No protection for seller from cheater buyers?

cescamarrucci

3 issues like that out of 450 orders? I wish I had your problems…

First issue - a difficult buyer who didnt know what they were doing. Once someone starts being as unreasonable as that, just send them a “go away” (in nice words) message and after that, then block them.

The second one was your fault. You delivered before the review was published so how could you expect the buyer to be happy? (I presume this was back when review gigs were allowed?). As you said, the review was published 10 days later - that’s when you should have delivered the order, when it was actually done. Amazon delaying its publication is nothing to do with the buyer - you need to manage those things if you rely on a third party.

The third one. This kind of complaint from some buyers is a pretty standard thing. If you are sure the work is good then you need to explain and prove your position to the buyer. Running to CS every time you get an issue like that is a waste of your and their time.

CS are there to look after their buyers and sellers - they are not there to be YOUR customer service rep to your clients - you need to do that yourself. If you cannot deal with such basic customer follow-up issues then perhaps you should consider only working for agencies - the type that can take on all these issues for you and charge you 50-70% for the privilege.

CS can’t tell or decide whether your translation is done well or not - they would need specific staff to cover every single category, language etc. Instead, they state that quality of the deliverable is not a valid reason for cancellation - This empowers you to deal with the client yourself which is what you must do.

Many buyers of translation services do try different methods to test the quality of the translation as they don’t understand the language themselves. Instead of being reactive in your way of dealing with this, why not be proactive instead? When you translate, do you include “translator’s notes” to explain your choice of certain words or phrases? Every text can be translated slightly differently so point out why you chose to say “The tall man sat down” instead of “The tall man took his seat” by adding a comment to the text.

This approach will help to convince a lot of buyers that you actually did the work properly. It won’t help in all situations of course but in those situations just suck it up. As I said in the beginning, 3 issues, one of which was clearly your fault, in 3 years is pretty much the Nirvana of freelancing careers - count yourself lucky!

Hi eoinfinnegan, you’re right. All the things you wrote are the same I usually do. This time it wasn’t possible, as the buyer didn’t show any evidence my job was effectively bad. Actually, he didn’ answer anymore. I asked twice the other translator’s notes and to show these bad mistakes and so on, but the first time the answer was ‘maybe tomorrow’, then nothing else.

I’ve learned in these years on Fiverr how to manage the orders not to have late warnings (the second year I had a lot as I got many health problems), how to explain to people that Google Translator can’t be a way to check if a translation is correct or not and how to avoid strange requests, but I thought that this could be an interesting topic to many sellers and I thought that if other similar websites have found a way to protect their sellers, even an important reality as Fiverr can do it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi eoinfinnegan, you’re right. All the things you wrote are the same I usually do. This time it wasn’t possible, as the buyer didn’t show any evidence my job was effectively bad. Actually, he didn’ answer anymore. I asked twice the other translator’s notes and to show these bad mistakes and so on, but the first time the answer was ‘maybe tomorrow’, then nothing else.

I’ve learned in these years on Fiverr how to manage the orders not to have late warnings (the second year I had a lot as I got many health problems), how to explain to people that Google Translator can’t be a way to check if a translation is correct or not and how to avoid strange requests, but I thought that this could be an interesting topic to many sellers and I thought that if other similar websites have found a way to protect their sellers, even an important reality as Fiverr can do it.

This time it wasn’t possible, as the buyer didn’t show any evidence my job was effectively bad.

My suggestion would be to use Translator’s Notes from the beginning - when you deliver it first. Just add a quick comment as you are translating and it takes no time at all. Can also be a good reference point for you when doing a longer translation.

I didn’t expect that so many sellers had so many bad issues to consider 3 bad reviews nothing to worry about.

I presume you have never worked in retail - there it seems like there are 11 issues for every 10 customers… 🙂

this topic can be really useful. I hope so.

These discussions are always useful, it can clear up a lot of things both for those taking part and those just reading. Many newer sellers struggle with difficult buyers when they get their first one so knowing that they can actually deal with it themselves through careful customer management/service is really very helpful!

Google Translator can’t be a way to check if a translation is correct

Buyers ask translators to not use Google translator but buyers use Google translator to check if the translation is correct! And they think that they can correct native speakers with google translator!

Good luck with those buyers! I have had the same…

Fiverr is not here to protect you, so protect yourself !

Always ask your buyers to explain exactly what is wrong (which word, which sentence…).

You don’t have to prove that you did a good translation. They have to prove that your translation is not correct.

