If you weren't doing what you're doing now, what would be your dream job / profession?

williambryan392

I almost was on my way to uni for marine biology instead of going for languages in the end. Realistically, it's too late, but unrealistically, maybe that.

And more realistically, I'd write full-time or become a mangaka. If you send over the fairy with one wish right now, I think I'll spontaneously go for mangaka, thank you. I already have a story outline to cover two dozen books, I'll work on that, one day, but the fairy could speed it up.

In a way, I am doing everything I've always dreamed of doing, professionally. I always wanted to do something related to the gaming industry. Ideally, I wanted to do YouTube or livestreaming. I tried my hand at both for 4+ years but it never panned out the way I was hoping. When my Fiverr games writing gig gained traction, it was close enough. In addition, my day job is in learning technology where I've had the opportunity to play with immersive technologies, resulting in me learning to use game engines such as Unity.

If I could have my ideal situation, I'd be a games content creator/developer, but I'm close enough so I'm content 🙂

I'd love to be able to create my own games for a living (and not just write stories for other people's!) 

As much as I love freelancing, I'd honestly love to run my own indie company. But I can't code/draw (or manage people all that well so...)
Stepping away from something still close to what I do... When I was younger I wanted to be a flight attendant. It's impossible for quite a few reasons, the main one being my reaaally bad fear of flying. 

I'd love to travel for a living, but I think I'd end up terrified and hating my job within days. 

48 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I'd honestly love to run my own indie company.

Great dream, but in today's landscape that can be a massive risk. It does come down to the ideas you have and whether it's something novel, different. If it is, that might actually be something to look into. I would buy your game to support anyway 🙂

15 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I would buy your game to support anyway

Thank you!

It's still very far away (if it will ever happen!) 

Ironically, I've also been looking into working for a team (so having a more 'set' job, but I do prefer the freedom of being, well, a freelancer, to be honest. I would love to one day publish several games though but for now I'll stick to silly stuff (like making custom cards for some board games we play!) 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, katakatica said:

I'd love to be able to create my own games for a living (and not just write stories for other people's!) 

As much as I love freelancing, I'd honestly love to run my own indie company. But I can't code/draw (or manage people all that well so...)
Stepping away from something still close to what I do... When I was younger I wanted to be a flight attendant. It's impossible for quite a few reasons, the main one being my reaaally bad fear of flying. 

I'd love to travel for a living, but I think I'd end up terrified and hating my job within days. 

I used to think that I couldn't build games because I am petrified of coding. But then I downloaded Unity for my job, went through the official essentials training and now I'm planning on putting together my first dumb game project.

I highly recommend giving the training a go. Game engines have come a long way and there are massive communities of small and solo devs sharing knowledge.

Just a small nudge 🙂

9 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

Just a small nudge

Haha, thanks! I still want to make games, I just don't think I'll have a proper team for now on!
(slightly off-topic, but still about a dream job, so!) I'm already part of some communities and have gotten lots of encouragement and help. It's only time that I'll actually try something other than Twine! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived