What to tell clients when they don't like your work?

Absolutely, this situation can happen regarding any gig but especially subjective ones.

I wouldn’t suggest that they could order again to be honest. If they have already made up their mind that could be like a slap in the face.

Again, I would simply ensure you explain your suggestions/delivery to them. Some people skim over things like I said and particularly when they have paid a low price they might not give it much value - its all about perception.

If you had this buyer as a client offline, charged them $250, brought them to your office, gave them coffee and a danish, spent an hour talking about their pets/kids/business goals and then gave a 30 minute talk about the reason for the very same tagline then they would have a very different opinion about your service.

They still may not like it but they will have perceived there to be more value in the service despite essentially paying $235 more to get a coffee, danish and a chat.

Some clients are not suited to buying online and need to be schmoozed a little bit. They want an “experience” rather than a service. Give them as close as you can to it by using my “Communicating Value” tips.

Some clients are not suited to buying online and need to be schmoozed a little bit.

Yes they like some gentle discussion about it. Fortunately it helps if you are a natural schmoozer.

Some clients are not suited to buying online and need to be schmoozed a little bit.

Yes they like some gentle discussion about it. Fortunately it helps if you are a natural schmoozer.

In the end I agreed to make revisions after getting a 3-day extension. Even though he gave me 4.5 stars, I’m happy with the result. I got to make $16, and I admit I delivered better work by revising.

In the end I agreed to make revisions after getting a 3-day extension. Even though he gave me 4.5 stars, I’m happy with the result. I got to make $16, and I admit I delivered better work by revising.

Great stuff!

Such a different outcome than what could have been expected - went from “don’t try again” to 4.5 star review.

Two days I had a client that requested 5 revisions, that’s the limit on my gigs, and after that he didn’t want to pay for the revision and he demanded a refund, but since I’ve got in a long conversation with him he started to threaten, how the amount that he paid for the order should be refunded. I said to him that he should value my time and that I don’t any money back guarantee (tip by @eoinfinnegan) but he was persistent, he even said “I earn a lot more than you, and I can just throw that money at you, but I ain’t giving nothing for a shitty service”. I didn’t know what to do with him, so I offered him cancellation as I was really tired and it was too late in my country.

I even forgot to report him to CS, which I shoul do.

Two days I had a client that requested 5 revisions, that’s the limit on my gigs, and after that he didn’t want to pay for the revision and he demanded a refund, but since I’ve got in a long conversation with him he started to threaten, how the amount that he paid for the order should be refunded. I said to him that he should value my time and that I don’t any money back guarantee (tip by @eoinfinnegan) but he was persistent, he even said “I earn a lot more than you, and I can just throw that money at you, but I ain’t giving nothing for a shitty service”. I didn’t know what to do with him, so I offered him cancellation as I was really tired and it was too late in my country.

but I ain’t giving nothing for a shitty service".

I’d report anyone who used profanity to me.

"I earn a lot more than you, and I can just throw that money at you

If he’s earning so much money, then why is he being such a cheapskate? You should have done what Woofy does and given him the screenshot of the disclosure he checked.

What a piece of :cheese:

Once a buyer makes threats or becomes insulting I suggest you send a final message saying that you are sorry that they are unhappy but that you are not going to respond again and that if they make any further threats or are abusive again then you will have to report them to customer service.

They may come back and be more reasonable or they may not and you can choose to engage again or else just ignore and report them.

At the same time, I understand that sometimes it may save your time and headaches just to cancel and forget about it.

but I ain’t giving nothing for a shitty service".

I’d report anyone who used profanity to me.

"I earn a lot more than you, and I can just throw that money at you

If he’s earning so much money, then why is he being such a cheapskate? You should have done what Woofy does and given him the screenshot of the disclosure he checked.

What a piece of :cheese:

@gig_freak

given him the screenshot of the disclosure he checked.

👍

Great stuff!

Such a different outcome than what could have been expected - went from “don’t try again” to 4.5 star review.

Thank you, last year 10%-21% of my orders were ending in refunds. This year, I’m between 8% and 14%. I’m starting to understand that the refund option shouldn’t be the first option when a buyer is difficult.

I admire your patience. My personal limit is two revisions, and by the time they demand a second revision, they need to have a good explanation of what they want, otherwise I’m not bothering.

I admire your patience. My personal limit is two revisions, and by the time they demand a second revision, they need to have a good explanation of what they want, otherwise I’m not bothering.

Usually, most of the clients ask for simple revisions like changing the text or the color of something, those are simple modifications, but for aholes like the client I had two days ago, he kept asking for making the design simple yet luxury which was done. He then requested I want the logo to look like “White logo on the leather seat of a Lambo” and I did that exactly, and I told him that if he wants a change after that he should pay, and of course he requested a mutual cancellation.

Oh, I do admire the patience I had two years ago by offering unlimited revisions, that’s like a magnet for the worst clients you can think of. I don’t know what made me offer that, plus on the top of my gig description in bold was written “Unlimited revisions and Money Back Guaranteed” that’s the worst thing you can do for your gig.

In your service the modifications are a lot harder process than in mine, but I should definitely put only 1 revision in my basic package.

Usually, most of the clients ask for simple revisions like changing the text or the color of something, those are simple modifications, but for aholes like the client I had two days ago, he kept asking for making the design simple yet luxury which was done. He then requested I want the logo to look like “White logo on the leather seat of a Lambo” and I did that exactly, and I told him that if he wants a change after that he should pay, and of course he requested a mutual cancellation.

