Another Fiverr seller is profiting from my work

tsdaniels1

I usually outsource some services like voice over, but i always give the client the option: Look i will hire someone at fiverr, you could either do it yourself or i will include it on the budget. If they want me to handle it, i let whoever i’ll be working knoe: hey, my client needs this and that…

Right on! I have tons of video creators who buy VO from me. And it goes the other way, some of my VO clients ask if I know video, whiteboard or script writers.

Sometimes I manage the whole job (and charge for that), sometimes I just send the business to those other Fiverr sellers… All of which I’ve worked with many times in the past, sometimes as their subcontractor, sometimes I’m subcontracting them.

@tsdaniels1: If your prices are low enough, some people will buy your work and resell it. You can raise prices, or have a commercial license fee or keep doing what you’re doing. Life in the freelance biz.

I do agree it’s not cool/appropriate to pretend they are you and use your gig info. That’s different. That’s a matter for CS to sort out.

Hmmm, I can understand why this would upset you, but to be honest, I think this happens a lot in the business world. I know I get a lot of clients who are selling to someone else and as long as they pay me, I have no problem with it. Actually, I would say at least 20% of my business is from buyers who sale my work as their own. Most of my buyers who resale my work are not on Fiverr – if they were and their prices where higher then mine, I would at least raise my prices to match theirs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your client is charging some other price from his client and is keeping a profit (while not telling you of that), you cannot ask how much money he is charging from his client and increase your prices based on that.

Recently, I had a client with a huge order. When I was sending him revision samples, he took too much time and I knew that he had a client he was working for. Till the last minute, he pretended as if he HIMSELF needed that work. But when he asked large number of revisions after the order completion, I sent him a custom offer for revisions but he refused to pay more.

After a lengthy discussion, the original client who needed the work contacted me and paid me for extra revisions.

P.S: I outsource my work to non-Fiverr, personal contacts without keeping any profit for myself. 😉

But he’s saying my work is his work… It’s not sort of the same and outsourcing, the gig is literally word for word. He’s even copied my description (which he didn’t pay for).

I had this happen to me-- the gig description part, anyway. I happened to find it by coincidence. He copied and pasted my entire description (most of it wasn’t applicable to him since it was VERY specific) and I felt like people were purchasing his gig for my credentials that he didn’t have. I contacted him about it, and he said someone sold the description to him. Lovely, isn’t it? It was fixed however, so it is worth a try.

Guest shubh2012

the author of the thread seems to have removed the profile…or is it that we cant see it on purpose?

remove the 1 from their username.

But he’s saying my work is his work… It’s not sort of the same and outsourcing, the gig is literally word for word. He’s even copied my description (which he didn’t pay for).

In this case, recovering your order tries to make it more attractive and not sell more to him or if you want to charge him a higher price to him.

I feel if one is getting what has been asked for in the gig, then it’s a fairly good business deal. Why should one be bothered about it at all?
But yes it’s a somewhat different matter if the gig has been copied in totality. Even then though, to be able to fake it, one has to obviously be smart and know how to do it. Because, the guy obviously has to do the talking, to seal the deal.

To be clear I have no problem with outsourcing - I know that happens - but from my point of view this guy is selling my gig for twice the amount and getting credit for it. I’m not happy to have to deal with him (he’s difficult, often refuses to provide my requirements, and can be quite rude) and I’m sure his customers wouldn’t be pleased to know they could be paying half the amount for the exact same work if they came directly to me.

I’m not sure there’s even any sales skill involved as he’s copied my description word for word.

To be clear I have no problem with outsourcing - I know that happens - but from my point of view this guy is selling my gig for twice the amount and getting credit for it. I’m not happy to have to deal with him (he’s difficult, often refuses to provide my requirements, and can be quite rude) and I’m sure his customers wouldn’t be pleased to know they could be paying half the amount for the exact same work if they came directly to me.

I’m not sure there’s even any sales skill involved as he’s copied my description word for word.

There must be, because the two of you use the same description, and yet his customers choose him over you.

Okay Lets see this from a business point of you.

Do you want me to outsource a $30 order to you at same price ( $30 ) . What about the 20% cutoff and processing fee? Okay If I keep a margin for that, then what do I get of handling all that mess ( getting info from my client, processing it and sending it to you, placing order, if he hits revision, I am going to hit revision with you BLAH BLAH, trust me, its more hassle than you think ), Is it fair with me if I do all this for not even a single penny? How about some profit for me as well? I think a kid can even get what I am trying to say here. These are the basics of doing business.

Or is it that you are just annoyed because someone is more smarter than you in doing business? All I can see here is jealousy I think. That’s it. Because you already mentioned, you don’t have any problem with reselling. If he can afford high prices for the same service as you, looks like he has developed his profile really good enough to get buyers at that price.

Again saying. Got a problem with him, stop doing business, jack up your prices and report the description thing to CS.

If he paid for it, it’s his work. All you can do either charge him more or refuse to work with him any longer. Fiverr is built on people outsourcing and reselling other peoples services. As is the world.

