Ransomware virus attack on my pc!

athoi123

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am computer hardware engineer.

nly to way one you pay them

It is humanly IMPOSSIBLE that this two are true. So, pick one.

No IT expert would EVER in his right mind suggest to pay hackers or format drive over virus.

Actually I didn’t know what to do at that moment. Many are said to reinstall Windows ASAP and change the passwords of all my social accounts and fiverr also. so I did it immediately. 😔

And try to use paid antivirus. Like Eset smart sceruity. This is my experiencs. I am computer hardware engineer.

And try to use paid antivirus

As someone who actually works in IT, in my opinion this really isn’t necessary for personal use.

You would be better off educating yourself about internet safety.

So how do I recover my files when I already reinstalled windows ? Please tell me the actual solution 😞

Unless you made a backup on the computer, there isn’t a solution. For example, if you set up a system restore point sometime before the reinstall, you could use that. You can check for a restore point by pressing the Windows key/flag, typing ‘restore’, and opening the ‘Create a restore point’ option that comes up.

From there, you can click on ‘System Restore’ to select a restore point - assuming you even have one. image.png.1a89f6630ebc0e158c9a0367e96f51b1.png

Next time, ask for help before wiping everything.

no, i dont think your all hard work ended because now you dont have to start from zero but from a experience.(for further safety always keep a antivirus in pc)

Yes, This is the great lesson of my life. I have to be more careful in learning from here. 😔

No, if you are willing to do . YOUR POTENTIAL IS STILL INSIDE YOU.

Don’t worry everything will be alright.

Don’t forget to check that always your defender is active and updated.

Don’t worry everything will be alright

Did you even read the topic, or the other posts here?

If the files are gone after reinstalling or formatting windows then you can recover your impotent files from expert data recovery service. I know a professional who can do the work for you. You can search on google “Data Recovery Company Dhaka”. Hope the problem will be solved.

My pc was locked once. I downloaded a windows theme from the internet and when I install it my pc was locked by password. It was a very scary time for me. I contacted the Windows support team but they were not able to do anything.

I tried to reinstall windows but I was getting “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table” error. After lots of google and youtube searches, I was able to find some helpful tutorials and that save my pc. But I had to sacrifice my important files.

I understand how you are feeling now. Before downloading a file, I hope you will be more careful in the future.

Best wishes
Imrul

If the files are gone after reinstalling or formatting windows then you can recover your impotent files from expert data recovery service. I know a professional who can do the work for you. You can search on google “Data Recovery Company Dhaka”. Hope the problem will be solved.

My pc was locked once. I downloaded a windows theme from the internet and when I install it my pc was locked by password. It was a very scary time for me. I contacted the Windows support team but they were not able to do anything.

I tried to reinstall windows but I was getting “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table” error. After lots of google and youtube searches, I was able to find some helpful tutorials and that save my pc. But I had to sacrifice my important files.

I understand how you are feeling now. Before downloading a file, I hope you will be more careful in the future.

Best wishes

Imrul

I have searched on web. And found this virus is similar to Ransomware xorist. But not found any exact tools to unlock the files. It’s not a normal virus. You can Google it to find out more. I search a lot and saw Where They gave email to contact with them and asking dollar($) to unlock the files that text file created on 13 may 2020. I don’t know why this date is showing? Where my PC was infected with virus on 2nd july. I had normal antivirus on my PC for so many days. On July 1, I installed Macfee Total Security Antivirus. I have reinstalled windows. Also i have saved a copy of all my files to a portable hard disk (HDD).

I have searched on web. And found this virus is similar to Ransomware xorist. But not found any exact tools to unlock the files. It’s not a normal virus. You can Google it to find out more. I search a lot and saw Where They gave email to contact with them and asking dollar($) to unlock the files that text file created on 13 may 2020. I don’t know why this date is showing? Where my PC was infected with virus on 2nd july. I had normal antivirus on my PC for so many days. On July 1, I installed Macfee Total Security Antivirus. I have reinstalled windows. Also i have saved a copy of all my files to a portable hard disk (HDD).

It’s not a normal virus

I think Viruses don’t vary.

