For Successful Fiverr Sellers/Freelancers (Writers Only)

bernieeata

Hi Fellow Fiverr Friends! Thanks for opening up my topic.

Basically, I am looking to gain inspiration from personal stories on how you came to be successful through Fiverr/Freelance writing.

For this topic, successful refers to being able to generate a sustainable income. An income that you can pay your rent, bills, groceries, etc. & spend on recreational activities, too. Kind of a lame definition of success, but I feel if you are able to live off of the income you make from freelancing, that’s pretty successful to me. (& I know expenses can vary from person to person, so let’s say an income of $1k-4k? That’s a wide range… I’m sort of rambling here lol.)

My story (as I do plan on becoming successful & generating a sustainable income eventually) is that I am a recent graduate who is unemployed, knows she doesn’t want to work as a typical employee, and crazy enough to pursue freelance writing fulltime. I am currently learning about freelance writing as I work to gain experience and build my portfolio. There are still many things I do not know about this field that I am currently navigating with Fiverr. I do plan on broadening my writing services through other platforms, but I feel Fiverr is my best bet for now, being completely fresh & new to freelancing.

Thanks for your input & responses. Feel free to leave advice/comments/questions regarding anything related.

I think I’m qualified to answer. I offer writing, though my main gig is editing 🙂. I joined a couple years ago on a whim, and I now do it full-time ($3k - $4k)

My biggest tip: have savings! The general rule–no matter what you do–is six months of living expenses. But start somewhere and build it up as you go along. Fiverr is constantly changing their algorithm, and having all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, always equates to some level of risk.

I got started with nothing. Some new sellers make their friends and family buy gigs so they can get reviews. I just used the buyer requests to my advantage. I also got lucky, a TRS proofreader was overloaded with work. Somehow they found me (new gigs get a boost in search) and sent some clients my way.

Fiverr is a wonderful community. It will take some time to get started, but you can make it. Excellent customer service and excellent work will persevere. Make sure you have a shining portfolio for clients to look at, and respond to messages in a super friendly (and fast) way.

Surprisingly, some sellers on here have a canned response to messages because they think it’s a waste of time. With writing, it’s understandable that people may want to gauge your level of skill before ordering. They may also have a large project or something specific they want to discuss.

Good luck 🙂

Joined Fiverr 2 years ago, started being active a year ago and since then I’ve come a long way. Since I come from Pakistan we’re pretty much always in need of extra “finances” so in all honesty I needed money and fast.

I started working for this Fiverr seller on Facebook who was paying 35% of what he got on an order even with me doing all the work. This lasted for about a year in which I pretty much did all kinds of work ranging from amazon product listing to writing the dirtiest and kinkiest erotica’s of all time (so I like to think).

Finally, after I was done being the scrub I decided to finally take Fiverr seriously and in almost one year from then I’ve got over 500 completed orders and am managing to earn enough to support my entire family of 6.

Things went bad on new years eve when my dad came down with a heart attack and my life hit the fan but I had my priorities straight. I now had to carry the finances of the entire family.

That was almost 4 months ago and since then I’ve managed to not support only myself but have managed to support my family, pay the bills, lease a car (BAD IDEA IM IN DEBT NOW) and keep my parents happy!

The only advice I have for you is that no matter what happens, whether someone you know is in a bad state or you’re just tired or depressed or both, work always takes priority if you want to succeed. And don’t lease a car ITS A BAD IDEA

Don’t quit your dayjob. No artist should quit their dayjob until that lottery ticket falls from the sky. When I began to write seriously as a playwright, I made changes to my work/life balance to make sure my writing hours were my golden hours. I write in the morning when I am fresh. I have one strong cup of coffee and I get to work.

It is a great idea to build your resume. I have been here 2 and 1/2 years. It took me time to build a reputation and get involved to the point I fall in your range of income per month. I have a full-time job, and can not see being a full-time freelancer living in the United States. Cost of living, health insurance, taxes, saving, saving for retirement, and all your bills fall on you. If you can not work, your business slows. I admire your gusto. You will need multiple sources of income to achieve your goals, and there is no magic bullet to making money online. There are a lot of places where people will try to suck your money from you to sell you on a great money making Idea. Be careful. What you are thinking of doing can be tiring.
I do not want to tell you what to do. I do not know the full extent of your situation. All I know is if I tried this out of college, I would have feel flat on my face because I would not have had the life or business experience needed to succed.

