How to leave negative feedback for seller who requested cancellation

motiv8d1

You asked how to leave negative feedback after cancellation and CS answered your question.

My opinion did not come from blank assumptions but from a good understanding of how a company the size of Fiverr works. Do you really think a CS agent themselves has the authority to immediately close an account due to one complaint of poor quality work? If this was the case then the CS agents would have a hugely powerful job and frankly - that is not the job description I think of when I see CS. The complaint will have likely been forwarded to a higher authority (along with all the other issues that are reported) to be looked into and decided on. This takes time, especially when you consider the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of gigs sold per week and the fact that you were getting your money back would mean that it was not a high priority.

Perhaps they then looked at the forum threads I was also engaged in and thought they better do something finally.

As a moderator, I would love for staff to check the forum more often but I know they don’t. This point is a statement of fact, not an assumption.

The timing would certainly have the balance of probability with action being taken after the zero survey response.

No, it would be more likely for a decision to be made after more than 24 hours as I explained above.

But yet you complain that… what exactly?That this platform is too difficult for a buyer to use and obtain a reasonable service as specified from a seller without complaining.

I disagree, I have bought over 160 times and had a handful of cancellations, all others were great. The issue here is not the site but the fact that you wanted top quality at a bargain basement price and instant responses to everything you ask for. That is a lot of demands - especially for someone who has not actually spent any money on the site! As I said, if you want bargain basement prices you need to be prepared to dig through the rubbish a bit. Same on any platform or any discount store really.

Fiverr works for me because I know the value of people’s work and I know how to choose someone properly. I don’t ever require someone to do something in such a short period of time although if I did, I would pay them properly for their instant assistance. Very few things on Fiverr are off the shelf and a lot of the gigs are subjective so it is important for buyers to do their homework on a seller before ordering. Having a realistic budget is also important though and trying to get anyone to do 2 hours work + modifications, on the spot, to earn less than you pay for a coffee is simply not realistic.

Sure, the seller was idiotic to agree but you need to manage your expectations too otherwise you will continue to work with idiots.

Finally, for someone with a humanitarian startup in Africa, I find it odd that you seem completely nonplussed (and somewhat self-satisfied) that “some guy in Pakistan” has just lost his income as a result of your complaint.

humanitarian startup in Africa

Oh! That explains a lot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou so much for your condescension.

It is actually a humanitarian startup with very limited capital to help those in Africa.

But sure if you want only well funded people to be humanitarians, you make think whatever you like.

Work in a vector program does not require a degree in computer science.

The logo was quite simple and I will probably do it myself now, however, as my time is very limited in attempting to get this humanitarian project running, I hoped to delegate this to someone that could do the work.

Is there not quality checks on someone calling themselves a pro on fiverr?

Why is there not provision to report a users work that is so clearly not “pro” standard, misses deadlines, and does not remotely provide that which was requested, eg: jpg instead of vector file.

Perhaps this seller, whos name has been replaced with ****************, does not even know what vector applications are? It would certainly fit with the supplied jpg.

And if that is the case, then he should not be allowed by fiver to advertise as he did for the job:

1 Logo Included

Include Source File

Logo Transparency

Printable Resolution File

Include 3D Mockup

Include Stationery Designs

Include Social Media Kit

Vector File

unlimited Revisions

This is my first experience with fiverr and so far it seems way too easy for sellers to abuse it.

I presume then if I accepted the offer from the seller to cancel, then the job is returned to the queue and there is no black marks against the seller, despite the above obvious problems from him.

If I decline. I presume then that I can force him to complete the work as requested?

And if he does nothing that the project will automatically close with the work being uncompleted at least leaving a bad mark for him.

Can someone please clarify the sequence of options for these scenarios? Thanks

I will probably do it myself now, however, as my time is very limited

I feel like there’s a chance this isn’t entirely accurate…

• 4 weeks later...

So, after reading the whole thread, I’ve reached to a conclusion that will keep me far far away from Fiverr as a buyer:

1. Seller’s reviews are not to be relied on, as are artificially raised and maintained up by allowing only successful sells reviews and bad sales reviews for which the buyer agreed to pay to leave the bad review.
  2. It’s ok for the seller to advertise that he will provide a certain amount of services, but it’s generally accepted that the buyer will only rarely receive what the gig description promise.
  3. Gig descriptions and seller’s qualifications are full of lies and it’s your task as a buyer either to guess which gig/seller is a lie and which is not, because negative reviews are not allowed (unless you pay), either to take the gamble when buying a gig (a gamble either way, actually). So you can’t even investigate, only guess.
  4. Lots of sellers are not qualified for the skills they advertise and, inherently, the results will definitely be crappy.
  5. Fiverr policy: take your money back and shut up.

