No more seller percentage rating

jonbaas

CS says they differ between ‘good and bad cancellations’. Which means, they ‘weight’ cancellations in some way.
That can’t be, at least not fully, an automated process, for example if buyer cancels for reason A but seller says it was reason Z, someone would have to decide which is the truth there and weight the cancellation accordingly.

Since they knew about Ryan’s special situation with that mountain of orders in just one day, I imagine they might just have been nice and decided to not weight the batch of cancellations related to that, at all, or not much.

‘Someone just stuck it there’ sounds pretty reasonable too, though 😉 if now for being new, or perhaps as the result of weighting those cancellations as good ones - after all, he got loads of orders, good thing, or they took his ‘history’ and overall success into account; in a similar case, the seller might get a different weighting person or the same in a bad mood, or the seller might have had really bad complaints on their 3 strikes list or something and the weighter might say ‘too bad, should have set your queue limit lower’ and the gig will drop like a stone.

Anyhow I don’t see why Fiverr would want to penalise Ryan for having a successful gig and having had the ‘bad’ luck of for some reason everyone deciding to order it on the same day.

The ranking for my gig is still on the first page of my category under ‘recommended’. I mean, it isn’t now as I just unpaused it, but it will be later on today.

My cancellation rate for the past 2 months is something like 12%

If it is not the number of orders completed, it is the conversion rate. On some days, I have a conversion rate of up to 60%. This means that my gig is earning more money for Fiverr than others on the list.

If it is not the number of orders completed, it is the conversion rate. On some days, I have a conversion rate of up to 60%. This means that my gig is earning more money for Fiverr than others on the list.

See, now a strong conversion rate I can agree with. I have no doubt that that stat would be rightly benefiting your gig. To be honest, THIS may be the reason why your gig – with so many negative reviews lately – is still performing so well.

See, now a strong conversion rate I can agree with. I have no doubt that that stat would be rightly benefiting your gig. To be honest, THIS may be the reason why your gig – with so many negative reviews lately – is still performing so well.

I just hope you can keep this up indefinitely at this pace in case this is permanent.

I just hope you can keep this up indefinitely at this pace in case this is permanent.

I should be able to. I am still a bit behind, but it is improving. Once I stop being behind, then it should be simple. I should (hopefully) stop being behind within 4 days.

The only reason it caused issues was because I had that mass of orders placed when my gig had a 1-day delivery time frame PLUS I had other writing work on the go (I am committed to one person for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week)

CS says they differ between ‘good and bad cancellations’. Which means, they ‘weight’ cancellations in some way.

That can’t be, at least not fully, an automated process, for example if buyer cancels for reason A but seller says it was reason Z, someone would have to decide which is the truth there and weight the cancellation accordingly.

Since they knew about Ryan’s special situation with that mountain of orders in just one day, I imagine they might just have been nice and decided to not weight the batch of cancellations related to that, at all, or not much.

‘Someone just stuck it there’ sounds pretty reasonable too, though 😉 if now for being new, or perhaps as the result of weighting those cancellations as good ones - after all, he got loads of orders, good thing, or they took his ‘history’ and overall success into account; in a similar case, the seller might get a different weighting person or the same in a bad mood, or the seller might have had really bad complaints on their 3 strikes list or something and the weighter might say ‘too bad, should have set your queue limit lower’ and the gig will drop like a stone.

Anyhow I don’t see why Fiverr would want to penalise Ryan for having a successful gig and having had the ‘bad’ luck of for some reason everyone deciding to order it on the same day.

Under normal conditions, as much as I hate to say this, the 64 negative “did not deliver on time” reviews in the past two months (which may not necessarily have been something Ryan could avoid at the time) should rightly kill any gig for 60 days. It does for other sellers and poor gigs. After all, a 1-star review is downright terrible – let alone 64 of them!

However, you do have a point, perhaps Fiverr made special considerations for that gig since it had so many sudden sales, and was proving to be so popular. After all, Fiverr likes to make money too – and they’re enjoying a bit of a windfall from Ryan’s gig at the moment as well.

It sounds like Ryan’s gig might be a special case, though, and I caution others reading this not to view his gig as the norm, or the standard by which to compare other gigs. Ryan’s gig situation is NOT standard. Not at all. Not if we take Fiverr and their official stats/rating commentary as truth. Ryan’s gig is breaking many of the requirements and benchmarks for a good, standard gig, and should be ranked poorly on those broken elements alone.

Yet, for reasons we may not fully know, it is still gaining sales. And for that, I am happy to congratulate @ryangillam . Somehow, some way, he has transcended the norm with that gig. He might as well ride the wave while he can. Once – if – those sales disappear, I wouldn’t be surprised if reality starts to settle in (not that I relish that happening, just stating a likelihood).

