If You Do This You Wil Get a Warning!

vickiespencer

I looked at Buyer Requests today and found this one. I also noticed that 22 sellers had applied to take this job. Obviously, the sellers do not know or they are too desperate to care and they apply for this kind of work. However, all sellers who have read terms of service know that to do any academic work for a student is against Fiverr's TOS and will get you a warning at the very least and if it is your third offense the seller could lose their account.

Another outcome could be that you would do the academic work and then the student would threaten to report you to CS for breaking TOS and force you to cancel. Thus you work for free!

As a proofreader, I am not allowed to even proofread the what a student has written for an assignment even though the student did all of the work. So.protect your account and do not do academic work for students.

1527829440_ScreenShot2021-10-13at8_08_51AM.thumb.png.74925adc509ba1ffd88ad3e74ac98fa9.png

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 122
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Up 23
  • Thanks 4

Its annoying that so many buyer requests that are blatantly against TOS still make it through and get 100s of responses from sellers. There really should be an option for sellers to report buyer requests for breaking TOS or flag them as spam. Buyer requests could be a great tool to help buyers be more specific with their exact needs and find matching buyers but its so overwhelmed with spam, at least in my categories.

• Like 88
  • Up 7

A guaranteed A? They are really out of touch with the way instructors grade. Teachers know how their students write (speaking from experience) and if they submitted something written by someone else the teacher will know immediately.

Curious. Isn't there a screening process for posting in BR?

• Like 88
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

As a proofreader, I am not allowed to even proofread the what a student has written for an assignment even though the student did all of the work. So.protect your account and do not do academic work for students.

Just wanted to share, if you type "dissertation" on the search bar, you will see a top rated seller, a Pro and a couple of other gigs with sales doing something like that. Their gig descriptions mention academic, undergraduate, thesis, refining grammar, etc. 

Haha, I don't have much to say beyond that because I also don't know where the lines really are on this. But I would not touch academic work either. 

• Like 73
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, zanardi2 said:

What is CS?

Customer Support.

3 hours ago, topaz_muse said:

Isn't there a screening process for posting in BR?

I think there is, but it's automated and probably based on certain keywords. And then some perfectly legitimate requests get denied, and stuff that shouldn't be there, like Vickie's example or a request for NSFW non-con Harry Potter fanfiction goes through.

• Like 78
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, theratypist said:

Just wanted to share, if you type "dissertation" on the search bar, you will see a top rated seller, a Pro and a couple of other gigs with sales doing something like that. Their gig descriptions mention academic, undergraduate, thesis, refining grammar, etc. 

Proofreaders can proofread thesis and dissertations. We cannot however,  write them. Nonetheless, I stay away from that type of work.

Ain't that the truth! I once had a student turn in an essay that sounded more like his dad talking that the boy. I wanted to talk to the father about it when I saw him in the parking lot at school picking his son up. The dad swore the boy had written every word from his own mind. I said, "Oh, that explains all of the spelling errors." The man got looked shocked! 😆

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 80
  • Up 6

• 10 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, vickiespencer said:

I'm a proofreader as well, and I have to say that Fiverr's academic services policy absolutely confounds me. It's clear about some areas, but not about others, as technically it does say that you can "proofread the completed work." 

However, more confusing is the fact that the site is littered with essay, discussion post, etc. writing services. I've been in the professional world and in academia for quite a while now, and I can honestly say I've never found another use for an essay in MLA/APA format outside of homework. 

Just my two cents! 

• Like 64
  • Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 11:01 AM, topaz_muse said:

A guaranteed A?

Curious. Isn't there a screening process for posting in BR?

Weeell, I definitely remember forum posts from buyers with legit requests that didn't get through seeking advice, so there must be some kind of screening, but for what exactly, who knows. I often see BRs that shouldn't have gotten through, but it's probably either difficult to teach AI to not let bad ones through while not sorting out too many good ones with them, or they have staff doing manual checks who've never been Fiverr sellers and don't see what we see, or something...

Maybe they should ask Cinderella if they can hire her pigeons for that job, now, that she doesn't live with the evil stepmom anymore. 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, vickiespencer said:

Nonetheless, I stay away from that type of work.

The (unspoken) rules for some types of work seem so vague, that this seems to be the sensible approach. It's a pity, though, that, due to this, certainly quite a few people will turn away jobs that would be just fine to do, and that they'd gladly do, and there's a good chance that those jobs go to people who also pick up jobs that are not okay to do.

• Like 59
  • Up 1