That said, you can add the words, “not for resale” to your gig descriptions and insist that in future, this person buys a commercial license from you if they want to sell your work as their own.

That said, you can add the words, “not for resale” to your gig descriptions and insist that in future, this person buys a commercial license from you if they want to sell your work as their own.

This. Also, it sounds like you haven’t ready Fiverr’s ToS legal section so I’d highly recommend it so you know what rights you have and are giving up when offering any service here on the Fiverr platform.

@saddu_writer Has it ever happened to you that the writer you choose isn’t a good match for your client, or doesn’t offer revisions, or offers limited revisions only, and then you have to look for a new one?

Many times. Not with the writing stuff, but with voice overs. One is really known VO artist with over thousand of reviews and I received a negative review because of that artist and one was on brink when a British forum friend told me whats wrong with that artist’s British accent. I stopped purchasing from that artist after that.

Many times. Not with the writing stuff, but with voice overs. One is really known VO artist with over thousand of reviews and I received a negative review because of that artist and one was on brink when a British forum friend told me whats wrong with that artist’s British accent. I stopped purchasing from that artist after that.

And then they say, outsourcing is easy, you pocket the money for someone else’s effort…

And then they say, outsourcing is easy, you pocket the money for someone else’s effort…

Thats the Sh*t I am explaining. One more thing, when you have to reorder the voice over ( the first one that took 3 days already ), you have to order it on express delivery as the buyer don’t care about how many days and bucks are wasted. All he cares is, he want his order on time with HIS choice of voice overs. Trust me, have done more than 200 gigs and happened to me most of the times.

So why not have some profit as well if you are taking risks like that. But only those will understand who do the outsourcing thing.

Also the your buyer and seller cannot be online at the same time which makes it more difficult to explain the project.

There must be, because the two of you use the same description, and yet his customers choose him over you.

Thats the point. To be able to have sales, he/she has to know the skill and maybe is better at sealing the deals. If that’s beneficial for both, then why fret.

We have the same level on Fiverr and I have more sales by about five times. There’s no jealousy on my part.

Then whats worrying you. Its just the prices that are your problem, right. So its not something that you are not allowed to do. Just jack them up as YOU deserve it more if that’s the case. ⬇️

We have the same level on Fiverr and I have more sales by about five times.

I see it as an opportunity when someone resell my work.
They do me free promotion and bring me extra money to the table.

For the kind of work I do, it’s 100% a good thing.

Otherwise, rise your price (still an opportunity, this seller opened your eyes to how much money your work worths).

To be honest he’s also a pain in the ass and I’ve asked him not to order from me before, as he couldn’t answer basic requirements (now I understand why - he doesn’t have the information). He’s continued to order from me anyway.

I think I’ll add a ‘not for resale’ clause like you suggest and contact him to change his description. Thanks everyone.

I think it a matter for you to discuss with Fiverr directly, as asking all of us will unleash a barrage of different and opinions that may not be pertinent to your case, and they may not be in line with the terms of service.

I wish you success, and send regards from Cancun!

Andy

Personally, I don’t care when other Fiverr (or non-Fiverr) providers resell my work. I am pleased with my quotes and my earning and if someone else can profit from my work too then good for them.

Contractor - middle men - client … It is a win win win situation.

I receive a new project from middle men for which he takes his/hers share and the client gets what he/she wanted. I would take this deal any day.

Thats the Sh*t I am explaining. One more thing, when you have to reorder the voice over ( the first one that took 3 days already ), you have to order it on express delivery as the buyer don’t care about how many days and bucks are wasted. All he cares is, he want his order on time with HIS choice of voice overs. Trust me, have done more than 200 gigs and happened to me most of the times.

So why not have some profit as well if you are taking risks like that. But only those will understand who do the outsourcing thing.

Also the your buyer and seller cannot be online at the same time which makes it more difficult to explain the project.

One more thing, when you have to reorder the voice over ( the first one that took 3 days already ), you have to order it on express delivery as the buyer don’t care about how many days and bucks are wasted.

I’ve seen that a few times. A reseller buys voice over from me. I don’t do free revisions, but they offer “unlimited” or something crazy like that.

Then a couple are upset when I won’t record an alternate version for them, because someone wants something different. In my mind that’s something they have to deal with, and I’m a quality choice, not the cheap one. That’s part of their minor risk. (I clearly spell out my policy before and during their order.)

If I make a mistake, I’ll redo it free… but not if they just want a change after recording.

In other words, the resellers have to be sure they match their offering with the people who they are buying from. They take some risk ordering from me (or any outsourcing), although it’s minimal from me. I’ve already done over 3,000 gigs and have a huge set who buy and resell my VO as part of their total package.

Most of the time it works great, but the re-sellers take some risk so they deserve whatever they can get in terms of margin on the sale. If they sell my voice for double, more power to them.

I do agree IF someone took my description word for word, I wouldn’t be happy with that, but overall if that’s my biggest problem, I’m feeling good.

Archived