I think I’m over qualified to answer LOL 🙂

If you want to succeed, all you have to do is to offer an excellent service and strive to make your customers 100% satisfied with your work. You may not receive orders in first few days, but later, you will receive some orders. Make sure to create as many gig as possible with some variations depending on your expertise and needs of your target market. You can also promote your gig in the New Gigs section. Sending offers for Buyer Requests is also a good move to get some orders. One of the most important things is to keep in touch because if you get an ordered cancelled in first few weeks (or if you receive negative feedback), it has a significant impact on your ratings. Fiverr is the best place to work!

Good luck!
Dan

@sydneymorgan Definitely working on saving, as Fiverr is currently my only source of income, barely 😭 Although they are for low pay, I can honestly say I love writing blogs/articles on the random topics that client’s need. I learn something new everyday.
I am also focusing on providing quality content and awesome customer service, which isn’t hard for me. I know I will be noticed for my work someday. 😁
Also, what is a TRS proofreader?
Thank you for your response!

@ssj1236 how did you get yourself into writing erotica? Was this on Fiverr or some other online platform? I am asking because I know Fiverr has certain guidelines to the types of services sellers can provide, and I wonder if anyone has ever had any issues on Fiverr with this genre.
I am sorry about your dad but am very happy to hear that you turned it into a positive situation. You didn’t let that experience take you down and you grew very well from it! I am happy for you and your Fiverr success! (But sorry about that lease… You’ll be fine 😂)

@silberma1976 From what I’m understanding from you, patience is key. That’s understandable. & I do agree that it would probably be harder for us Americans because of the cost of living… Harder doesn’t mean impossible, though 😁 I might fall flat on my face because I do still have a lot to learn, but I’ll get up every time.

@wddweeras1 Thank you for your over qualified & helpful tips 🙂 I will be sure to take these with me on my journey to success!

@lucycodex You will get there! I believe in you! IN US! 🙂

@sydneymorgan Definitely working on saving, as Fiverr is currently my only source of income, barely 😭 Although they are for low pay, I can honestly say I love writing blogs/articles on the random topics that client’s need. I learn something new everyday.

I am also focusing on providing quality content and awesome customer service, which isn’t hard for me. I know I will be noticed for my work someday. 😁

@ssj1236 how did you get yourself into writing erotica? Was this on Fiverr or some other online platform? I am asking because I know Fiverr has certain guidelines to the types of services sellers can provide, and I wonder if anyone has ever had any issues on Fiverr with this genre.

I am sorry about your dad but am very happy to hear that you turned it into a positive situation. You didn’t let that experience take you down and you grew very well from it! I am happy for you and your Fiverr success! (But sorry about that lease… You’ll be fine 😂)

@silberma1976 From what I’m understanding from you, patience is key. That’s understandable. & I do agree that it would probably be harder for us Americans because of the cost of living… Harder doesn’t mean impossible, though 😁 I might fall flat on my face because I do still have a lot to learn, but I’ll get up every time.

@wddweeras1 Thank you for your over qualified & helpful tips 🙂 I will be sure to take these with me on my journey to success!

TRS stands for Top-Rated Seller (the highest honor on Fiverr :yum:)

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Agreed. I would love to just quit my job outright and live on my freelance revenue, but I refuse to put my husband and sister through that while I wait to earn enough.

But the more I earn, the less hours I am going to work at my day job

You might not know this but you can provide content for adult blogs, sites, novels, as long as isn’t any audio, picture, or video. Only text. I got confirmation for this from Fiverr Support 😃 Cause i still provide adult content.

