts that are clearly spam, or when people really get insulting like calling names and stuff in a way that really shouldn’t happen on a forum and is against the forum rules, and also, thankfully, is rare.

If someone flags and the mods don’t agree that there was a reason to flag, they’ll deflect the flag.

Actually, when new posts are started, the forum already makes suggestions along those lines. Mostly they’re ignored …

some kind of function would be useful that automatically directs you to related posts that have been responded to in the past when it comes to frequently asked questions.

Actually, when new posts are started, the forum already makes suggestions along those lines. Mostly they’re ignored …

some kind of function would be useful that automatically directs you to related posts that have been responded to in the past when it comes to frequently asked questions.

That’s true, there are suggested topics but I was more talking about a gentle yet forceful “redirection” when you’re trying to create a topic like that, a new site popping up for example. Or how they did it with the tickets where you have to select a very specific issue and they basically force you to read the FAQ to that issue and underneath saying “didn’t find what you were looking for? Proceed with your thread”, that would already make a lot of people stop posting the thread they were about to start I think.

Just a suggestion though, I don’t know how or if something like that could be implemented.

Any method of circumventing that would be taken. Immediately.

What I would prefer to see is a requirement that new users read for at least 2 hours beofre posting. Reading Forum Rules should be a part of that requirement.

If people really want to learn, rather than “be active on the forum” …

Any method of circumventing that would be taken. Immediately.

What I would prefer to see is a requirement that new users read for at least 2 hours beofre posting. Reading Forum Rules should be a part of that requirement.

If people really want to learn, rather than “be active on the forum” …

But then people could probably just keep the TOS (or the other requirements, such as forum rules) open for two hours while taking a nap 😃

How about a test like the Fiverr skill tests but specifically for the forum and writing tickets where situational questions are being asked regarding the TOS and they have to pass that test in order to be able to publish gigs, submit tickets and write in the forum. If they don’t pass then they just can’t! 😃

Archived