Under normal conditions, as much as I hate to say this, the 64 negative “did not deliver on time” reviews in the past two months (which may not necessarily have been something Ryan could avoid at the time) should rightly kill any gig for 60 days. It does for other sellers and poor gigs. After all, a 1-star review is downright terrible – let alone 64 of them!

However, you do have a point, perhaps Fiverr made special considerations for that gig since it had so many sudden sales, and was proving to be so popular. After all, Fiverr likes to make money too – and they’re enjoying a bit of a windfall from Ryan’s gig at the moment as well.

It sounds like Ryan’s gig might be a special case, though, and I caution others reading this not to view his gig as the norm, or the standard by which to compare other gigs. Ryan’s gig situation is NOT standard. Not at all. Not if we take Fiverr and their official stats/rating commentary as truth. Ryan’s gig is breaking many of the requirements and benchmarks for a good, standard gig, and should be ranked poorly on those broken elements alone.

Yet, for reasons we may not fully know, it is still gaining sales. And for that, I am happy to congratulate @ryangillam . Somehow, some way, he has transcended the norm with that gig. He might as well ride the wave while he can. Once – if – those sales disappear, I wouldn’t be surprised if reality starts to settle in (not that I relish that happening, just stating a likelihood).

So that gives credence to the idea that his was hand picked for that placement since he offers so much for so little. It is a very tempting offer and his writing is fantastic.

So that gives credence to the idea that his was hand picked for that placement since he offers so much for so little. It is a very tempting offer and his writing is fantastic.

Makes much sense to me, Fiverr states that somewhere, gigs awing people that they can get something of value for a low price.

Obviously they’ll cherish gigs that get high average prices too, but those often come with long delivery times and low number of total reviews of course, and don’t shine as much as gigs with impressive numbers of reviews.

It could certainly have been the reason; I don’t see why not; it makes reasonable sense given the normal gig success metrics we are all aware of. We’ll never know for certain, though, unless Fiverr staff chooses to state anything publicly.

Just as a bit of a side note (sorry!) which shows that it is based on gig deliveries, somewhat.

I get stuck in position 6 on the front page (the 6th position after the featured gigs). No matter how many times you refesh the page, the other gigs will move but mine will not. If I deliver a gig, My placement changes. It starts to move about the ‘recommended’ section. Never outside of the top six. If I do not deliver for an hour or two, it falls back into 6th place and stays there until I deliver again. It is very odd.

Of course, the @ryangillam tangent aside, this topic is about the seller percentage no longer being public, not a unique case of a specific gig that is performing well, so… I think we should probably bring this topic back around to it’s originally intended discussion. 😉

True. So, does the change from percentage to stars benefit Ryan, or not? ;p

I don’t have strong feelings about it other than that I find the stars instead of percentage nicer to look at.

What I find the most useful thing about this UI change is that I can see right away now where the gigs of people I know/are in a thread are, when we’re discussing the algorithm and I have a look to see where they are ranking/if their gig shows up for me. 😉

[details=OT musing on a comment from Ryan and Miss Crystal]"… is odd." Together with Miss Crystal’s observation that another gig of hers she recently delivered on took the other’s position,

this makes me wonder if you have a kind of fixed position as seller per se, and then some, depending on a gig’s latest stats/performance. [/details]

True. So, does the change from percentage to stars benefit Ryan, or not? ;p

I don’t have strong feelings about it other than that I find the stars instead of percentage nicer to look at.

What I find the most useful thing about this UI change is that I can see right away now where the gigs of people I know/are in a thread are, when we’re discussing the algorithm and I have a look to see where they are ranking/if their gig shows up for me. 😉

[details=OT musing on a comment from Ryan and Miss Crystal]"… is odd." Together with Miss Crystal’s observation that another gig of hers she recently delivered on took the other’s position,

this makes me wonder if you have a kind of fixed position as seller per se, and then some, depending on a gig’s latest stats/performance. [/details]

So, does the change from percentage to stars benefit Ryan, or not?

I think it probably benefits everyone, because the scale is much smaller, and more equaling in nature.

I was on the first page of articles and blog posts for most of my first two years. Those were days when my delivered on time ratio was under 50% and I used to do 100 or more orders a month, most of them $5 or $10 or $15 orders. I also had a high cancellation rate. My delivery time was under 10 days. Now, I am a Fiverr veteran, a TRS, and worked hard to achieve high delivered on time, high order completion, high response time - all in the high 90s, 2500 reviews, mostly positive, rarely get negative reviews, and rated at 99% or 5 stars. My average order is $100+ as most of them are custom orders from old clients. But I’m on the 4th page for articles and blog posts under “avg. customer review” and 2nd page under “recommendation”. Well, if I wanted to complain, I would, but strangely I am relieved. Am tired because of all the non-stop work. Will appreciate some rest, and then will get back in full flow later by offering quick delivery time of 3 days or less, maybe 4-5 months from now.

• 1 year later...

Archived