Best way to provide writing samples?

alexanderamanda

Sometimes potential buyers ask to see examples of work (copywriting) I’ve done. What’s the best way to go about this? Is it better to send them direct links to my work on a customer’s website? Send writing I’ve done for others as an attachment via message? Should I write a few pieces to serve only as samples?

I like sending links to websites I’ve worked closely with that feature a lot of my work, but is this appropriate? Or in bad taste?

I would suggest that you ask those people you have worked closely with before giving the links. It is just a matter of courtesy. Also, you might find that the buyer contacts the site you link to asking for verification. If you have permission from them they will most likely endorse your work and be a reliable referral.

Most people will be happy for you to link to them, unless they are trying to pass your work off as theirs. If you have posted things on the forum, you could link to those too depending on their content.

I’ve used screen caps of snippets from pieces I’ve written; the snippets are part of my live portfolio. I don’t like the sending links or actual files of written work because there’s no telling what will happen once they receive it; especially if the sample focuses on a topic they are interested in having you write on that very topic.

I usually send something I’ve written recently as an attachment. Other people might prefer to be more cautious, but I haven’t run into any problems with it. Most of the time, after I send someone a sample, they order from me. I don’t think there are lots of people running off with a sample and publishing it themselves, although that is a possibility.

I’ve included a little disclaimer on my gig page along the lines of “I reserve the right to keep writing I’ve done for you in my portfolio and use it as a sample unless you request otherwise.” That way I’m covered, and if anyone asks me not to share their writing, I just save it separately.

Sending links (if you have the customer’s permission) can be a great way to show not only your work, but also to show what a great company/business/website hired you to do it; however, website owners sometimes change the texts on their sites, so it could be a good idea to check the links from time to time to make certain you don’t send your potential buyers to something someone else has written.

By the way, this approach is well done IMO, so I would look at this site. One of the main reasons I suggest this particular site is that while the URL itself is not pre-approved, it took me only a moment to click on it and look for the biggest red flag - the dreaded Contact Page. When I went to his contact page, it directed users right back to Fiverr.

Now, I will offer a caution that sending links (or posting them on the forum) is even safer if they are known sites that are on the pre-approved list in the Fiverr ToS and the forum rules. Using your own domain like this is slightly riskier since a Customer Support rep in a hurry might still have an issue. However, the risk is low since the site guides readers back to Fiverr and if the link is given in an attachment, it has little chance of getting buyer or seller into trouble. Nice site, Charles!

Archived