Guest jenihiggs

Hey there 🙂 lol but I can’t write more than 30 pages (10k words) a day. I started by offering very low services to get a couple of jobs under my belt and then steadily raising them. I also think I do very well because I don’t negotiate with difficult clients. I have my prices and the services that I offer and I don’t make any exceptions. I get more inquiries than I could ever take on, so by being firm I deter difficult clients and end up taking on the professional and courteous clients. I also don’t offer free samples or do any work for free. This deters a lot of time wasters. Because I send time wasters packing so quickly, I can focus all of my time and energy on my wonderful and professional clients! I also charge per page instead of per word (a lot of customers have no idea how many words make up a page). I’m always professional and courteous, even when the client is rude. I had someone ask me for a free sample the other day and when I told him I do not offer free samples he replied “Are you a brainless hen…send me a free sample.” My response was this “I do not wish to work with you. Take your business elsewhere please.” I’ll never allow client bad behavior to dictate my own professionalism. Anyways, that’s all I’ve got! Ive been on Fiverr as a seller for only a couple of months and I’ve got all the work I want 🙂

Hey there 🙂 lol but I can’t write more than 30 pages (10k words) a day. I started by offering very low services to get a couple of jobs under my belt and then steadily raising them. I also think I do very well because I don’t negotiate with difficult clients. I have my prices and the services that I offer and I don’t make any exceptions. I get more inquiries than I could ever take on, so by being firm I deter difficult clients and end up taking on the professional and courteous clients. I also don’t offer free samples or do any work for free. This deters a lot of time wasters. Because I send time wasters packing so quickly, I can focus all of my time and energy on my wonderful and professional clients! I also charge per page instead of per word (a lot of customers have no idea how many words make up a page). I’m always professional and courteous, even when the client is rude. I had someone ask me for a free sample the other day and when I told him I do not offer free samples he replied “Are you a brainless hen…send me a free sample.” My response was this “I do not wish to work with you. Take your business elsewhere please.” I’ll never allow client bad behavior to dictate my own professionalism. Anyways, that’s all I’ve got! Ive been on Fiverr as a seller for only a couple of months and I’ve got all the work I want 🙂

Thank you so much for replying! I love your story because I feel that I’m currently at the stage of where you started, “offering very low services to get a couple jobs under my belt” and I do plan on steadily raising them hopefully in a couple months…

That is very good advice about difficult clients, time is very valuable when writing on Fiverr, or in general. It does seem like it’s best to focus your time and energy on better clients.

I can’t wait for the day I am able to tell my story to a noobie looking for advice in the future!

Thank you so much for replying! I love your story because I feel that I’m currently at the stage of where you started, “offering very low services to get a couple jobs under my belt” and I do plan on steadily raising them hopefully in a couple months…

That is very good advice about difficult clients, time is very valuable when writing on Fiverr, or in general. It does seem like it’s best to focus your time and energy on better clients.

I can’t wait for the day I am able to tell my story to a noobie looking for advice in the future!

Looking forward to it. Don’t worry it might take time but it’ll be worth it.

What a great post! Thank you for your insight. I hope to one day make a living wage on Fiverr.

• 3 years later...

Joined Fiverr 2 years ago, started being active a year ago and since then I’ve come a long way. Since I come from Pakistan we’re pretty much always in need of extra “finances” so in all honesty I needed money and fast.

I started working for this Fiverr seller on Facebook who was paying 35% of what he got on an order even with me doing all the work. This lasted for about a year in which I pretty much did all kinds of work ranging from amazon product listing to writing the dirtiest and kinkiest erotica’s of all time (so I like to think).

Finally, after I was done being the scrub I decided to finally take Fiverr seriously and in almost one year from then I’ve got over 500 completed orders and am managing to earn enough to support my entire family of 6.

Things went bad on new years eve when my dad came down with a heart attack and my life hit the fan but I had my priorities straight. I now had to carry the finances of the entire family.

That was almost 4 months ago and since then I’ve managed to not support only myself but have managed to support my family, pay the bills, lease a car (BAD IDEA IM IN DEBT NOW) and keep my parents happy!

The only advice I have for you is that no matter what happens, whether someone you know is in a bad state or you’re just tired or depressed or both, work always takes priority if you want to succeed. And don’t lease a car ITS A BAD IDEA

very good job, i like it

Archived