Unbelievable! I made my own gig video with AI, wrote the script myself, and now someone's claiming copyright. How can they get away with this?

Posted (edited)

I described my work idea to an AI writing assistant called Gemini. Then, I used that script to create a gig video for myself on Steve.ai. However, someone stole my video, used it in their own gig, and falsely claimed I stole parts from theirs!

I sent Fiverr support all the documentation proving I created the video, including the script. Unfortunately, their response didn't address the evidence I provided.

This is incredibly frustrating! While I may not be a video editing expert, it's unfair that someone can claim my original work as their own. Is this why some freelancers avoid offering gig videos without including their face?

I've explained this issue to support countless times, but all I get are robotic replies, even from agents with names! It's like talking to a wall!

Edited by himel421
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

My apologies, I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of this post!! <consequences of using generative AI>😂

Jokes apart, while your frustration is understandable and you must have given prompts and even ideas to AI - work generated on AI isn't really original and can't even be copyrighted either, in a broader sense. Every prompt we enter and every piece of information we provide -  all of them serve as a bunch of data points for the generative AI and they are actually free to share the same ideas with others too!! 

But what's unclear is whether another seller stole your gig video after the upload or someone stole the actual file from you/your machine?? 

• Like 9
  • Up 3

10 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

My apologies, I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of this post!! <consequences of using generative AI>😂

Jokes apart, while your frustration is understandable and you must have given prompts and even ideas to AI - work generated on AI isn't really original and can't even be copyrighted either, in a broader sense. Every prompt we enter and every piece of information we provide -  all of them serve as a bunch of data points for the generative AI and they are actually free to share the same ideas with others too!! 

But what's unclear is whether another seller stole your gig video after the upload or someone stole the actual file from you/your machine?? 

Fiverr already permits sellers to use AI in their work. As someone without any video-making or editing skills, where should we turn? I know the usual advice is to hire someone on Fiverr, but with AI being allowed, it’s tricky. Prompts can end up being similar, but Fiverr should really overlook these minor similarities. Honestly, I have no idea who reported me. It’s funny—I looked through my entire gig category and still can’t figure out which part is supposedly similar. lol

• Like 5

1 minute ago, himel421 said:

Fiverr already permits sellers to use AI in their work. As someone without any video-making or editing skills, where should we turn? 

To a professional? Like we all had to do back in the "old days"? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, himel421 said:

Fiverr already permits sellers to use AI in their work. As someone without any video-making or editing skills, where should we turn?

If you generate a video again (but not the same one) using a similar method as you did above for your gig info video you could overlay your Fiver username on it or profile pic/logo before uploading it to your gig. That way it would be a lot harder for the other seller to use in their gig video (eg. without them cropping it a lot). That's if you have the ability to overlay that. Maybe the AI video creation website might let you do that.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, uk1000 said:

If you generate a video again (but not the same one) using a similar method as you did above for your gig info video you could overlay your Fiver username on it or profile pic/logo before uploading it to your gig. That way it would be a lot harder for the other seller to use in their gig video (eg. without them cropping it a lot). That's if you have the ability to overlay that. Maybe the AI video creation website might let you do that.

• My Fiverr username and a thumbnail of my gig image were featured in the video.
  • Like 3
  • Up 2

16 minutes ago, himel421 said:

My Fiverr username and a thumbnail of my gig image were featured in the video.

So if those are in the video of the seller who copied your gig it should be easier for Fiverr staff to know that it was copied from you. Maybe you've pointed that out to them. If you go to a gig when logged in there's also an option to report a gig there by clicking on the 3 dots at the top right (though if you've already reported it to CS which screenshots highlighting your username in their video then that should be enough (if it was reported on the gig page you wouldn't be able to attach things I think and I'm not sure if it should be reported there if you've already reported it to CS, but that way might go right to the trust & safety team - you could check with forum staff what's the best way).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, uk1000 said:

So if those are in the video of the seller who copied your gig it should be easier for Fiverr staff to know that it was copied from you. Maybe you've pointed that out to them. If you go to a gig when logged in there's also an option to report a gig there by clicking on the 3 dots at the top right (though if you've already reported it to CS which screenshots highlighting your username in their video then that should be enough (if it was reported on the gig page you wouldn't be able to attach things I think and I'm not sure if it should be reported there if you've already reported it to CS, but that way might go right to the trust & safety team - you could check with forum staff what's the best way).

