How do you suggest Hosting providers to a client?

shihabmahmud620

Question

I provide website creation, migration and redesigning services but hosting servers are not a part of my products so when a client who doesn't have much knowledge on hostings or doesn't want to research by themselves can I recommend any Hosting provider of my choice? When someone asks for "which hosting they should buy?" I always try to recommend them to research and look for any local best provider but some of them just don't know what to do... So how do you handle these situations? Does Fiverr allows seller to recommend a third party service like this?

5 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, shihabmahmud620 said:

I always try to recommend them to research and look for any local best provider

I think this is the best initial response. Then, if they don't know what to do to go about researching, I would suggest both: offering to do SOME of the research for them as a Gig Extra (based on the amount of work that will take you), AND offer the alternative of the ones (about 3) you would recommend if they don't want the first (do it themselves) or second option. 

1 hour ago, shihabmahmud620 said:

I provide website creation, migration and redesigning services but hosting servers are not a part of my products so when a client who doesn't have much knowledge on hostings or doesn't want to research by themselves can I recommend any Hosting provider of my choice? When someone asks for "which hosting they should buy?" I always try to recommend them to research and look for any local best provider but some of them just don't know what to do... So how do you handle these situations? Does Fiverr allows seller to recommend a third party service like this?

Easy. I use two different hosts, depending on my needs. For low-traffic sites that need to be FAST I use WPX Hosting. You wouldn't believe their site speed, and the support answers all requests in 5 seconds (yes, really). 

The second is Flywheel, for more demanding, mission-critical sites. 

I don't design for clients anymore, but when I did, I always counted on clients being stupid. (Yes, they are. Don't deny it!). That means, if you ask them to do the research, you end up with them making a bad choice, and then blame you when the site is running poorly. Then you have to fix it. 

There's an added bonus to this, too. You can become an affiliate, and then share your affiliate links to hosting providers you know are good! Extra money for you, and they get a good host. 

Don't let the client pick one at random. I used to refuse working with clients who didn't pick one of those two options, because they would end up going with Godaddy or One.com, and make me suffer the consequenses when their site took 5+ seconds to load or when the backend kept returning server errors. 

P.S. Make sure you clear it with customer support before sharing affiliate links on Fiverr with your buyers! This could be against the terms (I haven't checked) but don't do it before making sure. I realized Fiverr is.. well.. Fiverr. So you better make daaamn sure before you do it. Haha. 
(Disclaimer: I never sold web design on Fiverr. Only outside of the platform to people I already knew, mostly.)

An idea if your category has it, is to set up subscriptions for hosting on your gig, and then resell hosting from a good provider. You could make a lot of passive income that way. 

13 hours ago, smashradio said:

There's an added bonus to this, too. You can become an affiliate, and then share your affiliate links to hosting providers you know are good! Extra money for you, and they get a good host. 

That's one of my plans... I've got 10+ clients now and more things are blooming. But, will it violate fiverr's terms? I've already made some specific recommendations that's why I'm concerned. Thanks

16 hours ago, shihabmahmud620 said:

That's one of my plans... I've got 10+ clients now and more things are blooming. But, will it violate fiverr's terms? I've already made some specific recommendations that's why I'm concerned. Thanks

Making specific recommendations are not against the terms. But if you're making money on it? If it's affiliate stuff it could be considered doing business outside of Fiverr, I guess, and that's not ok at all. So I would be very careful doing that. So I would absolutely check with customer support before doing anything. I would check twice. Just to be sure, lol. 

But offering hosting is a goldmine for web designers. If you get 100 clients paying you 49 per month to host or something, and you're doing it white label with a cost of 20 per site or something, you can make 2900 bucks per month with almost no maintenance work. I know a guy who hosts like 400 sites on Flywheel. The dude doesn't work anymore, except with support for his clients which is basically copy/pasting tickets lol. 

Archived