I spend a few thousands of dollars a year on outsourcing, most of the time on Freelancer and Upwork, and I was suggested of cutting the losses a bit on the cheaper Fiverr. I’ve bought 3 gigs mostly to try it out. One good result, one crappy result, and one no result. I reached this thread in my attempt to leave a bad review to the no-result gig while accepting the gig canceling and refund, but I see now that will not be possible. All you can do is point 5: take your money back and shut up.

Until Fiverr staff realizes how important negative reviews are, for me Fiverr will remain an utterly unreliable platform on which I can’t risk my time and money.

So, after reading the whole thread, I’ve reached to a conclusion that will keep me far far away from Fiverr as a buyer:

1. Seller’s reviews are not to be relied on, as are artificially raised and maintained up by allowing only successful sells reviews and bad sales reviews for which the buyer agreed to pay to leave the bad review.
  2. It’s ok for the seller to advertise that he will provide a certain amount of services, but it’s generally accepted that the buyer will only rarely receive what the gig description promise.
  3. Gig descriptions and seller’s qualifications are full of lies and it’s your task as a buyer either to guess which gig/seller is a lie and which is not, because negative reviews are not allowed (unless you pay), either to take the gamble when buying a gig (a gamble either way, actually). So you can’t even investigate, only guess.
  4. Lots of sellers are not qualified for the skills they advertise and, inherently, the results will definitely be crappy.

I spend a few thousands of dollars a year on outsourcing, most of the time on Freelancer and Upwork, and I was suggested of cutting the losses a bit on the cheaper Fiverr. I’ve bought 3 gigs mostly to try it out. One good result, one crappy result, and one no result. I reached this thread in my attempt to leave a bad review to the no-result gig while accepting the gig canceling and refund, but I see now that will not be possible. All you can do is point 5: take your money back and shut up.

Until Fiverr staff realizes how important negative reviews are, for me Fiverr will remain an utterly unreliable platform on which I can’t risk my time and money.

Personally, I think some of your judgements are about right and others are way off the mark. Your points are understood, but are partly based on reality, partly on some practices that happened on Fiverr in it’s earlier startup days, and partly on the words of buyers who gambled on extreme bargains and didn’t like the clearance bin quality. There are sellers here who provide premium quality and there are others who do not. The ones who don’t are now being weeding out by new policies put in place to do that. Yes, it will take time and no vetting process will be 100% effective.

It doesn’t bother me if you prefer other platforms, but I do think you’ll lose some chances to get great deliveries here. I started as a buyer, became a seller, and still buy when I need something. It’s works out pretty well with a little time to move the lower quality products to the side.

Personally, I think some of your judgements are about right and others are way off the mark. Your points are understood, but are partly based on reality, partly on some practices that happened on Fiverr in it’s earlier startup days, and partly on the words of buyers who gambled on extreme bargains and didn’t like the clearance bin quality. There are sellers here who provide premium quality and there are others who do not. The ones who don’t are now being weeding out by new policies put in place to do that. Yes, it will take time and no vetting process will be 100% effective.

It doesn’t bother me if you prefer other platforms, but I do think you’ll lose some chances to get great deliveries here. I started as a buyer, became a seller, and still buy when I need something. It’s works out pretty well with a little time to move the lower quality products to the side.

The fact that I can’t see bad reviews (or canceled gigs) and their proportion relative to good reviews suggests me that the only way I can move the lower quality products to the side is by trial and error. And I can’t afford to invest time and money into trial and error. Bad reviews are incredibly important for any business, both for solving issues and improving services. I’m sure that Fiverr puts the bad reviews that THEY get to good use, but preventing the users to do the same is not fair. Both sellers and buyers should be able to receive publicly visible good and bad reviews, based on which (and the cancelations - also visible) the user’s score should be calculated. Every user should be able to see who his business partner really is. This lack of transparency doesn’t make me reconsider.

I agree with some of what you said, particularly about reviews, and all of what @fonthaunt said above.

It really should be noted that the OP here was paying $5 for someone to create a vectored original logo within 2 hours of ordering. Let’s be honest here - Who would take on such a job? Only someone desperate and unqualified. If it sounds too good to be true then it almost always is, whether here, on UpWork, Freelancer or anywhere else.

The issue here is not the site but the fact that they wanted top quality at a bargain basement price and instant responses to everything they asked for. If you want bargain basement prices you need to be prepared to dig through the rubbish a bit. Same on any platform or any discount store really.

Fiverr works for me because I know the value of people’s work and I know how to choose someone properly. I don’t ever require someone to do something in such a short period of time although if I did, I would pay them properly for their instant assistance. Very few things on Fiverr are off the shelf and a lot of the gigs are subjective so it is important for buyers to do their homework on a seller before ordering. Having a realistic budget is also important though and trying to get anyone to do 2 hours work + modifications, on the spot, to earn less than you pay for a coffee is simply not realistic.