I know. Getting nowhere with support! I've told them repeatedly about a seller's gig, but their replies are robotic. And I searched that gig video everywhere. I can't find it

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, himel421 said:

And I searched that gig video everywhere. I can't find it

You're saying you can't find the gig video of the seller who claims you copied theirs?

Couldn't you ask the seller who accused you of copying their gig video to show you the link / for their proof? Have you looked at all the seller's gigs to check for the gig with the video that's the same as yours?

I thought you'd sent evidence to CS that as well as you creating it first that that seller had copied yours (so wouldn't that have included a screenshot showing their video and that it was the same as yours, with your username in it?)?

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

You're saying you can't find the gig video of the seller who claims you copied theirs?

Couldn't you ask the seller who accused you of copying their gig video to show you the link / for their proof? Have you looked at all the seller's gigs to check for the gig with the video that's the same as yours?

I thought you'd sent evidence to CS that as well as you creating it first that that seller had copied yours (so wouldn't that have included a screenshot showing their video and that it was the same as yours, with your username in it?)?

Yeah. I can't find the seller

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, himel421 said:

I can't find the seller

But you said they contacted you (accusing you of copying their video)? Did they contact you on Fiverr? Did they block you after contacting you? If so you can use a logged out browser and go to fiverr.com/their_user_name and it should show the seller there (if they've not had their account disabled). If they have a display name it should still show their username after "@" at the top of their Fiverr inbox conversation.

If you told Fiverr their username and it no longer displays that in a browser that's not logged in (fiverr.com/their_user_name) then maybe Fiverr have disabled their account if they agreed that they copied your gig video.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 11:19 PM, himel421 said:

it's unfair that someone can claim my original work as their own. Is this why some freelancers avoid offering gig videos without including their face?

image.png.c912607826cf27676e5e8dbac7376c2b.png

Although I don't agree with the part "without copying". Well, no one is original anyway

Edited by allstral
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 6:30 PM, uk1000 said:

But you said they contacted you (accusing you of copying their video)? Did they contact you on Fiverr? Did they block you after contacting you? If so you can use a logged out browser and go to fiverr.com/their_user_name and it should show the seller there (if they've not had their account disabled). If they have a display name it should still show their username after "@" at the top of their Fiverr inbox conversation.

If you told Fiverr their username and it no longer displays that in a browser that's not logged in (fiverr.com/their_user_name) then maybe Fiverr have disabled their account if they agreed that they copied your gig video.

No body contact me. No body messaged me and said , hey this video you took from my gig. It was probly a direct report 

21 minutes ago, himel421 said:

No body contact me. No body messaged me and said , hey this video you took from my gig. It was probly a direct report 

Can you give more info on what CS said then? Or did they/Fiverr just say "non original video/image"?

On 5/17/2024 at 12:44 PM, himel421 said:

I know. Getting nowhere with support! I've told them repeatedly about a seller's gig, but their replies are robotic. And I searched that gig video everywhere. I can't find it

What you could do to try to find if your video exists somewhere already (eg. in someone's gig video and if so, which) is to save a frame out of it (eg. the thumbnail/first frame) and search for that image on gig image search by image or Yandex image search by image, or bing image search using an image.

2 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Can you give more info on what CS said then? Or did they/Fiverr just say "non original video/image"?

What you could do to try to find if your video exists somewhere already (eg. in someone's gig video and if so, which) is to save a frame out of it (eg. the thumbnail/first frame) and search for that image on gig image search by image or Yandex image search by image, or bing image search using an image.

they didn't said it's non original. they just same thing over and over in the gig mangment under the gig info " video denied and Your Gig description, or parts of it, are copied from another Fiverr seller. This behavior is against our Community Standards. Please ensure that you write your next Gig description, using your own original content. If you continue to use a plagiarized description, your account may be disabled.

there was no more info.

and I tried to search with google image search and found nothing.

I made another gig without the video and I wrote the description my self. Now after 10 days I was almost cutting my losses. now i got copyright again.

My gig photos I took from freepic wesite for no copyright issue. Now i know somone is trying to bring down my fiverr work. And good thing about that is they got fiverrs back :)

Never had a angry clients in this short but 6 months of fiverr carrier. I've no idea who is doing this. And how fiverr is supporting them

Edited by himel421

2 hours ago, uk1000 said:

After all this I can't even puplish a gig now. Now I know that somone is there who can make sure that my gig is down. and fiverrr support got there backs