What is your favorite anime?

vibronx

I’ll try it and let you know. Thanks. I was a fan of DBZ when I was a kid (like most of us), but since then I focused more on career and learning. So I pushed stuff like anime aside. Which is why I prefer to ask for advice, as I am lost going through so many series, trying to figure out what to watch.

If you’re a writer, maybe start with “Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma (Bungo and Alchemist - Gears of Judgement)”. The anime has a fascinating conception and will introduce you to Japanese literature on the side. It’s not too long either, about a dozen episodes.

I also like “My roommate is a cat”, it’s a calmer one than the above, about an author, and I guess belongs in the “slice of life” anime drawer.

You get both the author’s and the cat’s perspectives, which is fun.

I have to say that I didn’t watch the anime yet though, just read the manga, but it’s on my list.

We all need more time, right? I watch anime, life-action manga adaptations and other Japanese stuff in Japanese with subtitles though, and call it “improving my Japanese” (and it does, I won’t digging in my memory for words if I suddenly have to tell someone to drop dead or that they are a moron!)

(As an aside, if anyone is interested in learning Japanese the entertaining way, Netflix has “Alice in Borderland” now (not as an anime, real-life action), also a bunch of anime series and Ghibli movies - and they have a great set-up to use Netflix for language learning. More suited if you’re not a total rookie, I guess, but I only discovered those possibilities recently, Netflix voucher x-mas gift, and I love it.)

Whatever you start with, choose something where the/a protagonist doesn’t have a voice you simply can’t live with, or you might give up before you’re really into it.

Anything and everything Miyazaki.

Ruroni Kenshin (and manga)

FMA:B (and manga)

Trigun (and manga)

LogHorizon (???) (Haven’t finished, hope it ends as good as it started.)

Magic Kaito 1412 (and manga)

Rinsing of the Shield Hero (A bit too new to really tell, long-term, but enjoying so far.)

Does Daft-punk’s Interstella 5555 count? Because that’s an excellent starting/restarting point, imho. Or one-shot movies like Ghibi. Grave of the Fireflies. Summer Wars made me cry.

Rinsing of the Shield Hero

That is definitely on my watchlist. Sounds very interesting.

Grave of the Fireflies.

I have not had the strength to watch it yet. I know it is going to be sad. 😦

“Alice in Borderland”

That is a great show. Something of a similar nature (also live-action) is Liar Game (the Japanese one, not the Korean one). The story is definitely not deep and kind of predictable toward the end, but the scenarios, the editing, the camerawork, and the acting are just so over-the-top and bonkers that you do not want to turn away. It is so entertaining. I still often watch GIFs and clips from the show. It is totally meme-worthy, which is why it surprises me that it is not more popular.

If you’re a writer, maybe start with “Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma (Bungo and Alchemist - Gears of Judgement)”. The anime has a fascinating conception and will introduce you to Japanese literature on the side. It’s not too long either, about a dozen episodes.

I also like “My roommate is a cat”, it’s a calmer one than the above, about an author, and I guess belongs in the “slice of life” anime drawer.

You get both the author’s and the cat’s perspectives, which is fun.

I have to say that I didn’t watch the anime yet though, just read the manga, but it’s on my list.

We all need more time, right? I watch anime, life-action manga adaptations and other Japanese stuff in Japanese with subtitles though, and call it “improving my Japanese” (and it does, I won’t digging in my memory for words if I suddenly have to tell someone to drop dead or that they are a moron!)

(As an aside, if anyone is interested in learning Japanese the entertaining way, Netflix has “Alice in Borderland” now (not as an anime, real-life action), also a bunch of anime series and Ghibli movies - and they have a great set-up to use Netflix for language learning. More suited if you’re not a total rookie, I guess, but I only discovered those possibilities recently, Netflix voucher x-mas gift, and I love it.)

Whatever you start with, choose something where the/a protagonist doesn’t have a voice you simply can’t live with, or you might give up before you’re really into it.

the/a protagonist doesn’t have a voice you simply can’t live with, or you might give up before you’re really into it.

GOSH, good point. I’m a nerd, I watch a lot of anime, but I HATE anime voices.

I was somewhat OK with them when I was younger, but as I got older…nope.

As a result, I end up watching stuff with grown characters or less girls. 😅

Archived