Sure, the seller was idiotic to agree but buyers need to manage their expectations too otherwise they will only work with idiots.

If you have a need for a regular service, I suggest you try out a couple of sellers with small orders, see how they go and pick the one that works best for you. It will save you an awful lot of money in the medium - long term. I’m speaking as someone who buys a lot here and spends similar amounts to what you mention per year. I reckon I save 40-60% on the prices I used to pay elsewhere.

I agree with some of what you said, particularly about reviews, and all of what @fonthaunt said above.

It really should be noted that the OP here was paying $5 for someone to create a vectored original logo within 2 hours of ordering. Let’s be honest here - Who would take on such a job? Only someone desperate and unqualified. If it sounds too good to be true then it almost always is, whether here, on UpWork, Freelancer or anywhere else.

The issue here is not the site but the fact that they wanted top quality at a bargain basement price and instant responses to everything they asked for. If you want bargain basement prices you need to be prepared to dig through the rubbish a bit. Same on any platform or any discount store really.

Sure, the seller was idiotic to agree but buyers need to manage their expectations too otherwise they will only work with idiots.

If you have a need for a regular service, I suggest you try out a couple of sellers with small orders, see how they go and pick the one that works best for you. It will save you an awful lot of money in the medium - long term. I’m speaking as someone who buys a lot here and spends similar amounts to what you mention per year. I reckon I save 40-60% on the prices I used to pay elsewhere.

I agree on the fact that neither platform is ideal, but it seems to me that Fiverr, because it’s lack of transparency, requires the most amount of time to get used to and stay on top of the situation.

Since you mentioned the OP’s gig, and since I am a bit familiar with the graphics world: in my line of work I have the tools and means to do in 2 hours or under the same job that an average guy in the same line of work can do it in 10-15 hours (and even way more than someone who do it from scratch) and, inherently, to charge the client less. Since the OP gave him the design and the instructions, no, I don’t think 2 hours is not enough. The price is another matter, though, I don’t know all the ins and outs in graphics world. But since the seller agreed on $5…

Anyway… the crappy result gig I was talking above was pretty similar with his experience - I ordered 5 different concept logos, I got 10 files with 2 logos on different backgrounds. And I ordered after we had a very detailed discussion on which we both agreed. When I confronted him, it all ended with him pointing the fact that the basic gig description states “up to 5 logos” and canceling the gig. So yeah, not being able to give and see negative reviews and canceled gigs really makes me think how much time I will waste on this kind of deals.

I agree on the fact that neither platform is ideal, but it seems to me that Fiverr, because it’s lack of transparency, requires the most amount of time to get used to and stay on top of the situation.

Since you mentioned the OP’s gig, and since I am a bit familiar with the graphics world: in my line of work I have the tools and means to do in 2 hours or under the same job that an average guy in the same line of work can do it in 10-15 hours (and even way more than someone who do it from scratch) and, inherently, to charge the client less. Since the OP gave him the design and the instructions, no, I don’t think 2 hours is not enough. The price is another matter, though, I don’t know all the ins and outs in graphics world. But since the seller agreed on $5…

Anyway… the crappy result gig I was talking above was pretty similar with his experience - I ordered 5 different concept logos, I got 10 files with 2 logos on different backgrounds. And I ordered after we had a very detailed discussion on which we both agreed. When I confronted him, it all ended with him pointing the fact that the basic gig description states “up to 5 logos” and canceling the gig. So yeah, not being able to give and see negative reviews and canceled gigs really makes me think how much time I will waste on this kind of deals.

I don’t think 2 hours is not enough.

My point was regarding the request for the job to be done instantly as well as the price.

not being able to give and see negative reviews and canceled gigs really makes me think how much time I will waste on this kind of deals.

Fiverr is clamping down on the abuse of the review system and has got rid of the option to have a negative review removed through cancellation. Sellers are also restricted in requesting changes in reviews. Furthermore, you will have got the option to give private feedback to Fiverr regarding the experience with the seller which I suspect led to the OP’s seller being booted from the platform. Leaving reviews without a completed order would be wide open to abuse. I do wish that a seller’s cancellation rate was public so buyers could see it. That would at least give some indication but then again, my cancellation rate went down to 95% because of a Fiverr bug where payments seemed to not go through, leading to multiple purchases which I then had to cancel!

The system is not perfect but if you spend a decent amount of money elsewhere, you can save a decent amount here. I have had 10 cancellations out of over 170 order with a total of several thousand dollars. It can be done but it takes some time to analyze and experiment first - in return you can get great quality for less money.

Archived