My completed work remains unpaid?

The videographer started contact with ME, not the other way around. I am used to having done work for just 3 clients (I am very new) and all orders arrived as a proper order. That is fine and I am used to working like that. But this videographer said ‘Send me an invoice for $5’. I did NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT. So I sent him a ‘Custom Offer’ for $5. Was that wrong? Once I had done that, there was nothing on that to indicate ‘Client has accepted’ or ‘Client has NOT accepted’ so I did not know what to do and continued working.

Of course there was. Once they accepted, you would get a notification and an order on the order page. That you don’t know this shows that you didn’t read the terms of service or familiarised yourself with the platform before you started selling.

The videographer started contact with ME, not the other way around. I am used to having done work for just 3 clients (I am very new) and all orders arrived as a proper order. That is fine and I am used to working like that. But this videographer said ‘Send me an invoice for $5’. I did NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT. So I sent him a ‘Custom Offer’ for $5. Was that wrong? Once I had done that, there was nothing on that to indicate ‘Client has accepted’ or ‘Client has NOT accepted’ so I did not know what to do and continued working.

You did correct when you sent them the Custom Offer. Where things went left is you did not realize that the Custom Offer needed to be accepted and it would then be in your Order queue. This has nothing to do with TOS - it is just knowing how the site works, which, I think all of us kind of learn by trial and error. Don’t beat yourself up too badly over it. You now know, and will not have that occur again! 🙂

GG

Hi everyone, I am a new seller so I am just getting the hang of how Fiverr works. I am a voiceover artist. This question is not focused on ‘Where is my money?’ but rather ‘What happened here?’ Some days ago a videographer created an order for $5 for me to read 120 words for use by a driving school in their website. I completed and delivered the work before the agreed deadline. Some days go by and the videographer responds ‘My client did not like your voice and found your tone too soft. He is not going to use your recording, so I cannot pay you’. OK, I understand that although I have 4 x 5-star reviews for the 4 clients I’ve worked for so far (I’m new to Fiverr), that not EVERYONE in the world will feel my voice is right for their product. But if I have completed work via a Fiverr order, shouldn’t I get paid anyhow? Please can someone explain the process? Thanks.

Here is a North London phrase for you. “you have been done.” This buyer asked for a custom order and never accepted it, probably realizing you were new and didn’t realize they had to accept it. If you do work you get paid for it. This

My client did not like your voice and found your tone too soft. He is not going to use your recording, so I cannot pay you

This is irrelevant. you are not working for a third party. you are working for the buyer. you have samples on your gig and they knew what they were getting. unfortunately it looks like they did this intentionally. In future if there is no order in your orders queue then don’t start work until there is.

Here is a North London phrase for you. “you have been done.” This buyer asked for a custom order and never accepted it, probably realizing you were new and didn’t realize they had to accept it. If you do work you get paid for it. This

My client did not like your voice and found your tone too soft. He is not going to use your recording, so I cannot pay you

This is irrelevant. you are not working for a third party. you are working for the buyer. you have samples on your gig and they knew what they were getting. unfortunately it looks like they did this intentionally. In future if there is no order in your orders queue then don’t start work until there is.

Hi, thanks so much ‘markp’, this was very useful information! Point noted! Yes, I did not understand from looking at the screen that my Custom Offer had NOT been accepted. As there is nothing on the Custom Offer that says ‘Client has Accepted’ or ‘Client has Rejected’, it wasn’t clear to me that it was NOT accepted.

Hi, thanks so much ‘markp’, this was very useful information! Point noted! Yes, I did not understand from looking at the screen that my Custom Offer had NOT been accepted. As there is nothing on the Custom Offer that says ‘Client has Accepted’ or ‘Client has Rejected’, it wasn’t clear to me that it was NOT accepted.

But it wasn’t clear that it was accepted either… It should be evident that it was still waiting for confirmation on their part.

But it wasn’t clear that it was accepted either… It should be evident that it was still waiting for confirmation on their part.

This is a common mistake that those new to the platform make as they are not aware of how Custom Offers work - and there are plenty of scam buyers who will abuse that.

GG

When you make a custom offer, at the bottom right of it there’s a button that says “withdraw offer”. When the client accepts the offer, that wording changes to “offer accepted”.

After a few moments, the order will appear in your order list and you’ll get a “great news!” email.

Archived