Solution for all the spam messages here

mariokluser

In this case, it probably would have more collateral damage than is plausible. Bot spammers can also switch IP’s many times in a second, so while blocking might help on a small forum where the spammers weren’t super-persistent, the ugly breed of spammers we are seeing are like chicken pox! They spread like a virus, make people feel itchy, look horrible, and seem to start in places where childish behavior is prevalent.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captcha has been tried for non-leveled sellers and I could see that being reconsidered at some point. I think it’s a little trickier because the forum uses an order Fiverr account for one-click logins (Fiverr Connect.) When you mix the social site with the e-commerce site, you have to be more careful.

I can’t speak for staff, but I know that the last time the captcha implementation created some new problems that would have taken longer to fix. Another solution was found that time so captcha was dropped. If they did decide to try it again, there would be some delays but I’m sure it’s still on the list of possibilities for new user accounts.

You are correct that this spam originates from a handful of individuals using automation, which makes it more difficult to control. Manual spam can generally be dealt with by moderators instead of added measures.

Just to be clear, though, things like the “online” light or repeat buyers in the inbox, none of these things are even remotely related to the forum issues. Core services and features are not affected by forum spam whether it is manual or bot-generated. They also have to be addressed by Customer Support and related departments, not by the forum admins or other forum team members.

RE : Core services and features are not affected by forum spam

I agree with that. I am not claiming that it is the forum spam which is causing the core Fiverr service to have problems. I am saying that probably whoever is targeting Fiverr, is using different tools to attack both, the forum and the core services at the same time, with different tools.

A : There is automated forum spam
B : There are bugs in the core service, some of which have shown up fairly recently (like the pink dot over the notifications keeps asking me to “deliver the gig on time” even after I have delivered it and gotten a 5 start review for it).

A and B might be mutually exclusive, technically speaking, but given that has happened simultaneously, co-incidence? maybe, maybe not.

The staff member was explaining that Fiverr was putting so much of their focus on the main site, they had been spread too thin to put as much focus on the forum. That was the relationship. All of the problems you mentioned on the main site have happened before, so I don’t see another link. This is just my opinion after watching Fiverr and the forum function over the years, so of course, your theories are welcome.

Regardless, my primary contention is that the suggestion to block entire countries without qualifiers, and the lack of censure for such opinions makes the Fiverr forum a less welcoming place for diversity. Not that it is technically or financially viable for Fiverr to block entire countries and regions from accessing their services, as it would hamper the core USP of the internet being a service/business that transcends borders to gain more market share, but still, the forum is getting more pungent day by day, and it seems the core moderation team is in no mood to amend it.

No wonder there are less than 6 active members on the forum despite the forum having been in existence since before the invention of sliced bread. Again, co-incidence? probably not. The job of moderation is not just to weed out the bad ones, but to also nudge the new ones to grow the community. If new members are being hounded by the established ones who see the newcomers as a threat to their vanity, the forum is going to be devoid of a vibrant community.

Weeding out outright spam is a different issue, but some people here seem to be too fond with the idea of throwing out many other babies with the bath water.

@silkroute Blocking entire countries is not on the list of possible actions, period. The users who are here are very welcome to give their suggestions even if they are extreme. That does not mean the suggestions will be utilized.

The core moderation team is a group of volunteers and very much “in the mood” to resolve this. These are sellers who volunteer time that they could be using to earn money. Any more comments saying negative things about the moderation team will not be tolerated. The staff members helping are developers, not moderators, and they are also very motivated. One even posted an apology in this thread since they are working overtime and are spread thin at the moment. Negative comments about staff will also not be tolerated.

If you think that there are only 6 active members on the forum, you haven’t been here long. I won’t respond to you again since you are now posting in a more hostile tone. I would suggest that you communicate nicely or take a time out from the forum for awhile. A moderator will take action on your posting behavior if necessary.

Guest paromac

The lack of censure from the fiverr community’s side for this kind of suggestion does make it seem less welcoming to diversity. And being a writer of colour who’s been freelancing for years, I have to admit I often find spaces - which should be safe harbours for all freelancers - full of internalised bigotry.

