Bad Experience (be aware before working on this platform)!

ammar_kassas

This platform deducted USD$ 249 out of my net selling price USD$ 1,242 to my client, hence they took 20% !!! out of the order, knowing that I was reading very carefully before placing the offer and sending it to the client, and I clearly chose the option to fill in the net price not inclusive to Fiverr margin and taxes, which means Fiverr should add their margin to the total price plus taxes and show it to the client and not take it from me after the sale was closed and delivered by me. This way of bluffing people especially new talents to the platforms is not acceptable, they should have added their margin not take it away from my net price. It was so frustrating and I would highly not recommend working on this platform because it's not professional and a big loss of your money and the client's money as well, there are better platforms available for voiceover services, and I have informed the client about this as well. I lost my margin and now I'll have to pay my sound-engineer the whole amount and I got no profit at all and wasted my 72+ hours of working on this project. What a waste of time and unfair platform.   

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Up 1

Did you see Fiverr adding the 20% on top as an option? Or was it just an assumption? I don't believe I've ever seen it and I've been here for years. I've earned a lot on Fiverr (for me at least) and have had the 20% taken from every order I've sold. It's not fun but I have free (sort of) advertising and many other perks. 

Clients also pay a bit extra to Fiverr so to be honest if the site charged them an extra 20% I'm not sure how they would react.

I'd have a look around the TOS again and just up the prices to be honest if this way you're not making any money (if you still want to work on here.)

• Like 9
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Hence, you'll need to figure in those 20% if you want to walk away with your desired revenue.

You can find all the financial and many other terms in the terms. If you want to spare yourself such "surprises" and to succeed long-term on a platform, not just Fiverr, that site's terms really are a must-read.

Learn from it, and be aware that if you got an order early in and for such an amount easily, you're already far ahead of many, so it might be very wise to rethink, read the terms that you signed on registering, and stick with it a little longer to see if you can work with those 20% in exchange for the customers the platform sends your way. It might be worth it, after all. 

• Like 5
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, ammar_kassas said:

What a waste of time and unfair platform.   

Or you could have read the terms of selling on Fiverr and comprehended the customary charges prior to launching a gig. But Judge Judy was probably on, right? Not anyone's fault that you had no idea what you were signing up for, except you. Remember that box you clicked that said you had read all terms and agreed to them? 

Have you any idea how you appear when you don't bother to learn how things work, then yell "It's not fair" when that bites you in the ass?"

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 3
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

That's how Fiverr operates. It takes 20% of your sale amount upfront upon order completion. I think you should familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service of the platform before engaging in such business activities as sending invoices.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of Fiverr's business model (as my Success Manager can attest to), but I think it's fair to say that if you read the agreement you made with Fiverr, you would have understood from the top that they take 20%. Of everything. Even tips, for which they charge both the buyer and seller. As you yourself said, right in the title, "be aware before working on this platform!" Ironic, huh?

Look, I think Fiverr is unethical and greedy. But, that's the agreement we all accept. I also don't like it when they take 1% for releasing our earnings "early" (I use irony quotes there, because that money's already in the bank and cleared). and I think that's the point. If we take our money out "early," they can't skim the interest by keeping it in the bank, so they skim it from us instead. In short, I think Fiverr has a very unethical business model. But again, that's the deal we have all signed up for, and unless they change, or we force them to change, that's how it rolls.

Edited by dkambury
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1