Also i have saved a copy of all my files to a portable hard disk (HDD).

That is your Lesson. It will help you in future.

Please don’t pay someone that claims to offer “expert data recovery service”. It’s not hard to attempt to do yourself, and they won’t be doing anything different from what I have suggested.

If when reinstalling Windows you chose to delete everything, rather than keep your personal files, then they are gone forever. It’s as simple as that.

It’s not a normal virus

I think Viruses don’t vary.

Also i have saved a copy of all my files to a portable hard disk (HDD).

That is your Lesson. It will help you in future.

I think Viruses don’t vary

What? Of course they do. How they affect your PC depends on the virus. For example, a browser hijacking virus redirects you to malicious sites. An overwrite virus destroys the original program data on your computer. What this person got seems to have been ransomware, which encrypts all your files (or pretends to) and asks for payment.

I think Viruses don’t vary

What? Of course they do. How they affect your PC depends on the virus. For example, a browser hijacking virus redirects you to malicious sites. An overwrite virus destroys the original program data on your computer. What this person got seems to have been ransomware, which encrypts all your files (or pretends to) and asks for payment.

@markhallva Thanks for information.

Please don’t pay someone that claims to offer “expert data recovery service”. It’s not hard to attempt to do yourself, and they won’t be doing anything different from what I have suggested.

If when reinstalling Windows you chose to delete everything, rather than keep your personal files, then they are gone forever. It’s as simple as that.

Ok Thank you…This is a great lesson for me. I refused to pay for it. Please suggest me the name of some good antivirus. Which will not slow down my PC.

Ok Thank you…This is a great lesson for me. I refused to pay for it. Please suggest me the name of some good antivirus. Which will not slow down my PC.

good antivirus

In my opinion, you’re fine with just Windows Defender. It’s come a long way, and it’s what I’ve been using for a few years now.

If you’re really concerned, Sophos and Bitdefender both offer free versions for personal use. Of the two, I’d go with Bitdefender - I believe you need to create an account for it. Here: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html. Just leave it running in the background and do a scan with it from time to time.

Just keep in mind that having these does not mean you’re completely safe from viruses in the future. You still need to practice internet safety. Think of ‘hackers’ and antivirus companies being two competitors in a never-ending race, and at some point, the hacker will be in front. When that happens, all the antivirus companies are attempting to catch up, and you end up vulnerable to whatever the hacker is doing. That’s basically what security patches are for.

Best wishes

Imrul

That won’t help, the files are overwritten now, nothing can restore them.

Never pay someone a ransom to get your files back. Not because they might not give them back, but because if they make money, they continue to do it even more, and more people start to get their computers infected.

Nothing should be that valuable that you can’t lose it or get it back. If something is valuable to you, always move such files as a copy to a different external drive, like an USB stick or your phone, and don’t keep it plugged in ever.

Googling how to restore a PC infected with ransomware is the way to deal with it. But don’t believe if some site says you can download something to fix it. Never download any files or click short links (Like bit links), unless you are 200% sure it’s legit. And even then, use sites like https://www.virustotal.com (Not sure if that checks for ransomware), but there’s tons of such sites, and one should have it covered as well.

May also want to get a better internet security app. One that at least by the time you open an infected file, it prevents it from opening and puts it into quarantine. And most paid security apps also have an anti-ransomware feature, which does not allow suspicious applications to modify files.

Once you become better at identifying threats and staying away from them, you don’t even need any internet security app. Surfing safe is enough to keep your files safe. Use only Firefox and download addons that block ads (Some can be malware, so better to block them all), such as ublock origin. And to be extra safe, noscript addon as well, to block all sites from executing scripts, unless you allow them to.

Stay safe! 🙂

I have had my PC attacked by exactly the same ransomware(.freelocker) on July 1. Spent a whole day searching for a decryption key to this ransomware but found none. Even tried Xorist but didn’t work. There wasn’t actually any other way than to reinstall Windows; talked to quite a number of experts. Not sure how my PC got attacked, I didn’t even download any file from Buyer Request. But Fiverr was open as a tab on Chrome.

Archived