I'm convinced the algorithm is nuts.

newsmike

For the last 5 days I sat on page 1, top row of my vertical, with no orders, which is not unusual as Christmas week is notoriously slow. Today I get a nice order and deliver it within 3 hours, get a 5 star review and a helluva nice tip.  Within 30 minutes, I am now on page 5.  

Algorithm must have been written by a $5 "expart" seller.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 16
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, newsmike said:

For the last 5 days I sat on page 1, top row of my vertical, with no orders, which is not unusual as Christmas week is notoriously slow. Today I get a nice order and deliver it within 3 hours, get a 5 star review and a helluva nice tip.  Within 30 minutes, I am now on page 5.  

Algorithm must have been written by a $5 "expart" seller.

And that seller was from beautiful people country who at the same write posts "how to rank" and after that write another post "please help me gig rank guays"

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

For nearly two months, I held the 'Fiverr Choice' badge on my gig. Throughout that time:

1. I was away on a two-week long vacation, fully unavailable due to my wedding:- Fiverr didn't have any issue.
2. My conversion rate was about 2% due to being very choosy:- Fiverr didn't have any issue.
3. For a long time, my conversion rate was 0% (straight line visible in the graph):- Fiverr didn't have any issue.
4. Received a 4.3 star and a 4 star rating (due to the recent crappy Fiverr update):- Fiverr didn't have any issue.

But but but, in the past 10 days, as I began receiving orders and became serious towards the account and lifted my conversion rate from 2% to 9%, Fiverr surprisingly removed my 'Fiverr Choice' badge day before yesterday. Quite amusing, to be honest!

image.png.e2f034998680a782400331edd4c92105.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

I'm sure an online marketplace such as Fiverr would be serving dynamic search results based on many variables. 

For an example: so many others must've gotten a "helluva" nice tip with a 5-star review at the same time you did. 

I thought a non "$5 "expart" seller" would know that.

"For the last 5 days I sat on page 1, top row of my vertical,"

Pro tip: Search your gig in an incognito window, or mobile app multiple times, and you'll be surprised.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, teramangala said:

No, the algorithm is written for the benefit of Fiverr and not the sellers. In my opinion, this is voluntary, Fiverr prefers to give a little to everyone rather than favoring some too much. Fiverr does not guarantee any page rankings. It happens to everyone, it's nice.

Then what is the purpose of labeling the page as "Best Selling?"  Perhaps they should rename as "Random, it's nice"?   I'm old fashioned, I think that words have meanings.  For example, "Best selling" might mean thing that are "selling best"  

image.png.4e3a0441d21974bcaf7255408260ac09.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2

36 minutes ago, creative_howl said:

I'm sure an online marketplace such as Fiverr would be serving dynamic search results based on many variables. 

For an example: so many others must've gotten a "helluva" nice tip with a 5-star review at the same time you did. 

I thought a non "$5 "expart" seller" would know that.

Pro tip: Search your gig in an incognito window, or mobile app multiple times, and you'll be surprised.

It has returned to top position, but thanks for misunderstanding. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, teramangala said:

No, the algorithm is written for the benefit of Fiverr and not the sellers. In my opinion, this is voluntary, Fiverr prefers to give a little to everyone rather than favoring some too much. Fiverr does not guarantee any page rankings. It happens to everyone, it's nice.

Not really, I saw sellers with 100+ orders in queue and their prices start from 100-150$ 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Alex.M said:

Not really, I saw sellers with 100+ orders in queue and their prices start from 100-150$ 

And they work alone, right?  

As a solo developer/writer/freelancer, how the heck can you compete with those people? Because I am sure Fiverr doesn't differentiate solo freelancers and teams. Plus even if they would give such an option, most people would lie anyway. 

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Alex.M said:

I don't think it's important if someone can handle that amount of orders by themselves then good for them

Well, if a solo freelancer competes with a team, that's quite unfair. 

And I can say that for a fact, because a team has a much larger output, more frequent deliveries and other things that are favored by the algorithm. Sure, that might also lead to a lack of consistency in some cases. But overall, teams tend to receive the upper hand from the algorithm. And I can say that for a fact, seeing the writing niche I am in. From what I saw in other niches, it's similar. It's been like this for a decade so it's not like they changed it in any way. I doubt they ever will. How can you know if someone is a team or not anyway.. since they can easily lie, in fact most teams hide under the solo freelancer moniker, few of them actually disclose they are a team and not just their team leader taking the orders. 

Obviously I have a problem with that because I work alone, so it's quite unfair to be positioned against teams.. because they can deliver more stuff quicker, and in general I saw the algorithm favors them. I also saw that many teams ended up banned though, because when you have such a large output, it's a lot easier to break the rules as you're in a constant rush to deliver. 

At this point I am used to that. But as I said, from my experience, teams are favored by the algorithm, since they deliver quicker, make revisions quicker, etc. So they do have an advantage, although there are cons to that as well.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 12/29/2023 at 2:20 AM, rawque_gulia said:

But but but, in the past 10 days, as I began receiving orders and became serious towards the account and lifted my conversion rate from 2% to 9%, Fiverr surprisingly removed my 'Fiverr Choice' badge day before yesterday. Quite amusing, to be honest!

That badge has a lot to do with buyer satisfaction rate (that's based on private feedback). If even one buyer wasn't 100% happy in their private feedback, that could have dropped your BSR below someone else's.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, catwriter said:

That badge has a lot to do with buyer satisfaction rate (that's based on private feedback). If even one buyer wasn't 100% happy in their private feedback, that could have dropped your BSR below someone else's.

And this is why the algorithm sucks. Being unavailable for a longer time, keeping the conversion rate at 0% and not selling anything is not considered bad (at least in my case) and just one bad private rating can result in you getting the badge taken away (and we're not even sure if that's the case here). I mean, other factors don't matter at all? It's fine to consider private ratings, but this much (over other factors)? How about if that rating was given when the buyer was drunk or sleepy and those were just random stars? How fair is it to take away a badge just on the basis of one single private rating--- which could be dishonest or random, right?

• Like 5
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, rawque_gulia said:

And this is why the algorithm sucks. Being unavailable for a longer time, keeping the conversion rate at 0% and not selling anything is not considered bad (at least in my case) and just one bad private rating can result in you getting the badge taken away (and we're not even sure if that's the case here). I mean, other factors don't matter at all? It's fine to consider private ratings, but this much (over other factors)? How about if that rating was given when the buyer was drunk or sleepy and those were just random stars? How fair is it to take away a badge just on the basis of one single private rating--- which could be dishonest or random, right?

there are a lot of factors playing a role in your ranking. ratings, private ratings, revisions, keywords, conversion rates, click-through rates, other sellers' performance, and the overall search volume of the particular gig. you cannot assume which particular thing can hit your ranking. mostly, if you get any bad reviews let's say below 3 stars or any cancellations then the de-rank is obvious. but that de-ranking or badge removal is not too prompt. it takes a few days or even a few weeks to move the gig down or badge removal. and luckily if you get good reviews like 4,5 good reviews after a bad one then they surely reduce the damage as I experienced. correct me if I am wrong. 

• Like 7

The key thing about any business is to be selective with your clients. Even in the best business you live and die by the perception and work you give. Not all clients are worth taking on and those clients will reduce the quality of your brand.

Spend as much time as you need vetting your customers... they are there because they need a problem fixed.

If you think a client seems bad before you've taken them on... don't do it.

Why I'm saying this is in my own experience it was working with clients I normally wouldn't have which has changed my ratings every now and again.

• Like 5
  • Up 1