A buyer is asking me to fill out a W-8BEN form. Should I do it?

andreamircheska

Question

Hey there. 
I was wondering if anyone has enountered a similar problem. 

A buyer that has already ordered two 500 $ gigs I am currently working on just messaged me whether I would fill out a W-8BEN form. I tried researching the form but I got even more confused.

I am a Macedonian citizen, and I have been working on Fiverr since the beginning of this year. How will signing this form affect me? 

Thank you a bunch!

Edited by andreamircheska
  • Like 6
  • Up 3

4 answers to this question

It so happens Fiverr does not have info on this.... But a competitor site does answer it in their Help section.

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that <downwork> is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, <downwork> requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on <downwork>. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

Anyway, best to contact Customer Support and consult a professional. 

• Like 9
  • Up 1

21 hours ago, andreamircheska said:

Hey there. 
I was wondering if anyone has enountered a similar problem. 

A buyer that has already ordered two 500 $ gigs I am currently working on just messaged me whether I would fill out a W-8BEN form. I tried researching the form but I got even more confused.

I am a Macedonian citizen, and I have been working on Fiverr since the beginning of this year. How will signing this form affect me? 

Thank you a bunch!

The client is technically working with Fiverr. Not you.

On Fiverr, you are not permitted to provide even basic contact information like your e-mail.

Has he completed projects with you? If yes, tell him to contact customer support. If no, it is most likely an elaborate phising attempt.

My 2 cents.

Edited by sunboatrecords
  • Like 4