Oh, I do admire the patience I had two years ago by offering unlimited revisions, that’s like a magnet for the worst clients you can think of. I don’t know what made me offer that, plus on the top of my gig description in bold was written “Unlimited revisions and Money Back Guaranteed” that’s the worst thing you can do for your gig.

In your service the modifications are a lot harder process than in mine, but I should definitely put only 1 revision in my basic package.

Absolutely, you’re an artist, changes for you aren’t an issue of changing a word or rewriting a sentence but a major undertaking.

If you ever get a message from a client that isn’t sure about the text, refer them to a copywriter because the worst thing in the world is changing artwork over text.

The creative process should always be idea-copy-art. It’s shocking how many people will order a logo without knowing what to call their company. I don’t do logos, but sometimes a client will show me a t-shirt design and say “write a headline I can put on this t-shirt.” That’s hard as hell. It’s a lot easier to be told that the t-shirt will be about eagles and write headlines for that, then my client can hire a designer.

Either way, reduce your number of revisions to 1 and see if orders fall. I don’t think they will, I think most people realize that time is precious and they don’t want to waste days or weeks with endless revision requests.

Absolutely, you’re an artist, changes for you aren’t an issue of changing a word or rewriting a sentence but a major undertaking.

If you ever get a message from a client that isn’t sure about the text, refer them to a copywriter because the worst thing in the world is changing artwork over text.

The creative process should always be idea-copy-art. It’s shocking how many people will order a logo without knowing what to call their company. I don’t do logos, but sometimes a client will show me a t-shirt design and say “write a headline I can put on this t-shirt.” That’s hard as hell. It’s a lot easier to be told that the t-shirt will be about eagles and write headlines for that, then my client can hire a designer.

Either way, reduce your number of revisions to 1 and see if orders fall. I don’t think they will, I think most people realize that time is precious and they don’t want to waste days or weeks with endless revision requests.

I hate when I see “Modification request” notification.

You are right about the process it’s always, idea-copy-art. I don’t know if happened to you, but there are some clients who will order the best package that you have and write I don’t have logo nor photos, please wait for me and they disappear, the order gets late, they don’t reply to the disputes. It sucks.

In the most cases, I don’t get more than one or two modification requests, but I should definitely do the tweak and lower my number of revisions to only one in the basic package.

I hate when I see “Modification request” notification.

You are right about the process it’s always, idea-copy-art. I don’t know if happened to you, but there are some clients who will order the best package that you have and write I don’t have logo nor photos, please wait for me and they disappear, the order gets late, they don’t reply to the disputes. It sucks.

In the most cases, I don’t get more than one or two modification requests, but I should definitely do the tweak and lower my number of revisions to only one in the basic package.

For me it only happens with the t-shirts. In the offline world, it only happened with one art director I used to work with. The guy didn’t like me, but had great ideas, the only problem was his ideas needed a lot of copy. One time we were selling a car that “sees” in 360 degrees so you don’t bump into things. He wanted the car in the middle of the page, small, surrounded by fake news about all the objects around the car that didn’t get hit. It looks a lot better than it sounds, my point is I had a to write a lot of copy, and that’s usually not my style.

Here on Fiverr I don’t have those issues. I have different issues, like we all do.

For me it only happens with the t-shirts. In the offline world, it only happened with one art director I used to work with. The guy didn’t like me, but had great ideas, the only problem was his ideas needed a lot of copy. One time we were selling a car that “sees” in 360 degrees so you don’t bump into things. He wanted the car in the middle of the page, small, surrounded by fake news about all the objects around the car that didn’t get hit. It looks a lot better than it sounds, my point is I had a to write a lot of copy, and that’s usually not my style.

Here on Fiverr I don’t have those issues. I have different issues, like we all do.

Yep, it’s like running a business, you can’t skip the issues.

Well, obviously they’re rude and probably trying to get free work. If they try to cancel, quote the TOS. In there, you can find where it says:

A) No refund will be given (no matter what) until the seller is given the chance to revise the work.
B) No order is eligible for cancellation if it was completed as per the gig description

Before it gets to that point:
Tell them your ultimate goal is to have a satisfied customer and you’d like to hear their feedback so you can improve 🙂

Hi, When you deliver your work then just add these sentences. Kindly modify your these sentences according to your requirment.

“Please feel free to leave your 5 Star feedback for my future on fiverr – your kind ratings help my gigs thrive!” which is true! 🙂 Blessings!

But don’t worry I will provide all needed modification here.”
need similar work done.

Thanks for your order!

• 2 weeks later...

What to tell clients when they don’t like your work?

Answer:

Me (Tarzan): +1.200 positive reviews

You (Jane): first time buying my Gig

Either the style of my work is not fitting your expectations or you have higher ones than all my +1.600 earlier clients.

Statistically you’re the one who belongs to the small part that avoids my percentual to be 100% positive which is logic and realistic.

It happens, I cannot make everybody happy, I’m not Santa, dude 🎅 hahaha

Hi, When you deliver your work then just add these sentences. Kindly modify your these sentences according to your requirment.

“Please feel free to leave your 5 Star feedback for my future on fiverr – your kind ratings help my gigs thrive!” which is true! 🙂 Blessings!

But don’t worry I will provide all needed modification here.”

need similar work done.

Thanks for your order!

Well, the problem with that is that some clients might give you 5 stars and then demand a revision, which they can’t do with the revision button because the order is already complete. This gives unscrupulous sellers an opportunity to not do revisions, although they’ll probably get in trouble with Fiverr since customers will complain.

• 8 months later...

Archived