Dear cescamarrucci
Fiverr market place have some cheater clients such as clients have many online market place, right. Please you will check sincerely check buyer response, if you feel the buyer is cheat than you will avoid the buyer.
From my experience, the bad buyer gives two types of offers.
first. The project need first.
Second . They offer more money, money is no problem.
Please avoid those buyer. thanks

I had a situation where buyer complains that the delivered files are virus infected. And he asked for a refund. 😀 Till this moment I never receive such a complain from any buyer except this one. All he wanted was to get the job done freely. I contacted CS and no help. So I had to gave him a refund. Otherwise I will receive a negative feedback.
There are buyers who know the system well (most probably the old buyers ). They know how important the rating is. As the buyers can see seller reviews, I think it is better if the sellers also can see buyer side. So the seller can get an idea before starting the job.

I had a situation where buyer complains that the delivered files are virus infected. And he asked for a refund. 😀 Till this moment I never receive such a complain from any buyer except this one. All he wanted was to get the job done freely. I contacted CS and no help. So I had to gave him a refund. Otherwise I will receive a negative feedback.

There are buyers who know the system well (most probably the old buyers ). They know how important the rating is. As the buyers can see seller reviews, I think it is better if the sellers also can see buyer side. So the seller can get an idea before starting the job.

I contacted CS and no help. So I had to gave him a refund. Otherwise I will receive a negative feedback.

You have over 2000 reviews and you are afraid of getting a negative review? Why not just say no and if you get a negative feedback it is not a big deal - you are not a new seller!

There are buyers who know the system well

You are partly responsible for creating this “system” - if you give refunds for no good reason then you encourage this behavior.

I contacted CS and no help. So I had to gave him a refund. Otherwise I will receive a negative feedback.

You have over 2000 reviews and you are afraid of getting a negative review? Why not just say no and if you get a negative feedback it is not a big deal - you are not a new seller!

There are buyers who know the system well

You are partly responsible for creating this “system” - if you give refunds for no good reason then you encourage this behavior.

Why should I get a negative feedback if there is nothing wrong from my end? And if this type of situation happens 5-6 times, what will happens to my overall rating? And when this happened I completed only around 900 orders.

What am I supposed to do when buyer asked for a refund? I explained everything to buyer and also to the customer support. I even sent the files I delivered to CS to check. What I learned from CS is, that I can not say “No” when a buyer ask for a refund. I always try to deliver the final files after buyer approve the design. In this case also I did the same. So he can not say that the design is not good. Because he already approved it and asked me to deliver it.

Why should I get a negative feedback if there is nothing wrong from my end? And if this type of situation happens 5-6 times, what will happens to my overall rating? And when this happened I completed only around 900 orders.

What am I supposed to do when buyer asked for a refund? I explained everything to buyer and also to the customer support. I even sent the files I delivered to CS to check. What I learned from CS is, that I can not say “No” when a buyer ask for a refund. I always try to deliver the final files after buyer approve the design. In this case also I did the same. So he can not say that the design is not good. Because he already approved it and asked me to deliver it.

You said he said the files were virus infected. Couldn’t you ask him to show you a screenshot from the anti-virus program that is showing that one or more of the delivered files has a virus for proof (or from an online antivirus checker)?

What am I supposed to do when buyer asked for a refund? I explained everything to buyer and also to the customer support. I even sent the files I delivered to CS to check.

You say no. It is nothing to do with CS when your buyer rejects a delivery. It is up to you to deal with them.

I can not say “No” when a buyer ask for a refund

Are you serious??? I would suggest that you don’t say this type of thing publicly. I never allow a refund after delivery. When I work, I get paid for it. If I have done something wrong, I fix it. If the buyer is not happy then I find out why but if they are wrong/unreasonable then I just stick to saying no.

You said he said the files were virus infected. Couldn’t you ask him to show you a screenshot from the anti-virus program that is showing that one or more of the delivered files has a virus for proof (or from an online antivirus checker)?

I asked for it. But no reply. He just sent me a cancellation request.

What am I supposed to do when buyer asked for a refund? I explained everything to buyer and also to the customer support. I even sent the files I delivered to CS to check.

You say no. It is nothing to do with CS when your buyer rejects a delivery. It is up to you to deal with them.

I can not say “No” when a buyer ask for a refund

Are you serious??? I would suggest that you don’t say this type of thing publicly. I never allow a refund after delivery. When I work, I get paid for it. If I have done something wrong, I fix it. If the buyer is not happy then I find out why but if they are wrong/unreasonable then I just stick to saying no.

