Plagiarism

croix8

Question

Hello, I am a new user here. I asked a logo designer to make a logo for my startup business. I was promised that the logo is original. But, after posting it on my Facebook someone messaged me that I copied their logo and more humiliating thing we are in the same city. Then when I opened my Fiverr app to message the designer. I saw another logo designer who has the same logo design. What should I do? As the designer really insists its original. You be the judge

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7375.jpeg

• Like 6

8 answers to this question

If you have done the design within a few days then definitely ask your designer to change the design

But if it's already two or three months then tell the designer that you want to change it because it's copied by him, if he doesn't charge any extra it's fine.

And if he doesn't want to redo the design then you can get him to do the design at some extra charge.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sreeti7077rani said:

If you have done the design within a few days then definitely ask your designer to change the design

But if it's already two or three months then tell the designer that you want to change it because it's copied by him, if he doesn't charge any extra it's fine.

And if he doesn't want to redo the design then you can get him to do the design at some extra charge.

It’s not even a week that I posted the logo on my Facebook. I messaged the logo designer. Will wait for his response 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sreeti7077rani said:

That's really not how it works. 

The designer is lying - they either sold the logo to several people (which I somehow doubt as other designers have it in their portfolio) or found it online, either on Canva or other pages. I - think - but I'm not entirely sure that I've seen something very similar on Canva. As far as I know, reselling those designs as yours isn't really OK (unless you change them significantly.) Even if the site itself says it's OK, Fiverr has rules against it.

There's a huge difference between producing similar logos and selling stuff that is made by someone else on a free to use (or even paid ) website. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1

40 minutes ago, melanielm said:

Report them to Fiverr and get your money back.

Copyright infringement, plagiarism, and theft aren't things to discuss with the seller. They're against the TOS and many laws. The seller should get kicked off the site.

Maybe that will be my last resort. I don’t want him to lose his business in Fiverr but Fiverr should warn him or something. But I don’t know how to do that

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, croix8 said:

I don’t want him to lose his business in Fiverr but Fiverr should warn him or something.

If this is the first time they broke the rules, Fiverr will probably just warn them.

Don't feel bad about the seller. They scammed you, and they did it knowingly (it's not possible not to know that the logo they sent you wasn't created by them). You felt ashamed because of them, and what they did could have cost you a lot of money if the rightful owner decided to press charges. If the seller is allowed to get away with this, they'll keep doing the same thing to others, and they could do a lot of harm (think shame, loss of money, loss of reputation, lawsuits...).

8 minutes ago, croix8 said:

But I don’t know how to do that

Submit a ticket to Customer Support: https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets

• Like 7
  • Up 1

10 hours ago, croix8 said:

Hello, I am a new user here. I asked a logo designer to make a logo for my startup business. I was promised that the logo is original. But, after posting it on my Facebook someone messaged me that I copied their logo and more humiliating thing we are in the same city. Then when I opened my Fiverr app to message the designer. I saw another logo designer who has the same logo design. What should I do? As the designer really insists its original. You be the judge

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7375.jpeg

The designer definitely LIED to you by claiming/promising that this is his/her original work !!

But at large finding similar stuff in the market isn't always the case of plagiarisation!!

A couple of examples from my professional experience:

1. Fashion Industry: In any given season, mass and premium brands source their fabrics and trims from the same set of suppliers who offer the same portfolio of products to all brands. So it is common to find very similar designs from different brands in the market during the same season. Often, even the season's inspiration is same for all fashion brands within the same category and they end up using similar graphics or embroidery on apparel. 

2. Graphic Design: Designers often source their templates or visual elements from the same library. They do not have the SKILL to create the beautiful illustrations like the one used in your logo. And, the designers who create that level of unique work are often very costly too because their work is genuinely original and unique!! Someone might promise you an original logo for $5 or $50 but they just use the templates or commonly available visual elements in paid or free libraries. So yes, its a function of buyer's budget and skillset of designer too. 

3. Advertising: Ad agencies often buy stock imagery from sites and use it in their ads. I have seen different businesses publishing their ads on the same day in same newspaper with same stock image!!  They did not copy each other but coincidentally ended up using the same stock image. 

This is not exactly a black n white case of plagarisation but that's how the world works.

But I repeat designer should not have claimed this as original work!! Please report it to support and take necessary action. 

• Like 4
  • Up 2