My experience with Vacation mode (and sales afterward)

jamesbulls

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I created a post a few months back about this same topic, as any sort of research into the vacation mode system will uncover a lot of folks who saw the status of their gigs negatively affected when using it. I had to leave town for about two weeks, and put my gigs on vacation. When I got home and re-activated them, the orders were slow-go for almost a month, and my rankings were fairly low. After about a month everything got right back to normal.

I’ve since taken the recommendation of another seller who suggested not using vacation mode or pausing a gig, but extending the delivery times. I’ll post a message on my gigs informing clients when I’m leaving, when I’m returning, and that orders have to be placed by a certain date for guaranteed delivery before I leave. This seems to work well in small instances, but I haven’t tried it for a longer hiatus yet.

On a side note, does anybody else wish Fiverr allowed a Day Off feature? Something where we as sellers could specify a certain day, or days, during the week that we are unavailable, and it wouldn’t affect our delivery time.

I experienced the same as many of you. Even though I’m still quite fresh here, I had to go on VM for four days in the end of July. Back then, I was a level one seller, but the week before the VM I got several orders via my gig pages, before this I mostly found my buyers through ‘Buyer’s Request’. After deactivating VM there were no new orders via my gig pages for three weeks. About two weeks ago it began to come back slowly and now it’s steadily rising.

I will follow the hint with the delivery time next time. The good thing is that I rarely need it.

Great to know, jamesbulls! Thanks for sharing your experience. From the comments by others, it sounds like some are affected when they go on vacation. I’m wondering if the type of service offered by sellers could be a factor in how much users are impacted by vacation mode.

• 5 months later...

If different sellers using vacation mode are getting very different results, then I think it must come down to how much traffic the seller has that originates from outside of Fiverr. I’m very busy with my social media marketing and I know that it makes a big difference because when I slack off on my self-promotion, my sales fall pretty quickly. I still use vacation mode on a regular basis, and all I can say is that if my seller ranking by relevance and average customer review are indicators, then it’s not hurting me at all.

When I search for my primary keyword, I’m ranked #3 by relevance:

9e76aa1aff.thumb.png.47eb6c6a17518d0544b1bc5d19cc3946.png

And when I search for my primary keyword, I’m ranked #1 by average customer review:

9e764574b9.thumb.png.907275a7ef64cbcf244995b9cc1e9e37.png

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. I have quite a few links outside of Fvierr pointing to my gig. I’d be interested on your social media marketing. Maybe you are doing something different than some of us.

I keep a blog which usually gets a weekly update; I curate a relevant collection on Google+ which I update usually multiple times per day; I participate in blog-hops and other cross-marketing efforts with other professionals in my field; and I do a live-streamed show on YouTube almost every week. There are some communities on Facebook where I participate in conversation, but I don’t actually do any marketing there, and in terms of ads, I’m not paying for any ads on any platform. I also steer my buyers on Fiverr toward my blog in every order so they can follow me and stay up to date with what I’m doing. I get new clients every week, but by volume probably 70% of my sales are from repeat clients.

• 2 months later...

shounak10 and all,

I couldn’t agree more with your experience. When you ask CS about the algorithm used for rankings and vacation mode impact they reply with a vacation policy link and say have a nice day. I wish I could get away with non-answers to my Buyers.

My thought is a simple one. Push out your delivery date. “Jamesbull” has it right when he states to put a notification on. So clear your Order queue and put a notification on stating that you’re Business Travel and will be reply as soon as possible. I had the same experience as you which has led me to this approach. To state that Fiverr goes with you wherever you go is disingenuous to those Sellers who can’t bring their Fiverr Gig with them.

Amendment to my post. I’m on vacation mode. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Fiverr was only kidding. They didn’t actually mean that you can take a vacation. What they mean is that they’ll suspend your gigs and NEW messages from incoming. However, (Friends, please learn from my lesson), there are a few things not mentioned. Let’s say a previous Buyer does contact you and you reply upon your return, one week later. Guess what? Fiverr recorded those stats and now shows your response time is 7 days. Ok, let’s say you have an incomplete order hanging out there. And they decide to complete the order. When you get back, it’s already late and now the Buyer is furious. Ok, we’ll let those inconvenient facts slide. The best part is, those stats you’ve worked hard for are now shot to pieces because your response time stinks, you’re late on Orders pending and you’ve just dropped in rankings as a result.

Welcome back!

• 9 months later...
Guest offlinehelpers
  1. yes it will affect your standing
  2. not sure about this
  3. message them
  4. only repeated clients can message you

5.not sure

hope this helps 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Before I use this and royally piss-off my customers, can someone explain to me what exactly this entails.

Will customers with active orders be messaged that I’m going on vacation?
Will it tell them their delivery time has changed?
Will customers still be able to make purchases while I’m in vacation mode?
Will an automatic response be sent to anyone who messages me?

Is there anything else pertinent I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

The answer to all your questions is, "No."

You need to take care of business before you go on vacation mode.

There is an option where customers can get a notice when you return.

I am not sure if you continue to get messages.

Thanks. I figured as much. Fiverr isn’t exactly on the ball with these things. I am glad the customers can’t continue to make purchases though. I half expected that one to be a yes.

• 2 months later...
Guest anh_ksnlk

Hi guys,

Just want to tell all of you guys how stupid I was when not using vacation mode.
I have a gig about drawing doodle, and it did doing well 2 months ago. Then I got sick and had to go to a hospital, after this, I couldn’t work on Fiverr for a while. And how careless of me, I didn’t turn on “Vacation mode”.
And guess what, there were some buyers who didn’t contact me before placing orders. (So they didn’t know I couldn’t take jobs this time). Now I’m having tons of 1* rating because they canceled their orders.

So if I did turn on Vacation mode, there wouldn’t have these orders.

So, my lesson is “TURN ON VACATION MODE IF YOU CAN’T ONLINE AND WORK FOR A WHILE”!!!
I don’t know if I should create a new gig or still using my old one. Haizzz, can anybody give me some advices?

Guest offlinehelpers

Hi there!

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, and hope you’re feeling much better now! ☀️

Such a shame because you’ve had fabulous reviews.

You only had the cancelled feedbacks on one gig, so why not put a note on there and on your profile description to explain things were out of your control for a while, but it’s all back to normal now?

Good luck! 🙂

Guest anh_ksnlk

Also, if you are still able to respond to the 1:star: reviews, you may be able to explain what happened. 😉

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your advice but I couldn’t do anything because these orders were canceled. It seems like we just can contact Resolution center when an order still active.

Guest anh_ksnlk

Hi there!

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, and hope you’re feeling much better now! ☀️

Such a shame because you’ve had fabulous reviews.

You only had the cancelled feedbacks on one gig, so why not put a note on there and on your profile description to explain things were out of your control for a while, but it’s all back to normal now?

Good luck! 🙂

Thanks for your advice, I changed my “quote” (the line right behind your username on profile page), hope it’ll help a little bit.

I’m still confused about changing gig’s description. I want this field just focus on my service.

Guest anh_ksnlk

I think, u have to create new gig, cause u say 1 ★ rating

But if I create new gig, my gallery will be empty. My old gig has so much good reviews from my old customers.

Archived