Happy to hear that. But I’m not a person who like to argue. Specially in a system like this. I’m really afraid to do so.

If the files are virus free (ie. you checked them) you can deny the cancellation request saying the files have been checked and are virus free (according to this program).

I was afraid to cancel the cancellation request. I also new and done around 900 orders on that time. So the rating is so important to me to receive orders.

I was afraid to cancel the cancellation request. I also new and done around 900 orders on that time. So the rating is so important to me to receive orders.

I also new and done around 900 orders on that time.

After 900 orders, you’re a veteran seller, not a new one.

But I’m not a person who like to argue. Specially in a system like this. I’m really afraid to do so.

So… Whoever reads this (and this is a public forum, people don’t even need an account to be able to read it) can freely abuse you, and you will just let them?

Why would you do that to yourself?

I also new and done around 900 orders on that time.

After 900 orders, you’re a veteran seller, not a new one.

But I’m not a person who like to argue. Specially in a system like this. I’m really afraid to do so.

So… Whoever reads this (and this is a public forum, people don’t even need an account to be able to read it) can freely abuse you, and you will just let them?

Why would you do that to yourself?

Never thought of that. 😮 Just explained my experience.

Now I’m not going to give the $ back after delivering. 😀

Credit will goes to those who replied to me. 😉 Thank you!

There are buyers who know the system well (most probably the old buyers ). They know how important the rating is.

I know 5r policies extremely well. I have never demanded a refund. Writing things like this only encourages those types if buyers who get their ideas from forums like this.

Only refunds I’ve gotten here were “failure to deliver.”

Why should I get a negative feedback if there is nothing wrong from my end?

Why should he have your good job for free if other buyers pay your good job ?

Anyway, I didn’t expect that so many sellers had so many bad issues to consider 3 bad reviews nothing to worry about. Maybe, this topic can be really useful. I hope so.

Maybe, this topic can be really useful. I hope so.

Never thought of that. 😮 Just explained my experience.

Now I’m not going to give the $ back after delivering. 😀

Credit will goes to those who replied to me. 😉 Thank you!

Seems like the topic did help someone!

but after the fourth time the Fiverr CS intervened and decided the buyer was right. So, in my experience, refusing cancellations doesn’t work.

That doesn’t prove that refusing cancellations doesn’t work, it just means that on one occasion, rightly or wrongly, CS decided to agree with the buyer.

I’m on Fiverr since 2014 and I’m a Level 2 Seller. I’ve always worked well with this site and even if I had some problems, I’ve delivered more than 450 orders and my rate is 4.9. That missing 0.1 is the reason why I’m writing.

I had 3 horrible situations with buyers in these years and I can’t say I got any help from Fiverr.

The first time, a woman who wrote a little ebook wanted me to create a cover and a layout. Everything fantastic and a fantastic review, 5 stars.

After more than a month the buyer asked me another cover and layout to publish the same book in hardcover, and there started the disgrace. She wanted impossible things and asked me to change the job more than 10 times (13 if I’m not wrong!). A month after closing the order, she said the printer didn’t print well the book (I had warned her that the changes she wanted were absurd!) so she gave me a 1 star review. And to top it all, she started writing me 6-7 times a day asking me to do all the job again for free, and insulting me. I had to block her, but the Customer Service (always updated about the situation) didn’t say anything.

The second time was even worse, a real mock! A woman asked me to buy her book and to review it. I bought the book (very expensive) and posted the review, sending her the screenshots. I don’t know why, but Amazon didn’t publish immediately the review. Anyway, I closed the order. The day after, she rejected the order saying I didn’t post the review. I explained her that Amazon could publish reviews after a while, she just had to wait, but she wanted her money back.

I asked to the CS to intervene, but they stated that she was right, so I lost the book and the job money. After 10 days, finally, Amazon published the review, but it was too late. I sent it to the CS to let they know they didn’t trust me, and so I had worked for free, and I had to buy an expensive book I wasn’t interested in. They answered me they have to safeguard both buyers and sellers. What a pity that for the second time they chose the buyer!

The third time was yesterday. I received an extra fast request for a short translation, really simple. The buyer accepted to pay more to receive it within one hour. I delivered my job and closed the order. After 5 hours, tonight, he rejected the order saying, I quote: ‘You are a fake Italian, you translated with Google Translator. There are a lot of bad mistakes and the translated text doesn’t make sense in Italian’!

Well, as I’m a journalist, a teacher, and a professional translator, since 16 years, this is a ridiculous and insulting excuse! He rejected the job without asking any change just writing he had to pay another translator.