I also think given how few people regularly interact on the forum, it’s become a very small/closed community. So, if you openly disagree and/or point out a mindset that goes beyond “political incorrectness”, you are remembered. I doubt too many people are comfortable with it. If I hadn’t seen your comment, I wouldn’t have posted this either.

Finally, this isn’t actually a “solution” since regional bans don’t stop VPN users. Which any self-respecting programmer would be. It only affects legitimate sellers and buyers. On the other hand, what a neat excuse to eliminate competition.

Sorry? I’m an Indian like you and I have never experienced any bigotry or racism on Fiverr. Yes, the suggestion to ban certain geographies is something I don’t agree with, and it won’t be done. But you have no right to cast aspersions on Fiverr, Fiverr staff or moderators, or on the Fiverr community. They are doing a wonderful job.

Guest paromac

Hey @faunthaunt

It’s not the fault of the mod team. I know they are volunteers who are working hard to resolve the spam issue as well as look after the entire forum. I think @silkroute is more irritated by the lack of any comment (by others in this community) on what is implied by the OP’s “suggestion” which as you have pointed out is not even viable.

Thank you for answering the questions and being awesome as always.

Guest paromac

Hey @writer99025,

The fiver staff and mods have been great and are doing their job. I have no complaints about them. My comment was about letting the OP’s post go uncriticised. Which is something that has now been remedied by this string.

Protest registered, I’ll go back to my writing now. Peace. =)

Nice to hear that, ty.

Also, I had 3 issues with the site, one of them was that I couldn´t log into the forum anymore, once it was finally up again, and they reacted quickly and got me sorted out too. So thank you too to the often-dissed CS, namely Mia and Eddie!

I want to add my point of view in this valuable discussion . As as website developer i know this Forum is build on Wordpress. Wordpress is not very good option for forums because its not easy to stop spam. In some Asian countries spaming is business . They hire people to do spamming just for the sake of so called SEO or marketing .

So spamming is all over the world . So blocking entire country from the panel or entire zone is not the good options . Asian countries are top countries in freelance business all over the globe so thats not the best solution of this problem .

There must be some Run time quality checks same like in the Fiverr inbox or etc . Which detects spam. Some filters or Best solution is Fiverr need to hire some people to moderate the forum post along with the Already present team . They are doing best because its not easy to manage their work and also moderator so totally appreciation for those Sellers and Present moderator Teams. !!

So, many other things can be done . So thats just my observation…

Spammers use bots , tools which enter dummy email and registration bypass easily . So there must be phone number registration or validation ! Because its will defiantly decrease the . Until they not approved by number they will not able to allow to do Forums post . Actually the whole system of posting is works from main Fiverr Account . First thing can be done improved registration procedure . Then there must be captcha or Recaptcha premium one that is hard for bots and easy for human should be used before placing the Post article…

Thats just my observation i don’t know some of the people agree or not that just observation or my points of view ! have a good day …

with due to Respect. But Its the fact that Asian countries are in the top counteries in Freelance business, so any freelancering website on Internet would never agree to damage asian traffic . I also not agree to ban whole zone .

There must be some other good solution of this problem as many of people are saying in this chat . 🙂

Just FYI to @pintoo0 - staff is aware that WordPress probably won’t be a long term solution, but in the meantime they are working on methods to get this resolved. It’s happened before and it was fixed, and it will happen again and be fixed. I think eventually the forum will be re-done again, but right now it is too soon and there aren’t enough human resources to do it.

The forum is moderated and there will be more of it in coming times. It isn’t possible at this time to have paid moderators though, and going through each post prior to allowing it is more than volunteers can do right now. The good news is that once the bot spam is under control, the human moderators can handle most of the other ordinary things that happen. Things will get better in time.

As an aside to everyone else, thank you to those who understand what staff, the volunteer mods and others are trying to get done. We appreciate your support. We also support users who want to give their opinions even if controversial, but when they cross the lines into regional discrimination, moderation becomes more strict. Even so, the people who get frustrated with bad sellers do have a point and we ask them not to post against ethnic groups, but we all want less fake and dishonest sellers. Calling out fake and dishonest sellers just needs to be handled in a way that doesn’t insult the good sellers from the same regions. In spite of tension in this thread, this community can remain and grow more in being a strong group. Everyone hang in there. 🙂

Archived