moving to new country

editophia

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi Editophia,

The location to each account on Fiverr is set by the system and is based on your current geographical location. The location updates periodically. 

If you change your location in the future, and the location is not set correctly, please reach out to our CS team and they will be happy to help. 

• Like 27
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 1

The main reasons are so Fiverr can make sure you're paying tax and so it shows your time properly (ie if the buyer sees it's 3 in the morning where you are they probably won't expect an immediate response). I've lived in 4 different countries while I've been on Fiverr.

If you get paid via PayPal you must change your PayPal account and link it to the bank in your new country. I had to do that because being linked to a Dutch bank is of no use if I'm in the US where I have to pay ATM fees to withdraw every single time.

One more point - I am a native English speaker and because I only sell writing gigs, it's VERY important that buyers know this. If I moved to somewhere with another language someone browsing the possible writers would NOT look at my gig, assuming I'm from there.

Now, I know this post is old already but anyone else wondering about the same topic... I hope this is useful advice for you. The PayPal country change is not optional and can take a while. Hope this might help someone. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, victel said:

Now, I know this post is old already but anyone else wondering about the same topic... I hope this is useful advice for you. The PayPal country change is not optional and can take a while. Hope this might help someone. 

I'll add to this as well - If you are a US citizen, don't forget to update your W9. You might also have to change your Payoneer country as well (I just moved from Japan and found out that Payoneer requires a new account if you move in or out of Japan).

8 minutes ago, victel said:

I am a native English speaker and because I only sell writing gigs, it's VERY important that buyers know this.

I'll echo this! I'm also a native English speaker but many buyers questioned that since I was based in Japan. It shouldn't be a problem now that I'm back in the US!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, vickieito said:

I'll echo this! I'm also a native English speaker but many buyers questioned that since I was based in Japan. It shouldn't be a problem now that I'm back in the US!

When I was in The Netherlands, I got a LOT of messages from potential buyers coming through in Dutch. My Dutch is so-so but absolutely not good enough for a businesslike conversation or writing an article in Dutch. So I don't miss that!

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, victel said:

When I was in The Netherlands, I got a LOT of messages from potential buyers coming through in Dutch.

My Japanese is good enough to get myself into trouble, so I try not to use Japanese on the platform. I only list English on my profile but my location still would throw off several buyers.

I did have a request for doing work in Polish once. The buyer was insistent that I could do everything in Polish, which confused the heck out of me (I had to run to the mirror several times just to see if I looked Polish)! I later found out it was because my gig said "I will proofread and polish your writing" and I was on the first page for buyers searching for "Polish" and "proofreading"! That title got changed very quickly! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

On 3/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Lena said:

The location to each account on Fiverr is set by the system and is based on your current geographical location. The location updates periodically. 

Are we sure about this? I am digital nomad travelling in Europe all the time but my location is Italy because my ID is Italy and my residence is in Italy and I pay taxes in Italy and my company is registred there. My location has never ever changed since I have started travelling and staying sometimes months out of the country. 

• Like 10
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tatjanamitevska said:

Are we sure about this? I am digital nomad travelling in Europe all the time but my location is Italy because my ID is Italy and my residence is in Italy and I pay taxes in Italy and my company is registred there. My location has never ever changed since I have started travelling and staying sometimes months out of the country. 

It doesn't change. Mine has been set to the US for years since it's where I spend the majority of my time and it's pointless to keep on changing it whenever I travel. I can be in Europe for months and it stays the same.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, tatjanamitevska said:

Are we sure about this?

1 hour ago, victel said:

It doesn't change.

When I moved from Japan to the US a week ago, I had to manually change my location with Fiverr Customer Support (only the time changed automatically for the time zone I was in). All Fiverr needed was a copy of a utility bill showing proof of residence and they changed my country for me.

• Like 12
  • Up 3

It would be a good idea to inform Fiverr of your move to a new country. This may affect your ability to receive payments and access certain features on the platform. Updating your account information is a piece of cake. Go to your account settings and editing your profile. You should also check with the company regarding the tax laws of your new country and how it affects your earning on Fiverr. But anyway, there is nothing significant to worry about. It would be the best to spend your time looking for a reliable moving company, such as acelinemoving.com. Your Fiverr account is less important than that. I hope I helped.

Edited by knoxjulian
  • Like 9

On 3/28/2022 at 2:55 PM, Lena said:

Hi Editophia,

If you change your location in the future, and the location is not set correctly, please reach out to our CS team and they will be happy to help. 

That's great, I didn't know that.

• Like 5