I answered that I couldn’t accept that excuse and that, anyway, he had to show me the other translator’s notes about my job. I explained he could have contacted me if there had been something wrong with the translation, as I had been online all time, but he refused to send me the notes, stating ‘maybe tomorrow’. Of course, the order will expire in few hours!

I contacted the CS and explained everything, asking for an internal evaluation of my job, as I’m sure this is a buyer’s excuse not to pay. They always answer they can’t do anything, that I should try to persuade him to accept the order, and things like this, totally useless. As I understood how this order will end, I expect a bad review from the buyer and I asked them not to consider it, at least to have respect of my job.

After this, I claimed there is no guarantee or protection for sellers from this kind of buyers, clearly cheaters.

On other platforms dedicated to translators (as ProZ for instance) there is a sort of safeguard from these kind of people.

Usually, when a buyer asks an extra fast translation and doesn’t mind the price, he will probably find some excuse not to pay. That’s one of the first warnings ProZ experts give to translators.

I know we must trust the buyers in Fiverr, and I’m doing it, but does Fiverr trust me as a seller as well?

When, on ProZ, something like this happened to me, 5 years ago, they sent a warning to the buyer, too, and then they banned him from their lists.

Here, there is nothing like this.

I think we (sellers) should ask a greater safeguard for us, even because all conversations/files are available to be checked and there must be someone who can check the job value, otherwise everyone could order a job, get it, and be sure he could find any ridiculous excuse not to pay it!

I think we (sellers) should ask a greater safeguard for us, even because all conversations/files are available to be checked and there must be someone who can check the job value, otherwise everyone could order a job, get it, and be sure he could find any ridiculous excuse not to pay it!

Sure Fiverr does not have a strict control of the buyers, ou contraire they apply punishment to the seller, for example none support to resolve a dispute, or the recent demoted St Level´s day.

I am work also with other platform, (I avoid to mention it, because someone can flag this comment) and there the buyer have to accept the contract agreement, no matter what, also they are very strict with the seller. Support and Forum people, can lead you to resolve the dispute, and may take 1 to 3 weeks, but meawhile they check every conversation in the chat box and the files or done by the seller…

I do not know make a suggestion to fiverr to be efective to resolve disputes, and also make mandatory to the buyers to learn how to buy a gig, how to do a request and what rules will be appplied to them when they try to be “smart guy” in our work.

Martin

Dear cescamarrucci

Fiverr market place have some cheater clients such as clients have many online market place, right. Please you will check sincerely check buyer response, if you feel the buyer is cheat than you will avoid the buyer.

From my experience, the bad buyer gives two types of offers.

first. The project need first.

Second . They offer more money, money is no problem.

Please avoid those buyer. thanks

Fully agree with you. Also there are some clients from the get-go you can tell will be a problem. from the messages they write, their demands, somebody who says I want it now and go to x site and get back to me for free.

Say no to them. Imagine if you were a freelancer out in the world, you safeguard yourself, there’s no customer support, you’re totally self-reliant. It might be years till Fiverr makes any changes to an already profitable business.

Also read Rework by Jason Fried, where he says entrepreneurs shouldn’t feel the need to please everyone. PS: I have no affiliation there. 😀

Fully agree with you. Also there are some clients from the get-go you can tell will be a problem. from the messages they write, their demands, somebody who says I want it now and go to x site and get back to me for free.

Say no to them. Imagine if you were a freelancer out in the world, you safeguard yourself, there’s no customer support, you’re totally self-reliant. It might be years till Fiverr makes any changes to an already profitable business.

Also read Rework by Jason Fried, where he says entrepreneurs shouldn’t feel the need to please everyone. PS: I have no affiliation there. 😀

Thank you very much for nice communication.

Then I wish you good luck.

Ok.

I have seen this kind of behaviour many times before, and it never ends well. Some day, too many users may decide to try their luck elsewhere. Basically, you are saying “here is the door, don’t let it hit you”.

Fiverr already does this.

Great! I didn’t know this. Can we try to find new suggestions then, instead of showing ourselves the door?

edit: What is the real rate then, anybody knows? I am curious. How many orders need to get cancelled before you are banned?

edit: What is the real rate then, anybody knows? I am curious. How many orders need to get cancelled before you are banned?

The last thing we need is them publishing their back-end requirements like this so people can game the system. Say it is 70% then they’ll purchase 6 $5 gigs and cancel out on 14 $1400 gigs. 😦

Archived