I chose you because you are a person of color

esthernyambura

That seems weird and creepy to me (I could pass as a poster girl for paleness, btw). I mean, I’d rather be chosen because the guy/girl thought I was awesome at my skill, not because I was a beautiful shade of whatever.

STOP, WEIRDOS.

The worst thing is these creeps are either desperately trying to get browner (tanning) or lighter (creams?). Be happy in your own skin folks.

girl, I am the woman who lives among the bronzed leather bags. “Emma,” they drawl. “Why won’t you come to the beach and burn yourself to a crisp?”

“Because you look like a Hermes special edition. I’ll hide in a bush and capture your hide before your last breath has even expired!” I’ll exclaim to their disbelieving laughter.

<creepy smile> I have no interest myself, of course.

@esthernyambura, nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they wanted a certain perspective. In my earlier days on Fiverr, I got many orders (and still do) because clients wanted an Indian perspective. In fact, in my earlier days, my “India” gig was very active. Now it has disappeared. If I can make a suggestion, why not start a gig, “I will write an original article on Africa”…just like my “India” gig…check it out. There are a number of people who will want to have a unique African perspective…take advantage of that.

Since I’m Asian, allow me to hop in the conversation…
I’ve had a similar talk with my coworkers ( and 95% are from around the world), I never
understood why do people say "person of color?"
I mean, don’t we ALL have some kind of color on our skin?? Even if I was albino and my skin
was as white as the driven snow, white is still a color. Strange.

BTW according to my dark-skinned coworker, he said he never understood why
white people are called white. He said “They are more like pink.”
…Pink…that sounds…cute? I have to say though, a lot of Caucasian people are leaning towards the pink side rather than white. (NOT trying to be a racist or rude here, I thought
he had a good point!)

I’ve received a lot of gigs in the past because I am Japanese, and in many cases they made sense. I’ve never had anybody order my gig because of my skin tone though…well, so far, none.

esthernyambura, I’m glad that you have a positive attitude though! 😃

Archived