Does the Forum Affect Your Attitude to Clients?

eoinfinnegan

I keep my attitude in check. I’m a feisty one and don’t take crapola from anybody.

That’s why I always say you must be part Sicilian. “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

That’s why I always say you must be part Sicilian. “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

That’s what’s up! 😎

I’m a dessert gal, so the cannoli will satisfy my sweet tooth. 😋

If I haven’t already told you. The TRS 🎩

Make the best pasta 🍝

That’s what’s up! 😎

I’m a dessert gal, so the cannoli will satisfy my sweet tooth. 😋

If I haven’t already told you. The TRS 🎩

Make the best pasta 🍝

If I haven’t already told you. The TRS 🎩 looks good on you.

Thank You, I really appreciate that. You’re next!

So I spend a lot of time on the forum and as a Mod, I tend to read or at least scan the majority of topics that are posted. This is great in many ways as I get to hear about issues and bugs and can react or check for them before they affect me. However, after a little incident today, I am wondering if some of the negativity that the forum has at times affects me and gives me a negative attitude to clients when something is wrong.

Today, I got an order of $175. It was including a $100 extra fast fee which is unusual as well as the fact that they had not contacted me first - again unusual for a larger order.

The actual order was for translation but the number of words in the document was 5 times what had been paid for. Immediately my mind went to “this guy is trying to screw me” and as I debated whether to just cancel it, I thought each of the following:

• He has tried to get it extra fast but without paying the fee properly
  • He is trying to take advantage of the unwillingness of sellers to cancel orders now
  • He is hoping I will just do it because it is a big order
  • Various other complicated scenarios based on the experiences I have read about on here.

After taking some deep breaths through a cigarette I sent a nice message explaining that they had underpaid and with a custom extra for the additional amount of $275. The buyer paid the extra within 5 minutes and apologized, they misunderstood the package description.

Imagine if I had just cancelled it?

Just noticed @bradencollins10 there…

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

After taking some deep breaths through a cigarette I sent a nice message explaining that they had underpaid and with a custom extra for the additional amount of $275

Smoking is not big and it is not clever - I would have sent the same message if I had just breathed fresh air (and not destroyed my lungs and smelled bad too).

Guest sara19841

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

After taking some deep breaths through a cigarette I sent a nice message explaining that they had underpaid and with a custom extra for the additional amount of $275

Smoking is not big and it is not clever - I would have sent the same message if I had just breathed fresh air (and not destroyed my lungs and smelled bad too).

I would have sent the same message if I had just breathed fresh air

True, but you wouldn’t have looked as cool doing it.

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

Don’t worry-- I can’t stand the smell of cigarettes anyways so I wouldn’t go near them.

Don’t worry-- I can’t stand the smell of cigarettes anyways so I wouldn’t go near them.

Good to hear it. Filthy, disgusting habit that I started 20 years ago. You don’t wanna end up looking like me and having to have ridiculously photogenic dogs beside you as a distraction when having photos taken, now do you?

I just started having delivery times longer than 24 hours for the first time ever and it’s hard to make that transition. I actually have a little time now to take care of some personal things. I feel more relaxed. It still feels very strange to leave those orders sitting there and not get them done quickly.
I’m not sure if I will continue with this. I wanted to try it.

I just started having delivery times longer than 24 hours for the first time ever and it’s hard to make that transition. I actually have a little time now to take care of some personal things. I feel more relaxed. It still feels very strange to leave those orders sitting there and not get them done quickly.

I’m not sure if I will continue with this. I wanted to try it.

I actually have a little time now to take care of some personal things.

That is the huge benefit for me. Every night, I sit down and complete the next 24 hours worth of deliveries. Before I did it this way, I was stressed because suddenly overnight there was a new batch, all needing immediate attention. Now, I have the ability to work in chunks and manage my time. When everything was 24 hour delivery, it felt like I was in an emergency delivery situation all the time.

I actually have a little time now to take care of some personal things.

That is the huge benefit for me. Every night, I sit down and complete the next 24 hours worth of deliveries. Before I did it this way, I was stressed because suddenly overnight there was a new batch, all needing immediate attention. Now, I have the ability to work in chunks and manage my time. When everything was 24 hour delivery, it felt like I was in an emergency delivery situation all the time.

That’s a benefit of being a TR seller. I’ve extended delivery on mine a few times, as a level 2, and my gig went MIA for a LONG time after.

This happened to me a month ago.

A buyer ordered 250 dollars (for a custom video, voiceover and a script ). However, the package only covered a 30 seconds video and he wanted something of 90 seconds.

I sent him a message explaining this and to add an additional $345.

He apologized, made the payment, left 5 stars and the order is complete. He has even come back for more.

For a minute, I felt it was dodgy. Maybe it was due to all the forum experiences

This happened to me actually just an hour ago but in my case the buyer used the fast delivery option for an x4 amount of words in the Basic plan instead of the premium one, so instead of 640$ he paid 485$, I did the same as you and sent an extra 155$ offer with a nice message, hopefully I get similar reaction as urs.

EDIT: He actually Accepted today

This happened to me actually just an hour ago but in my case the buyer used the fast delivery option for an x4 amount of words in the Basic plan instead of the premium one, so instead of 640$ he paid 485$, I did the same as you and sent an extra 155$ offer with a nice message, hopefully I get similar reaction as urs.

EDIT: He actually Accepted today

So happy to hear this - great news.

Hopefully our stories might encourage others to consider how they manage similar issues in future.

You did EXACTLY what you should have. Despite being taken advantage of a few times by unscrupulous buyers, I do my best to remember that I am a business, and that my buyers are my consumers. And that they are human and prone to error. I know I have made mistakes with deliveries, and my buyers have been great with me about them, and I should at the very least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Archived